welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-24: Dudebro Factory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Holocauxt



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 348

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
So does that mean you hate Keanu Reeves, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme and all other male Hollywood action actors that do the same thing?


Please do not use straw man on me. This has nothing to do with "action movies" or "boring actors."
_________________
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lich Mong



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotions are volatile and illogical sometimes, but they are where our drive and motivation comes from. They can make us act uncivilized and irrational, but a person should be trying to understand their emotions not suppress them.

Does porn often show a power fantasy? Yes, of course it does. That's its point, to be a fantasy. Like any other kind of escapism, people read/watch/listen to it to feel better about their own lives. For just one moment feel like THEY are important; that THEY have the power. Fantasy, SciFi, and nonfictions are often written about one person who gains power and (for one reason or another) is special. Porn is no exception; it is made to take you out of your mundane life and take you some place else. And, like other forms of escapism, it can become destructive if you let it gain control of your real life.

But, some porn also shows an abatement of power, because that is what excites some people. The storyline of the secretary subjecting her boss; taking away his power. People that are powerful often wish they had less responsibility, while people that aren't wish they had a chance to prove themselves. We always want what we can't have.

My wife is a stronger person than me. She is more successful, capable, and in control of her life; however, that is not the person she is in the bedroom.
Is she wrong for wanting that? I am I wrong for obliging?

Are we the products of some brainwashing jerk factory?
_________________
A MtG Webcomic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MasterMorality



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on beating away st that over-simplified high horse...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2904
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:
Yinello wrote:
So does that mean you hate Keanu Reeves, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme and all other male Hollywood action actors that do the same thing?


Please do not use straw man on me. This has nothing to do with "action movies" or "boring actors."


Yet they use the same expressions. You say that you solely hate them for that. If you don't hate the people mentioned above, then it can't be just because of their expressions.

But please, keep fooling yourself.
_________________
No one is every truly alone with pizza.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
Emotions are volatile and illogical sometimes, but they are where our drive and motivation comes from. They can make us act uncivilized and irrational, but a person should be trying to understand their emotions not suppress them.

Does porn often show a power fantasy? Yes, of course it does. That's its point, to be a fantasy. Like any other kind of escapism, people read/watch/listen to it to feel better about their own lives. For just one moment feel like THEY are important; that THEY have the power. Fantasy, SciFi, and nonfictions are often written about one person who gains power and (for one reason or another) is special. Porn is no exception; it is made to take you out of your mundane life and take you some place else. And, like other forms of escapism, it can become destructive if you let it gain control of your real life.

But, some porn also shows an abatement of power, because that is what excites some people. The storyline of the secretary subjecting her boss; taking away his power. People that are powerful often wish they had less responsibility, while people that aren't wish they had a chance to prove themselves. We always want what we can't have.

My wife is a stronger person than me. She is more successful, capable, and in control of her life; however, that is not the person she is in the bedroom.
Is she wrong for wanting that? I am I wrong for obliging?

Are we the products of some brainwashing jerk factory?


Absolutely not. The same way some people are aroused by people of their own gender, your wife is aroused by the thought of being submissive. There are men who are aroused by the thought of being submissive. It's just how you're born. And as long as you remember that in the real world, you can't do those things to others without their consent, you're fine.



About today's comic, ugh, I'm really not liking the direction this arc is taking. Regardless of what they're talking about, Tat's constantly portraying one side as bad, wicked, and vile with no redeeming qualities while the other side is good, kind, and virtuous with no ill mark towards their name. It's too black and white for something as large as he's trying to make it.

When it was just Satan being pure evil, that was fine. Satan was one person. But for this whole gigantic organization to not have the tiniest flicker of good traits just seems like bad storytelling. At least give a strawman argument about progress in technology, science, or medicine. Show that these people are at least trying to justify why their actions are necessary.

When anyone replies to this post, please keep in mind, I'm referring to the Patriarchy of the Sinfest universe. I honestly don't want to get into another argument about real world matters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LarsenSan



Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comic is dead to me. It's not the funny webcomic it was time ago. Now is an obssesed radical feminist pamphlet that believes everything that is wrong with the world comes from porn and all males who get excited at the sight of a sexy female body must be neutered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hydra



Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the storyline, but the way it's being presented leaves much to be desired.
_________________
"Cada uno es como Dios le hizo, y aśn peor muchas veces."
- Miguel de Cervantes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2904
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't the Partriarchy factory run by Satan? So that would still make him the big evil mastermind behind it all.
_________________
No one is every truly alone with pizza.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashland



Joined: 15 May 2012
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing has just gradually gotten stupider over time. At first it was controversial, but now it's gotten to be moronic.

I'm all for a strong female. Make her guileful, educated, smart, willful, and make her a leader. Let her be the kind of person that would draw people and garner respect.

What Tat's doing is never going to persuade anyone but people who have already come to the faith. I have no interest in being told the evil of my ways or about what I need to do the be saved from this religion's devils.

I'm never going to respect female characters who can't grow out of the adolescent mentality that changing their clothes or adopting a "counter-culture" will somehow affect the world around them. Nobody cares what a woman wears around public, as long as it meets a minimum decency standard. An androgynous girl walks up behind you while you're waiting in a line, and you ignore her. Heck, there was even that comic where Monique put on a skimpy outfit and was "approved", where most people would not actually approve at all outside of a night club.

I've never been into dominance porn. However, I can only assume Tat must be because he's used his art to create an entire world to vilify it at the center of our attention, then justify the fact that he exposes himself to it. He likes it because "the patriarchy" tricks him, and blah blah blah. Personally, I think he should quit being a complete prick and accept there is such a thing as different tastes.

If you want to empower women, Tat, then empower them, for fuck's sake. Just listen to what they have to say and value them for their merits. You don't have to protect them from yourself or other men or rescue anyone from their victimized state. They aren't mcguffin NPCs in the middle of an escort mission, and they aren't going to run off and get impaled on a phallic spear if your trust them to interact with the world on their own. They're not damsels in distress, you fucking retard. They're humans. Ordinary, butt-scratching humans, just like anyone.
_________________
Everyone thinks they are individuals who follow their own rules. However, man is a being of patterns. He has habits because without them he would cease to be. Though perhaps possessed of creativity, he will always be merely human.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TragicallyUnhip



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Personal Responsibilty Reply with quote

It also does seem as though the author insert is being completely controlled by the Patriarchy, and his own choice in the matter has been taken away. Outside influence, not his own personal choices, are what determines his behavior. Is our storyteller trying to say that the Patriarchy is so all-pervasive and powerful that no one can break out of its all-encompassing programming without some outside factor "freeing" him?

Nice, if you think about it. My attitudes toward women, my use of porn and my wanking off to those pics and videos that my girlfriend thinks are so disgusting aren't really due to anything I had control over. Baby, it wasn't me! It was the Patriarchy! They made me want those things! I had no choice!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
But isn't the Partriarchy factory run by Satan? So that would still make him the big evil mastermind behind it all.


I'm still not convinced Satan runs it. A higher-up in it? Yes. The mastermind? Not sure.

Either way, having the person at the very top be absolutely evil is one thing. But if you're going to have an entire organization that's blatantly wrong, I want to see why all the people in the organization think it's ok to do these necessary evils. Just being brainwashed isn't enough for me.

For those talking about Tat trying to get on a soapbox with this and preach a message, I'm still reserving judgment. I'd like to see this just be another story arc that has some resolution that teaches a real message about balance. Like have Glossy come across an in-universe substitute for Brian Banks or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. North by Northwest



Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Genderizer grants 3-D glasses along with basic binary perspectives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2904
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveshan wrote:
Yinello wrote:
But isn't the Partriarchy factory run by Satan? So that would still make him the big evil mastermind behind it all.


I'm still not convinced Satan runs it. A higher-up in it? Yes. The mastermind? Not sure.

Either way, having the person at the very top be absolutely evil is one thing. But if you're going to have an entire organization that's blatantly wrong, I want to see why all the people in the organization think it's ok to do these necessary evils. Just being brainwashed isn't enough for me.

For those talking about Tat trying to get on a soapbox with this and preach a message, I'm still reserving judgment. I'd like to see this just be another story arc that has some resolution that teaches a real message about balance. Like have Glossy come across an in-universe substitute for Brian Banks or something.


I'm convinced Tat isn't trying to preach at all but attempting to stir things up. I wasn't on the forums during the Presidential Election comics between Obama and McCain but I wouldn't be surprised if people were having big arguments with each other. The fact alone that every time something feministic pops up in a comic, the comic thread is at least 6 pages long.

As for the organisation, the Devil does have lots of corporations under his wing. I do believe in his One day of his Life comic he went to all kinds of places that did evil things. I had come to accept that the Sinfest character didn't really have depth until Tat started posting some backstory on Lil E. But even then I don't think there will be a lot of explanation of why this organisation is brainwashing people.

I'm not sure, but wasn't there a comic where the Devil just did things to piss off God/Jesus? Maybe that's what he's doing now as well. The Devil wants to stir things up, just like Tat. (ooh full circle)
_________________
No one is every truly alone with pizza.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TragicallyUnhip



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
daveshan wrote:
Yinello wrote:
But isn't the Partriarchy factory run by Satan? So that would still make him the big evil mastermind behind it all.


I'm still not convinced Satan runs it. A higher-up in it? Yes. The mastermind? Not sure.

Either way, having the person at the very top be absolutely evil is one thing. But if you're going to have an entire organization that's blatantly wrong, I want to see why all the people in the organization think it's ok to do these necessary evils. Just being brainwashed isn't enough for me.

For those talking about Tat trying to get on a soapbox with this and preach a message, I'm still reserving judgment. I'd like to see this just be another story arc that has some resolution that teaches a real message about balance. Like have Glossy come across an in-universe substitute for Brian Banks or something.


I'm convinced Tat isn't trying to preach at all but attempting to stir things up. I wasn't on the forums during the Presidential Election comics between Obama and McCain but I wouldn't be surprised if people were having big arguments with each other. The fact alone that every time something feministic pops up in a comic, the comic thread is at least 6 pages long.

As for the organisation, the Devil does have lots of corporations under his wing. I do believe in his One day of his Life comic he went to all kinds of places that did evil things. I had come to accept that the Sinfest character didn't really have depth until Tat started posting some backstory on Lil E. But even then I don't think there will be a lot of explanation of why this organisation is brainwashing people.

I'm not sure, but wasn't there a comic where the Devil just did things to piss off God/Jesus? Maybe that's what he's doing now as well. The Devil wants to stir things up, just like Tat. (ooh full circle)


Nah. I don't buy it. You're giving him much too much credit, This seems like a bunch of self-indulgence, especially the gratuitous self-insertion. And like I said, much more of this and I'll stop checking it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6184
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh

you know this is, like, hardly the first time Tat has put himself in his comic? especially in a self-deprecating way?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 2 of 41

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group