welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-10: Birthday Party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
For whatever reason I tend to "hear" him as having a sort of a Frank Welker as Gogo Dodo voice, which doesn't really suggest wisdom/age.

I never said anything about wisdom. It doesn't always go hand in hand with age. There are some people who insist on going through life blinkered to all it's experiences and thus learn absolutely nothing giving them an almost childlike naivety, although of course corrupted to be less innocent than a child would be. I picture him as late 50s slightly pudgy (the round head) and already well past the midlife crisis (though he hasn't quite overcome it yet) thus the obsession with appearance (I see the halo thing as a metaphor for his hair, perhaps a combover) with collecting things that have some sort (so he thinks) of significance and meaning in his life, he's kinda childish for his age (the cartoons. But then since this is a forum with bronies in it we can't really crit him for that) and stubborn in his views. I was wrong placing him as a 'Nam vet, he's too petty for that. Rather he was probably someone who tried to get in and was rejected, for being too short or not physically fit enough. Therefore the majority of the rest of his life has been about prooving to everyone else his worth by being overly devout and primping over his appearance, having to have the latest things etc. Always wanting to be one step ahead of the masses, to proove he's at least equal if not better than them. Thats why when he was bomfed he hid away until it disappeared/got cured. He couldn't stand to be thought of as inferior to them. Jesus in a way has become his security blanket. His invisible best friend. He feels like if Jesus loves him it doesn't matter about anyone else. He has insecurity and paranoia written all over him and I just don't feel that a kid of 12-13 would have had time to think about issues like that deeply enough for it to be as big an issue as it is. Sure everyone gets depressed, kids too. But the level of paranoia that Seymour shows can only have come from years of brooding on the subject, isolating himself from everyone except Jesus his supposed saviour who ironically he can't even see.

In a way Seymour kinda reminds me of Rimmer from Red Dwarf in personality. I mean polar opposites physically but the neuroses in both are very similar. Both are quite immature and petty, obsessed with gaining the approval of others without being able to admit it to themselves, they're quick to become fanatical about the idea of anything that they think they can use to bolster themselves above others (for Rimmer it's aliens, for Seymour it's Jesus) But with both theres a kind of pathos to their natures that makes you pity them and thus endears you to them anyway. Just my view on the subject.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom." - H.L. Mencken

Not that I see Seymour as old. But it seemed apropos.
DB Cooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorlond wrote:
DB Cooper wrote:
There was apparently no RSVP, and the Mom foolishly let her son think all the invitations would be met with an agreement to attend.
Is she unaware of social norms?

... Is it social norm for 5 year olds to RSVP for a birthday party? Do they even know what either 'social norm' or 'RSVP' means?

No silly.
PARENTS are supposed to oversee this kind of thing.

Heartbreaks like this are the result of bad manners. I hate that it happens IRL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: