welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you Kickstartering?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Eh... I've donated to a few kickstarters now, and not a single one of them was because I saw it on kickstarter's front page first.

(Most of 'em were for artists I was already following on tumblr or twitter.)

Ok I've napped and sobered up a bit.

All I'm really asking for is the ability to readily and easily browse any and all projects in need of funding.

The question is: why doesn't it have this feature.

Invoking Occam, it seems like their current setup is designed to make them seem more successful at financing people's projects then they really are.

Or maybe setting up a custom, functional and useful search/browse feature isn't easy and they're not actually self-aggrandizing jerkasses so maybe that shouldn't be the default assumption.
There's a reason so many websites just default to Google's tools for their own site-search functionality.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Invoking Occam, it seems like their current setup is designed to make them seem more successful at financing people's projects then they really are.

But kickstarter is not responsible for the success or promotion of the projects on kickstarter. One uses kickstarter to fund its projects not promote their projects.

It's financing platform not an advertising platform.

Kickstarter would fail if:
Failed to deliver funds to the project owner upon successful completion of poject
Failed to return funds to the investors upon unsuccessful project.

In short it's not kickstarters failure people pledge to unrealistic projects.

This is like complaining that a bank doesn't have a search engine for bank accounts of various charities.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then eliminate the "staff's picks" categories.

It's like that guy who got $30,000+ from the weird animal drawings he was doing.

I believe that project would have never achieved it's funding if not for the staff's recommendation. That kid didn't advertise really, he got lucky that the staff liked his idea.

It seems like the percentage of "staff pick's" that achieve their funding versus "non-staff picks" is quite significant. To me, it speaks of their desire for profitability versus their own words of "Kickstarterís mission is to help bring creative projects to life".

The four categories in browsing Kickstarter are: Staff Picks, Popular This Week, Recently Successfully Funded, and Recent Updates (which is replaced by Most Funded if you browse a category)

Not only that, when you browse through the Recently Updated category, it's cumbersome and displays the full updates, not just a list of projects.

And you know where this is all found , don't you? under their "discover" link

I was under the impression that this was designed to let people peruse projects. When I'm saying is that this feature could and should be better, and the most logical reason as to why it's setup the way it is would be to make Kickstarter's success rate for funding projects higher than what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Funded is kind of a weird category. I guess that equates with "popular" to some degree... though, seriously, 3Doodler?... anyway, I agree that finding projects would be easier if there were a more Amazon-like search, where you could rearrange a list by funding, by percentage funded, by time left, etc.

But it's also true that Kickstarter isn't an advertising platform and maybe if you want to get Kickstarted you shouldn't just cross your fingers and hope to become a staff pick.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also enjoy being able to find more new projects easily instead of what is curated for me, but it is what it is. I'm not interested in most of the staff picks either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on starting a kickstarter for a comic/animation project. I've noticed quite a few people have had luck getting comics kickstarted, but they usually have a bit more to offer than whats on my hard drive currently (2 gb's of sketchy tablet drawings and a story that's been rehashed 10 times).

I hope that once I have 10 finished pages of something, I'll be confident enough to put everything up on kickstarter.

I honestly don't know if this idea I have should be a comic, cartoon, or a shitty indie game or something, but I do feel like I need to pay some other people to help me finish it, and that's where the motivation to start a kick starter comes from. Money talks right? So if I get any pledges it will be a type of confirmation that my idea appeals to someone?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
(Most of 'em were for artists I was already following on tumblr or twitter.)

While not kickstarter, I think it was indeigogo, I've done the same.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYBODY GO KICKSTARTER READING RAINBOW FOR THE INTERWEBS!
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who weren't sure, that sound you just heard was the collective wallets of the entire internet opening up at once.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

What was the total when you posted?
It's now already over goal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely funded in under twelve hours, stretch goals to come in the next few days.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went up about $200,000 since my last post in this thread Shocked
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

When I saw it, it was $300,000.

And that was over six hours ago.

JEBUS that funded fast.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

It was about $335K. Now it's $1,463,230 and going up by a few hundred bucks every few seconds.

The Internet comes through! Probably doesn't hurt that some traditional media picked up on it early.

Is there a way to nominate someone for a Congressional Medal of Honor? Because I think LeVar Burton needs some serious civic awards to place among his heaps of TV honors.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to be in the military to get a medal of honor (star fleet probably doesn't count). what you want is the presidential medal of freedom

i guess there is a nominating process, have to dig around some on that site to find it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: