welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voting and shit
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Voting and shit Reply with quote

So I feel like ranting about voting, being as its election day and I'm that kind of asshole.

First, good. Oregons system is the most ridiculously great way to vote ever. Like 2 weeks before the election you get your ballot in the mail, which you can either mail back, or drop in one of dozens of drop boxes located all around town. On top of which, the ballots are basic bubbletest fill in the dot next to your choice with lots of space between choices.

Second bad. I really hope this top 2 primary thing doesn't go through here. I've been holding my breath for primary free instant runoff elections for some time. Something like that could do more to a: let people vote their conscience without the fear of handing an election to someone they're completely opposed to, and b: promote more moderate candidates that may be able to work together to actually accomplish something AND refrain from crazy wild swings in policy.

Third, mixed. I really REALLY wish we had a mandatory voting policy like other nations. People can whine about government compulsion all they want but I really don't think we get the country we deserve unless everyone votes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Voting and shit Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
People can whine about government compulsion all they want but I really don't think we get the country we deserve unless everyone votes.

YES YES YES. I completely agree with this. I would also like it so that election day is an actual holiday AND same-day registration across the board. There should be NO reason for anybody to not be able to vote.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Voting and shit Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Second bad. I really hope this top 2 primary thing doesn't go through here. I've been holding my breath for primary free instant runoff elections for some time.

Likewise, 90 is just such a hilariously bad idea in basically every way.
tomsalmon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Voting and shit Reply with quote

KillAllMen wrote:

YES YES YES. I completely agree with this. I would also like it so that election day is an actual holiday AND same-day registration across the board. There should be NO reason for anybody to not be able to vote.

i don't live in america, that's a good reason not to be able to vote
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Voting and shit Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Second bad. I really hope this top 2 primary thing doesn't go through here. I've been holding my breath for primary free instant runoff elections for some time.

Likewise, 90 is just such a hilariously bad idea in basically every way.

Itl probably pass though. A supposed COMMUNIST i know was totally for it which just blows my mind. Instant runoff gives 3rd parties a chance, top 2 open primary strangles them in their graves.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel I"m totally wrong, its getting thrashed soundly. Legal pot is a bit ahead, no state debt for student relief, judges will get to teach/serve in the national guard, GMO labelling is the only thing close enough to be within a few percentage points.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 screws everyone too equally for me to see it passing. Oregon just isn't solidly blue or red enough for either party to like it, and any third party with half a brain should see that it's their doom.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: I'm always glad to see Art Robinson lose miserably for the hundredth time.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss told me he doesn't vote, then went on to tell me all about how he likes ND just the way it is all nice and conservative and how he doesn't want it to change.

I just tried not to say anything.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Also: I'm always glad to see Art Robinson lose miserably for the hundredth time.

That guy is gonna bankrupt himself doing this, what is this the 3rd or 4th time its been him/defazio?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
My boss told me he doesn't vote, then went on to tell me all about how he likes ND just the way it is all nice and conservative and how he doesn't want it to change.

I just tried not to say anything.

Mannnnndatoryvoooooting

If i ever come into some money im going to campaign for that in oregon, alongside instant runoff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

That guy is gonna bankrupt himself doing this, what is this the 3rd or 4th time its been him/defazio?

Sounds about right.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a lot of people expect things to change a lot when there's a new president which makes no sense. Things like the Economic Crisis are big, you can't just solve them like that. Hell, we would've done that by now if we could. No wonder people get disheartened if they expect so much. Your vote is important but the person you're voting for won't bring about world peace.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing defines a right more than being forced to exercise it.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle Obama for President!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: