welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you Kickstartering?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But stripey, you don't have to be rich to visit a library! Or volunteer at one, and make some child's day!
Finnegan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Oooooh.......

I love the art style! And did I read right that there will be metal music in it? I so want to play this! And from the preview, it looks like I would be able to without getting nauseous!

That is definitely a cool premise, too. I hope they get the money!

Indeed, the art is beautiful with sort of a Irish feel to it. It reminds me of the style of animation used in that "Secret of Kells" movie (which itself was influenced by the art in the great book, itself). Although I am forced to disagree with stripeypants regarding any enthusiasm expressed over the choice of music. The more traditional Celtic music used in the beginning of the trailer/video pitch was working wonderfully, there's no need to use metal (though I suppose they did, at least, use metal that contained Celtic influences). Depending on how this month goes I could see myself throwing down $15 for this game... more if I wasn't so damn poor.

I wholeheartedly agree about the major flaws in kickstarter's ability to match you up with something you would actually want to support.

I tend to be inclined toward looking for new music, and since you're able to narrow things down by specifying a location, more often than not I find myself just using it to support local musicians.
-on the one hand this has worked out great as I've actually become pretty good friends with some of the people I've met that way.
-on the other hand, though, kickstarter's crappy search engine and refusal to remove projects that had received their funding like three years ago keeps leading me to projects that I would be more than happy to fund (and get perks from) and who's sound I really dig, but since the project ended back in 2011 not only can I not do any of that but I also can never seem to get my hands on any of the music they produced.
-I should mention that I search by genre (bluegrass mostly, some folk and old-timey string bands) probably more often than I do location, since I don't live in what one might consider an 'overly populated area'.

I also like to support projects benefiting the LGBTQ community, but again, the search engine makes it a pain in the ass to track down many of those projects, let alone ones that are still active.

The real problem, I guess, is kickstarter's tendency to emphasize projects that are active but have already surpassed their goals and projects that have already ended. Like I just found these guys who came up with these awesome fingerpicks that you wear over your whole finger and seem like they would really make trying to learn some of these banjo techniques so much easier, but since I missed out on when it was still active and on my chance to get some as a perk, now it just seems really unlikely I'll find a way to get my hands on some (uh, no pun intended... I think).

Of course if you happen to be after a jew dog sticker or Magic: the Gathering Card Art Necklaces well, then, look no farther than the front page.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im kickstartering epic potato salad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
But stripey, you don't have to be rich to visit a library! Or volunteer at one, and make some child's day!

I work at one, so really I just want LeVar Burton to come visit me at work

I think our puppet stage makes more children's days than me, though. (Unless you count a child being delighted to find the book they want. Then that's totally my doing.)

But yes, volunteering at the library = awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are lots of projects I'd love to see money go to, I really dig how simple and honest the potato salad kickstarter is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

I work at one, so really I just want LeVar Burton to come visit me at work

I think our puppet stage makes more children's days than me, though. (Unless you count a child being delighted to find the book they want. Then that's totally my doing.)

But yes, volunteering at the library = awesome!

Making kids laugh and learn is great.

They look at you like you have all the answers to every question in the world.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks fun.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids do a good job entertaining themselves. We have a puppet stage, and it's the best thing ever. I don't think anyone can top the saga of the Animal Superheros who took down the evil Clifford the Big Red Dog.

Also, I really love hearing the kids who whine because they want to take more books home, or they want more time to read. That's just a delightful problem to have!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: