welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: M'ores Reply with quote

There are social ethics. Usually they are given vaguely tasty sounding names like "Mores."

Legal codes and nominal cultural interactions create moral systems which are, in practice, national ethic.

Also, there's a handful of cultural universals which could be said to constitute a world-wide ethic.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marie, if you're interested, I found Feinberg's Social Philosophy really interesting (and at just over a hundred pages, it's a pretty quick read). It wouldn't do much in the way of addressing your first post, but it both defines basic conceptual principles and discusses the prevalent normative claims regarding social policy which I consider to be the only type of ethical code we have on a national level.

(Thanks, Sam. Your post reminded me of the book.)
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eth·ic (thk) n.

1) A set of principles of right conduct.
2) A theory or a system of moral values: “An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain” (Gregg Easterbrook).
ethics (used with a sing. verb) The study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person; moral philosophy.
ethics (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.

mor al
adj.
1) Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
2) Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior: a moral lesson.
3) Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.
4) Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong: a moral obligation.
5) Having psychological rather than physical or tangible effects: a moral victory; moral support.
6) Based on strong likelihood or firm conviction, rather than on the actual evidence: a moral certainty.

n.
1) The lesson or principle contained in or taught by a fable, a story, or an event.
2) A concisely expressed precept or general truth; a maxim.
morals Rules or habits of conduct, especially of sexual conduct, with reference to standards of right and wrong: a person of loose morals; a decline in the public morals.
Mystic Llama Herder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sex before marriage is a moral.
Not disclosing what your patients have disclosed to you as a psychiatrist is ethical.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmoten wrote:
No sex before marriage is a choice based on personal ethics
Not disclosing what your patients have disclosed to you as a psychiatrist is morally acceptable.

Couldn't both ways work?

Edited to not sound like as much of an asshole.

Last edited by Azmoten on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic Llama Herder wrote:
No sex before marriage is a moral.

Ah say, ah say there boy, I do believe that there is a choice.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmoten wrote:

Edited to not sound like as much of an asshole.

why start now? Very Happy

haha! just kidding. hey, put down tha -- AHHH!
Azmoten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stab stab stab
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
So basically, it would be pretty impossible to have a code of ethics on a national scale? Because everyone is too different.

but i think there are some things everyone can agree on - you know, not killing, lying, stealing, misrepresenting yourself, etc. pretty basic, but you can build on them.
jsimpleton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
So basically, it would be pretty impossible to have a code of ethics on a national scale? Because everyone is too different.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "code of ethics on a national scale". Our nation has a set of laws that decides what is right and wrong, if that's what you mean. (these laws are usually decided by the majority of people and like Howard Cosell says "What's right isn't always popular. What's popular isn't always right.")

If you mean something like a moral code that everyone can agree on as being either right or wrong, then i'd have to say its extremely unlikely to happen. The reason I think this is because sociopaths exist in our nation.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
It seems ya'll are defining morals as a personal thing when stating it differently is more correct: Ethics are a society's system of accepted thoughts and behaviors or those that are accepted. Truely there isn't much of a difference between "morals" and "ethics" in usage outside the classroom but ethics is considered to be the broader term. In other words, "ethics" usually includes "morals" though it isn't the other way around (again, usage varies). Both have to do with "right and wrong" actions/thoughts/etc and they are defined by the society/culture and do not have to be written down. When a system meant to guide is put down or formalized into "law," it becomes a code which is included in "ethics."

it seems y'all just muddled about without adding or clarifying.

nice countryfication, though.

It added and clarified what with the putting it into the classroom, showing that ethics is the broader term and adding the part about coding. I don't usually have to explain what I added to the conversation. Here - point: Ethics encompases morals in practice while in theory it is the other way around.

And I can't help it if only the south has realized that there needs to be a difference between you and you (pl).

Desire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Desire wrote:

but i think there are some things everyone can agree on - you know, not killing, lying, stealing, misrepresenting yourself, etc. pretty basic, but you can build on them.

Are they really agreed on though anymore? I know once upon a time they were... people actually lived by them but how much do they mean, what do they truly stand for now? Especially when the people who represent our nation and its people flaunt most of them pretty openly? And we're not even shocked or even surprised by it anymore.

I'll try to get ahold of the book Kara mentioned, mayeb that'll help me clarify my thoughts some. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with these concepts or figuring out where they're trying to lead even. It is frustrating. :\

jsimp: In theory our laws are created by the majority. But it doesn't seem like this is the reality anymore. And I guess our laws/judicial system is the closest I could find to a code of ethics in this country so what does that bode for us?
Lurhis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're having a hard time with morality and government? The two don't really meet eye to eye. Not only that, if your trying to discover what is right and wrong, good and evil you have an endless road ahead of you. Many things we can agree are evil: murder, stealing, blackmail, etc. but what about abortion? Is that murder? (I should make a thread, that'd be fun)

The lines blur and everything goes to hell. My suggestion to you, is find your own morality. A starting place? Neitzsche's Beyond Good and Evil (it's not as sinister as the title may suggest).
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not morality -

sounds like marie is looking to put her finger on a workable ethical standard that is universal enough to apply to folks from one shining sea to the other one.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
only the south has realized that there needs to be a difference between you and you (pl).

Yeah. If there's one thing I hate it's the singular y'all. WTF? Get it right, Yankees!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: