Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fanon, ideas and, critiques for the webcomic sinfest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Fanon, ideas and, critiques for the webcomic sinfest Reply with quote

Just something I thought would be fun, and help make the forum feel less stressful.

Basically, we all share what we like about the comic, what we don't like about the comic, character interpretation, possible arcs we'd like to see, and how we think the world of sinfest works.

In order to keep this thread positive let's make it a rule that every time you talk about a negative aspect about the comic, you must also talk about a positive aspect.

Example: while I agree with some of Ishidas political views, the way he adds them into the comic feels forced, and can be heavy handed to the point that it becomes uncomfortable. On the other hand, I love the world Ishida has created. It feels so unique and original, that I can't help but want to know more about it, and am intised by all the little details Ishida has artfully add over the years.

Some thing like that just, you know, a lot better written.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsuya Ishida has an author insert character in the comic. It's Percy.
Chuck The Jester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but draw a parallel between Tat and Dave Sim. Folks will throw "the Cerebus effect" at Sinfest as a criticism, but I read it as high compliment. The only criticisms I have for Tat would be: a near-nonexistent storytelling pace and choices in character development that at times seem like they get drawn out of a hat. But I can't even say those are criticism. He's been doing this daily since 2000. The labor he's undertaken shines beyond any flaws I perceive.

I find myself wondering these days how he'll want it to end. If he has that finish line date in mind already, and just needs to get there. Or not. Maybe just keep writing...until.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy, Tatsuya Ishida's author-insert character, is actually an expy for Frieza from the Dragonball manga. He was changed to a cat for copyright reasons.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains everything.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this might make an interesting story arc.

Xanthes favorite book just got turned into a movie, and she really wants to go see it. However, on the day of the premiere, the other girls of the sisster start making fun of the series, unaware that Xanthe is a fan.

Xanthe begins to feel self counciouse about her love for the book series but, still wanting to see the film, so she starts going to excessiv lengths inorder to not get caught seeing the movie.

Somthing like this could be really humanizing for Xanthe, and give her relatable characterization outside of her feminist beleaf, as well as put her in some humores situations.

It could also carry the message to not let what other people say, dictate what you enjoy.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy, Tatsuya Ishida's author-insert Frieza expy, was originally going to be a fox to match Tat's fursona. But he changed it to a house cat for the comic because everybody else was a fox already.

Last edited by WheelsOfConfusion on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Absynthe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Percy, Tatsuya Ishida's author-insert Frieza expy, was originally going to be a fox to mach Tat's fursona. But he changed it to a house cat for the comic because everybody else was a fox already.

2018 is the year of Kitsune Ishida
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy, Tatsuya Ishida's self-insert Frieza expy fox-cum-cat* fursona, was originally going to be the star of the comic. This was before it was called Sinfest, and back when it was going to be called My Life as a Teenage Fox in Jesusland, With Hos.
The character of the main Ho was eventually redesigned as Squiggly.

It was originally going to be autobiographical, until Tat's job on Dark Horse's North American Godzilla title demanded too much of his time. He scaled back the plot, continuity, and redesigned some of the characters to make the format easier to get to in spare moments.

In the process, he began pondering the meaning of purely artistic endeavors in a world where man must work to live, and art is commercial. It began to eat away at his nerves, like the talking nerve louse he'd kept as a childhood pet, only bad because this existential nerve-eater didn't love him back. Not in any way that most men could perceive. And it certainly couldn't tell him it did, unlike the talking nerve louse.

So Tat worked and he worked, and in between work he'd draw his new comic despite the compromises to his original vision. He'd tell himself that it was worth it to earn a living; to scale back the ambition of the original project so he'd have enough hours in the day and tendons in the arm for the stuff that brought in the checks. The toll it took on him did not show, for he was an artist through and through.

*No.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such a fanbo... fangi... fanthingy, it's embarassing. I think Tat's the greatest thing since the invention of the internet. I even love the glacial pace. There are stories I prefer going slow.

The only thing I don't like is the anvil-laden misandry and the accompanying SWERFiness. But apart from that? I love the humor, I love the characters and I love the art and I LOVE that the art keeps developing. I looooooove Sinfest.

Of course, I'm actually Tat. Duh.
Chuck The Jester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His art style has really taken off. I love the "panel-less" technique he's got going on.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the forum really that stressful? did the pedophile come back?
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
is the forum really that stressful? did the pedophile come back?

wat.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes - we get everything here. it's been a while, though - although someone said he was still staking out the old forum.

don't worry about it, if he comes back you will spot the uproar.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ridiculation will be observable from orbit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: