Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-10: Birthday Party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chingching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u all retarded or wat

funny strip
, deep meaning
MasterMorality

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these strips that indulge ourselves into Li'l E's past. I just find them to be heartbreaking - for someone as emotional as I am - in all of the right ways. And they're just plain adorable. Not to mention it makes me really think about who Li'l Evil had become, who he will become, and shit like that.

But no, real talk. It really got me thinking. It seems highly likely, based on this strip and the previous strips indulging in Li'l E's past, that Seymour - up until Pebbles showed up anyways - was probably Li'l E's first and only friend. Or at least the closest thing to it he's ever really had. And he had constantly expressed disapproval of the concept of friendship... the fact that Li'l E had seemed quite excited about the concept of having friends, but being rejected repeatedly until he finally had one and by that point just gave up and didn't want friends anymore just. Sort of seems like, to me at least, that all along he was pushing Seymour's friendliness away because he felt like no one could ever truly like him and.. That's kinda... heartbreaking to me?? Especially since Li'l E doesn't even really remember who he even is anymore. I mean I'm kind of. The only one who'd find that heartbreaking, or even remotely interesting, and stuff but. Eeeeeeeep. I feel like I needed to mention it...

And I guess like Ronald, I'd like it if someone would figure out or at least take note of the fact that Li'l E has definitely not been acting like the Li'l E they had come to know, lately...

Ronald wrote:
(I can't speak for anyone else, but I've tended to have the impression that Li'l E is younger than Slick and 'Nique, maybe in the vicinity of the same age as Crim.)

Facts:
- Slick and Criminy (and Squig) went to college together, based on the Sinfest strips that Tat made back when he was in college.
- Slick, Criminy and Li'l E all have the same physical build when in the reality zone.
- Li'l E is old enough to be able to get multiple jobs.
- (Where I live, 14 is legally old enough to get a job, though not many people will actually hire you until you're 16. Don't know about anywhere else, though...)

Take those as you will, my friend.

(Personally I always saw almost everyone as being like 17, while I saw Li'l E being around 14/15 and Seymour being 12/13. But honestly even then sometimes I think they're 17, too... For the most part they're as old as they need to be, and as young as they need to be as well... Depending on the strip, and what Tat wants to portray...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chingching wrote:
u all retarded or wat

funny strip
, deep meaning

Em, what? You can't just say things like that without prior explaination and expect us to understand. That's… really bad.

Anyway, strip is real good, real touching.

Though really I just wanna see D blow up Glossie n co. And Blue. Wanna see more of her.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've had it at ChuckECheese. The only successful birthday I ever had was at that place. Poor kid. And seeing those kids at school the next day....
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, see, this, this I buy.
Zorlond

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Mildly odd that Li'l-er E had to ask his mother for a birthday cake. Most mothers think of that sort of thing on their own.

It's more likely that he's asking her about the whole party idea, and asking for cake, ice cream, and cookies is just what came out as part of it. She probably did plan for cake, etc, but little kids tend to gush when they ask for something they're excited about. Note he didn't ask for a pinata, but his mom did think to put one up, so she's not passive in this.

Which would make it all the more heartbreaking for her when she found her little boy standing alone in a dark room, staring blankly out the window...
DB Cooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Archon wrote:
But this brings interesting question: where is his mother and what she is dong all this years?

I am totally in love with you for saying "brings" rather than misusing "begs".

If you want to get clinical about the crossed wires of this strip:

After age 5, kids pass out birthday party invitations to classmates.
Is he only 4 here?

There was apparently no RSVP, and the Mom foolishly let her son think all the invitations would be met with an agreement to attend.
Is she unaware of social norms?

And in the end, it's a story. But it does happen in real life and nobody deserves that— especially a little kid, horns or not.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strip was...a big emotional heart-jerker for me. Seems to be the general consensus all around.

Makes me wonder if it's the devil kid thing. The other option could be to find out that maybe Big D had something to do with it. You know, to break him of his "happy do-gooder" ways.

Both seem fairly viable with the way Tat has taken things...Prejudice toward Lil E because of his horns vs the complex relationship problems of the parent/child thing going on between them.
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
But no, real talk. It really got me thinking. It seems highly likely, based on this strip and the previous strips indulging in Li'l E's past, that Seymour - up until Pebbles showed up anyways - was probably Li'l E's first and only friend.

Well, Slick, Squig, and 'Nique have at least now and then demonstrated a willingness to be Li'l E's friends, and they've never declared themselves as per se opponents of his "belief system" the way Seymour has.

They're more like, "Oh, you're EVIL, huh? Okay, sure, whatever." {shrug} "Wanna play basketball?"

Still, as you say, take it as you will. Wink
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
But no, real talk. It really got me thinking. It seems highly likely, based on this strip and the previous strips indulging in Li'l E's past, that Seymour - up until Pebbles showed up anyways - was probably Li'l E's first and only friend.

Well, Slick, Squig, and 'Nique have at least now and then demonstrated a willingness to be Li'l E's friends, and they've never declared themselves as per se opponents of his "belief system" the way Seymour has.

They're more like, "Oh, you're EVIL, huh? Okay, sure, whatever." {shrug} "Wanna play basketball?"

Still, as you say, take it as you will. ;-)

Well, like. No. They never really seemed like they were THAT interested in him??? I mean yeah they were willing but they never really hung out with him at all. Seymour actually has hung out with him, a lot more than the others have??? Well, not so much lately but they used to kind of be... ???? two peas in the most deranged metaphorical pod.

None of the others have actually said anything that actually implies they actually consider him to be a friend (just that they were WILLING to be, which is kind of??? different???), or shown as much concern for his well-being as Seymour has.

Like, Seymour considers him to be his worst (second worst?) enemy, but also his best friend despite that. Vitriolic best buds, sitcom arch rivals, that sort of baloney.

Bleh. I'm in no condition to explain myself rn. Hope you know what I mean, regardless?????

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
this is how supervillains are made

That's the impression I got from this. This was a tipping point, and now Lil' E might be following in Dad's footsteps after all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, radioactive sludge or something might also have a role to play
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catel wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Mildly odd that Li'l-er E had to ask his mother for a birthday cake. Most mothers think of that sort of thing on their own.
Maybe he doesn't know that. He's a little kid, what's he know?

Plus, letting him take the initiative to ask is a good pedagogy.

He's not asking her for a cake, he's asking a for a birthday party. Tat's using imagery often associated with such an event to say this w/o words.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Halen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what more depressing, this Sunday strip, or the embarrassing level of fanboy flatulent postulating in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: