welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-21: One Shade of Grey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try it sometime. I mean, we do get the weirdest fucking shit. Again, let me direct you to the thread with the angry Russian.

In response to what you were saying initially: I never really saw Glossy as a straw feminist. I didn't think Tat wouldn't just prop her up to tear her down like that. I still think bringing "she must have known someone who was raped" into the mix still doesn't make any sense at all, and was a really weird thing to up and assume.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashland wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
arguing with the voices in your head instead of the words on the screen again, are we?

ShadowCell, your reading comprehension is like the worst on the entire forum. Don't throw stones from a glass house.

i'm sorry, you're going to have to show how what you said has any relation to what anyone else in this thread said.

like how you got the idea that Dogen was denying that these issues are exclusively women's issues out of

Quote:
I, for one, am glad that we can never talk about women's issues without someone bringing up how bad men also have it. It's appreciated, like that guy at work who always has to compare your life to his own, and every time you have a problem it's totally not a big deal because he's handled it before. Everyone loves that guy!

go on! prove it! if you're right, surely you can prove it.
Necronner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidden between the 3rd and 4th panel. "And so the little girl never had to deal with her father asking her to eat carrots ever again."

Wink

But seriously, considering the reaction every time we have her on screen I believe Glossie is Tats way of going "Hmm, the forums hasn't been fighting vehemently at each other, time to stir the shit pot"
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat just knows how to give us what we like.

Sinfest has been a forum full of bitter arguments for yeeeeeears now, this is not actually new.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashland wrote:
Dogen wrote:
I, for one, am glad that we can never talk about women's issues without someone bringing up how bad men also have it. It's appreciated, like that guy at work who always has to compare your life to his own, and every time you have a problem it's totally not a big deal because he's handled it before. Everyone loves that guy!

Just because women have issues doesn't mean that their issues are exclusively women's issues.

Is that what I said (note: you just mocked ShadowCell for his reading comprehension)? Did I ever say that the issues women face are exclusively their own? Or did I, in fact, suggest that - like the annoying guy at work who has problems like yours - that the problems really are universal, and that some people refuse to allow discussions of women's perspectives without pointing out how hard men have it too? This is the irrational stance: that talking about women's issues is denying men's issues. That's ludicrous.

Quote:
There is such a thing as problems that arise because one party is just focused too much on their own happiness. It happens in sex.

Yes, and it's wrong regardless of gender. That's what we call equality.

Quote:
Deal with it, man. You can't go on about how women need a revolution and how the world needs to change its perspective when the truth is it has less to do with gender and more to do with the individual.

Except it does have to do with gender, as well as the individual. Ignoring the role of gender doesn't change the unique experiences that women face, and appreciating the effects of gender on these issues doesn't preclude recognizing the unique experiences of both men and women. It's just that men seem to be offended by the idea of discussing women's issues for some reason.

Quote:
Some men see a disinterested woman as a lost cause and would prefer to charm. Others ply for a war of emotional attrition. Your dumb ass is always on about "not generalizing" and realizing that "everyone has their own special needs", so apply it to gender politics as well.

Actually, my dumb ass is not opposed to generalizing. We do it all the time (it's kind of the whole point of statistics). I'm opposed to false correlations, stereotypes and prejudices. Generalizations, as I said recently, are fine as long as you understand that the individuals vary widely and may not conform (e.g., the average IQ is 100, but we recognize individual IQs vary widely). Stereotypes are when you assume every member of a group exemplifies the same qualities (e.g., all black people can dance).

Last edited by Dogen on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
daveshan

Samsally wrote:
You should try it sometime. I mean, we do get the weirdest fucking shit. Again, let me direct you to the thread with the angry Russian.

In response to what you were saying initially: I never really saw Glossy as a straw feminist. I didn't think Tat wouldn't just prop her up to tear her down like that. I still think bringing "she must have known someone who was raped" into the mix still doesn't make any sense at all, and was a really weird thing to up and assume.

Wait. Is that girl's name Tat or Glossy? 'Cause that might be why we're getting mixed up. I never knew she had a name so I assumed that Tat was her name by the way you were all talking.
Monkey Mcdermott

Speaking of bitter arguments, I'm kind of curious how Cyx got a pass for what he said about him's lady in the sexploits thread, yet Darq got stomped on for what was obviously a thoughtless comment, but not exactly malicious.

This is a question that has bothered me all day.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him apparently tore him apart for it over PM, although to be honest, i just sort of missed them both
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't really. It went into PM's and then got splashed all over the feminist thread.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just saw that actually, teach me to go right to where I expected the forum drama to be thickest and not read through the whole thing...
Samsally

daveshan wrote:
Samsally wrote:

Wait. Is that girl's name Tat or Glossy? 'Cause that might be why we're getting mixed up. I never knew she had a name so I assumed that Tat was her name by the way you were all talking.

OOOOOH, haha. No, Tat is short for Tatsuya, the creator of the comic.

Plus I think there's a huge grammatical error in my post. "I didn't think Tat would just prop her up to tear her down" was what I meant to say.

Last edited by Samsally on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dogen

STOP POSTING SO FAST!

Very Happy
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT THIS IS SO FUN! *as everything dies down completely*

Huh.
daveshan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
daveshan wrote:
Samsally wrote:

OOOOOH, haha. No, Tat is short for Tatsuya, the creator of the comic.

Plus I think there's a huge grammatical error in my post. "I didn't think Tat would just prop her up to tear her down" was what I meant to say.

WOW... Wow ... Wow...

My face is red. Ok, that clears up a few things. Sorry everyone, it's my first day.

Alright: Glossy, I'm assuming that's the feminist girl's name, is the one that whole list is about.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, that makes more sense. But I still don't think Glossy (she hasn't formally been named yet) was ever intended to be a straw feminist. I can see where you thought she was one, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: