welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Is Porn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Estranged



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think i know the real problem here, you just don't actually know any women. maybe you should meet some! it's okay, i'll wait.


@ShadowCell
I'm married with a kid, remember?
The dating scene is closed off for me.

Regarding what real women think...
I once asked my sister if she likes a guy on a photo. She said:
"I don't know, I don't know him yet".
(I was like - WTF)

I once asked the wife of a friend to tell me if I look well. She said:
"It doesn't matter, I already know you for ages."

I have seen numerous times how good-looking guys, much better built then me get rejected because they don't know what to say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6027
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really believe you when you say that you're married with a kid, but all the same

shit man, who knew, all those women fawning over the guy who played that werewolf dude in Twilight were actually interested in his "social attractiveness" and not his "physical attractiveness" the whole time! which i guess means they were really impressed by his "social attractiveness" when he took his shirt off! good thing the infinite mind of Estranged knows what they want and can set them all straight.

good christ, man. you are embarrassing yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorick



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 12101
Location: In the undersnow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estranged wrote:
Quote:
i think i know the real problem here, you just don't actually know any women. maybe you should meet some! it's okay, i'll wait.


@ShadowCell
I'm married with a kid, remember?
The dating scene is closed off for me.



married with a kid
when you should be havin' fun

_________________
Currently experiencing: not summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lich Mong



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estranged wrote:
@ShadowCell
I'm married with a kid, remember?
The dating scene is closed off for me.

Regarding what real women think...
I once asked my sister if she likes a guy on a photo. She said:
"I don't know, I don't know him yet".
(I was like - WTF)

I once asked the wife of a friend to tell me if I look well. She said:
"It doesn't matter, I already know you for ages."

I have seen numerous times how good-looking guys, much better built then me get rejected because they don't know what to say.


Yeah, and they've more or less proven those responses are -in fact- cultural conditioning not biological. Men and woman look to different physical stimuli in potential mates, but BOTH are visual. You can find these studies with a quick google search. (also, I don't know about anyone else, but while physical attraction is important, I like someone I can talk to as well. If my wife was dumb it would not have mattered how hot she was, I would not have married her.)

So, while your single example is an interesting personal anecdote, its not a rigors study and the conclusions you draw from it are wrong.

To go off on a bit of a tangent myself,
I would say -Estranged- that this seems to be a pattern in much of where you draw your personal beliefs from. While personal experience is pretty good for getting someone through a day, its not something you really want to draw sweeping generalizations from. It leads to statements like "All of my buddies said they voted for McCain, therefor the election must have been rigged!"

The people around you might think a certain way -and you might as well- but that's not enough to draw the conclusions you are drawing about all people everywhere. In general, you might want to do a little more research than just asking your sister what she thinks.
_________________
A MtG Webcomic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estranged



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i don't really believe you when you say that you're married with a kid, but all the same

shit man, who knew, all those women fawning over the guy who played that werewolf dude in Twilight were actually interested in his "social attractiveness" and not his "physical attractiveness" the whole time!


It doesn't matter what you believe about me. I can easily prove it if it would matter anything. I'm a married loser who lost his virginity too late.

Regarding Twilight, without the whole setup, the werewolf dude would be an empty shell and they wouldn't care about him. Sure, being physically attractive helps, but it's overrated. "Chemistry" is crucial for women, hence social attractiveness is more important.

Even if we assume you are right, what does this prove? You think that if you brainwash people to not care about physical attractiveness, they won't? Internet is the only place where it doesn't matter how we look. Once again, technology, not brainwashing, allows things to change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estranged



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lich Mong, buddy, while you're doing research, the scary feminists will take away your porn. Have fun researching but don't tell me I haven't warned you! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10610
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistically, for any large group of heterosexual people of consenting age, the mean number of sexual partners should be equal. All those women have to be having sex with someone, right?

Unfortunately, when we ask, according to CDC data, men age 25-44 report twice as many partners as women 25-44. In a large online survey men reported 31 (!) lifetime partners on average. Women reported 8. In a follow up question, 21 percent of men admitted they lied or knew their number was probably inaccurate, compared with 15 percent of women. Women were found to use enumeration ("Bob, and Jim, and ..."), men tended to use approximation. Approximation generally leads to inflation, while enumeration to underestimation.

Among low-income children, the age they lose their virginity is lower than among other SES's. However, among the majority girls do start younger. This might have to do with the two thirds of girls who say they either didn't want to lose their virginity when they did or had mixed feelings, and the 89% of sexually active girls who say they've been pressured into having sex. That is, boys often date younger girls, and apparently push them into having sex.

It helps if you look these things up.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6027
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inside of your head must be a bizarre and confusing place if you think it's "social attractiveness" that makes a theater full of women cheer when a hot guy takes his shirt off.

well, if i'm right (spoiler alert: i am), what it proves is that your contention that "that's how sex works" is wrong, which means your contention that present gender roles are set in stone and cannot be changed is wrong, which means your contention that "it's too hard to try" is wrong, which means you're back to being a weak-minded sexist coward

and since i'm right, well, whaddya know
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estranged



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Statistically, for any large group of heterosexual people of consenting age, the mean number of sexual partners should be equal.
All those women have to be having sex with someone, right?


Yes, with the alpha males. You do realize that if some disaster occurs and a lot of men die, it won't be a problem to restore the population as long as women are safe?
Same thing in nature, a limited number of cool males has sex with most females.

When we were 16 years old we had an anonymous survey in our class. Half of the girls had started having sex. I have seen some of their boyfriends - bikers, guys with nice cars, or married men of high status. (P.S. I should clarify that the age of consent here is 14).
In contrast, all of the boys in our class were virgin with the exception of two "tough guys" who had been to a prostitute once (they didn't mention this in the survey, but admitted it afterwards).

At least this anecdotal evidence coincides with the study you brought up.
But this

Quote:
boys often date younger girls,

can also be read as
"Girls date older boys" -> obviously because high status is more important to women than anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10610
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estranged wrote:

Yes, with the alpha males. You do realize that if some disaster occurs and a lot of men die, it won't be a problem to restore the population as long as women are safe? Same thing in nature, a limited number of cool males has sex with most females.

Is there some relevant reason I need "to realize" this seemingly random and irrelevant point?

It's also worth reminding you that you said women had more partners than men. Maybe it's different there, but all the data seems to suggest that isn't true in the US.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10262
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Statistically, for any large group of heterosexual people of consenting age, the mean number of sexual partners should be equal. All those women have to be having sex with someone, right?

Unfortunately, when we ask, according to CDC data, men age 25-44 report twice as many partners as women 25-44. In a large online survey men reported 31 (!) lifetime partners on average. Women reported 8. In a follow up question, 21 percent of men admitted they lied or knew their number was probably inaccurate, compared with 15 percent of women. Women were found to use enumeration ("Bob, and Jim, and ..."), men tended to use approximation. Approximation generally leads to inflation, while enumeration to underestimation.

Among low-income children, the age they lose their virginity is lower than among other SES's. However, among the majority girls do start younger. This might have to do with the two thirds of girls who say they either didn't want to lose their virginity when they did or had mixed feelings, and the 89% of sexually active girls who say they've been pressured into having sex. That is, boys often date younger girls, and apparently push them into having sex.

It helps if you look these things up.

I thought it was the whole "Girls mature faster so they favor older guys" sort of thing (which of course exacerbated by scumbags who know girls closer to their own age are less likely to fall for their tricks (read: bald face lies))?
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy


Last edited by Darqcyde on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10610
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estranged wrote:

Quote:
boys often date younger girls,

can also be read as
"Girls date older boys" -> obviously because high status is more important to women than anything else.

That's one possible interpretation. You realize there are others, right? And that there might be more than one reason that interact with each other?

Edit: iPhone posting is bad, mkay?
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman


Last edited by Dogen on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10610
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Among low-income children, the age they lose their virginity is lower than among other SES's. However, among the majority girls do start younger. This might have to do with the two thirds of girls who say they either didn't want to lose their virginity when they did or had mixed feelings, and the 89% of sexually active girls who say they've been pressured into having sex. That is, boys often date younger girls, and apparently push them into having sex.

It helps if you look these things up.

I thought it was the whole "Girls mature faster so they favor older guys" sort of thing?

That's one explanation, although my point doesn't actually cover why, it's merely a descriptive statistic. I didn't offer an explanation for it.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6331

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estranged wrote:
Quote:
boys often date younger girls,

can also be read as
"Girls date older boys" -> obviously because high status is more important to women than anything else.

Oh man, I'm so glad you're here to tell me things about myself.

This totally explains that time I thought I was madly in love with a 20 year old kid who lived with his mom and couldn't keep a job because he was terrified of driving.

(Also for those disappointed with lack of rude pictures, I apologize, I'll get to it when I'm not jumping between fun social engagements)
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorick



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 12101
Location: In the undersnow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the girls who are boys who like boys to be girls who do boys like they're girls who do girls like they're boys?
_________________
Currently experiencing: not summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group