welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Powerful Woman in the World

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nargrakhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Most Powerful Woman in the World Reply with quote

Who do you think is currently the most powerful woman in the world (or perhaps most powerful woman ever).

Not a trick or loaded question... just seriously curious to read about the persons that get mentioned.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some billionaire with private assets in the tens if not hundreds of billions.

As far as public figures go it's Oprah.

Some might say Angela Merkel, but no politician is going to be as powerful as a wealthy business person who is less constrained by red tape. This would also eliminate ladies like Janet Yellen who are in positions that they do no completely control.

Oprah has not only the business and financial clout but she is also a cultural icon whose opinions can sway millions of people to make changes in their lifestyles and/or spending habits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Probably some billionaire with private assets in the tens if not hundreds of billions.

As far as public figures go it's Oprah.

Oprah has not only the business and financial clout but she is also a cultural icon whose opinions can sway millions of people to make changes in their lifestyles and/or spending habits.

I see your Opra and raise Sonia Ghandi, let's talk billion of persons instead.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said

Quote:
no politician is going to be as powerful as a wealthy business person who is less constrained by red tape.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really comes down to how you want to define power.
Pineapple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh the ability to change things to suit your will

so yeah
Oprah (unfortunately) or some unseen billionaire

Last edited by Pineapple on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean strong in the REAL way.
Pineapple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

♬ why do you have to look up to her
aside from in a literal sense
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspective.

It's the old choice. Who is the most powerful?, an absolute king (or business woman) with a small power base or a leader with far less power over a much larger base.

History classes made me dubious whenever absolute power is concerned, so I go for the larger base all the time.
Pineapple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineapple wrote:
uhhh the ability to change things to suit your will

so yeah
Oprah (unfortunately) or some unseen billionaire

or maybe some less-rich person who is smarter and leverages it better
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so like anne coulter? or whatever raving fox lunatic has the biggest fan base.

....i'm not sure she's smarter, but she's got a pulpit, and an audience. and given that the audience doesn't seem to be all that bright...
Pineapple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having more influence over fewer smarter or more key people is better

and it's better if it's used in a smarter way

and having obvious direct influence over people isn't necessarily needed to be powerful either
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Some might say Angela Merkel, but no politician is going to be as powerful as a wealthy business person who is less constrained by red tape. This would also eliminate ladies like Janet Yellen who are in positions that they do no completely control.

on the contrary, i would consider strong executive types to have considerably more power and leverage on a total scale than any CEO. the president of the U.S. is going to be considerably more powerful than any present-day CEO.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

on the contrary, i would consider strong executive types to have considerably more power and leverage on a total scale than any CEO. the president of the U.S. is going to be considerably more powerful than any present-day CEO.

So are you saying Merkel or someone else (like say Janet Yellen) OR is it one of those "I can't pick just one but here's a list with no order" kinda things?
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i have no real way of structuring it real rigorously but from a sociological perspective i would be looking at a comparison of heads of state that compares several factors that include:

- the size of the populace that they effectively represent as head of state,

- the actual sociopolitical power of the state relative to the total balance of international powers and concerns,

- the individual's de jure capacities as an executive/leader/ruler, to effect change or project force of any kind ranging from economic to violent

- the individual's de facto capabilities, stated and (usually) unstated, to effect change or project force of any kind ranging from economic to violent

by this set of metrics Angela Merkel appears to be the winner- she will rank higher than Park Geun-hye, and both will be WELL above any other contender in either the heads of state category or the business leader category, say, Rousseff, Wojcicki, Fernández de Kirchner, Bachelet, or even Indrawati (of the World Bank)

If Hillary Clinton becomes the president of the US, she will eclipse any of the above by an absurd margin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: