welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 261, 262, 263 ... 292, 293, 294  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he says he took it because it was the only one that fit in his schedule. now, why his schedule was so full up is not mentioned.

but yay for the ontario human rights tribunal for calling bullshit! or as they said:
Quote:
The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal believed differently, however: “The applicant has not satisfied me that his claimed discomfort in a classroom of women requires accommodation under the [Ontario Human Rights] Code. He admitted that his discomfort is based on his own ‘individual preference’ as a shy person.”

Kim also provided no evidence of being “excluded, disadvantaged or treated unequally on the basis of his gender,” in part because his discomfort was based on “mere speculation as he never gave the class, or the women, a chance.”

so the "i'm a special snowflake, all i need is to be afraid i might be scared" excuse is a no-go, at least in ontario.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, he never even tried, he just up and left. I can't claim my professor is a shit if I never talk to him.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could buy that maybe he had actual anxiety. A lot of guys I've talked to and read of who have social anxiety are terrible around women. (So much MRA style whining!)

However, even if that is true, why not drop the class earlier, or go to the dean with this problem? Seems like the beginning of the course would have been best to deal with this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, yeah - if it was that bad, when he walked out of the classroom he should have gone straight to drop the class. it doesn't sound like he needed it for his major, or anything...that's probably the biggest mystery, why did he take it at all? i would think it would be pretty easy to guess that a women's studies class would be likely to attract a lot of women, so while it might have been a surprise that he was the _only_ man, he should have expected he might be in the minority.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my women's studies class in college we had I think two guys? One of them was apparently a huge republican and I only remember him because we'd just watched a video on women's suffrage and he piped up to say that in his experience, as a republican, going door to door harassing people about his politics, he found that women just didn't seem as interested in politics as the men.

It didn't go over well.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo, _that's_ a discussion i would have like to hear. did you all manage to explain to him that being interested in politics does not necessarily have to mean you want to interrupt whatever you are doing to argue them in your own home with some passing stranger?
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty funny all around. I don't remember who said it (I'd like to say it was me, but my memory is really awful so who knows) but someone was like "Eeeeyah we did just watch an entire video about how republicans fought tooth and nail to keep us from having the right to -vote-. YA THINK it might have something to do with the fact that you're republican? Maybe a little?"

Someone also mentioned the whole "wow maybe they just didn't want to deal with your face" thing, which is also totally valid.

And there was the general "So you are literally sitting in the middle of a class FULL of ladies who care about politics. Are you stupid."

I'm sure more elegant points were made as well but to be honest there were a LOT of people trying to talk, haha.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Feminism post on DeviantArt which is nicely thought out.

Don't don't don't don't don't don't don't read the comments. Don't. They're made by terribly young people who truly don't know jack shit (but think they do because they surf a few websites) and they'll just drive you insane.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Don't don't don't don't don't don't don't read the comments. Don't. They're made by terribly young people who truly don't know jack shit (but think they do because they surf a few websites) and they'll just drive you insane.

Link?
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Yinello wrote:

Link?

I lost it cuz I was too impatient. x.x Sorry.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talking about this insanely popular poemthing (insanely popular by deviantArt standards, anyway. It's currently number 2 in "most popular 30 days", but the number of people who have seen it number in the thousands, not millions, and not even all that many thousands because deviantArt's ranking algorithms give preferential treatment to things in less popular categories like "Traditional Fixed Forms")

because honestly I find it extremely disappointing as a collection of arguments and not very interesting as a poem. It feels like it's just doing a bad job of ripping off the much more convincing "I need feminism because" tumblog.

Wading into the comments indeed drudges up a few arguments of a slightly lower caliber (there's someone saying that they're transphobic because... something something masturbation? WTF? Oh, what they really mean is religion, that makes more sense.) but stupid comments are to be expected on anything and everything, and since the poem itself is far from golden, yet has drawn so much attention, many of the comments make better points both for and against. Sure, some of them are "made by terribly young people who truly don't know jack shit", but then so was the poem.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
are you talking about this insanely popular poemthing (insanely popular by deviantArt standards, anyway. It's currently number 2 in "most popular 30 days", but the number of people who have seen it number in the thousands, not millions, and not even all that many thousands because deviantArt's ranking algorithms give preferential treatment to things in less popular categories like "Traditional Fixed Forms")

Jesus Christ you know it's bad when the comments are almost more interesting than the content.

And the comments were terrible. On all sides. A veritable tidal wave of hyperbole, intentional obtusiveness, and echo-chambering.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

because honestly I find it extremely disappointing as a collection of arguments and not very interesting as a poem. It feels like it's just doing a bad job of ripping off the much more convincing "I need feminism because" tumblog.

Wading into the comments indeed drudges up a few arguments of a slightly lower caliber (there's someone saying that they're transphobic because... something something masturbation? WTF? Oh, what they really mean is religion, that makes more sense.) but stupid comments are to be expected on anything and everything, and since the poem itself is far from golden, yet has drawn so much attention, many of the comments make better points both for and against. Sure, some of them are "made by terribly young people who truly don't know jack shit", but then so was the poem.

No, that's not the one. It was definitely an article and not a poem.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,
maybe it would turn up if we looked at the Journals section

I don't care enough to wade through the torrents of promotions and "givaways" and teenage wangst that fills the most-viewed Journals on that site, though -- and that's assuming the thing you're talking about was highly viewed, which I guess isn't necessarily a reasonable assumption.
quality != popularity

An actual search for feminism in the Journals category primarily yields things like "10 reasons to oppose feminism" and "deconstructing feminism" and "Why Modern Feminism Is Rich White Woman’s Privilege"
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that poem only came to mind when you mentioned "feminism post on deviantArt" because it's shoved in my face every time I end up on the home page of that site

the way my monitor is set up, spot #2 occupies the part of the screen that is positioned DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF MY EYES

I've seen it twice more, now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 261, 262, 263 ... 292, 293, 294  Next
Page 262 of 294

Jump to: