welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pathfinder - Dungeons and Dragons Free.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tiogshi: Ah... yeah I can add a play-by-post game to my schedule, but I'm not going to be able to join in a vent/skype/etc. live session.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Never mind, got it!

Anyway if allowed, I would like to go with a female Duergar rogue. Following as much of the Duergar that is written down and otherwise just following the Dwarf skills/traits/whatever.

Rogue's something I've never tried before but my current GM just loves throwing traps at us. For once I'd like to try to be prepared. xD
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A duergar would be fine for a longer campaign, but I'd prefer you to use a core race. Less confusion for any actual newbies who join up.

Speaking of which; open question, not just to applicants. How much experience do you have with different RP systems?
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a few games of D&D and DMed one of them (don't be impressed, it was a bit of a joke)

I've also DMed a few "Maid" games because shut up they're funny as hell.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf it is!

I've played 3 long campaigns of D&D up to date. I believe this is a span of... 5 years now? It seems long but we could only come together so now and then.

I've also tried out a lot of different types of RP, be it forum or game, be it strict 3.5 to loose whatever who needs materials as a sorcerer type of rp.

Also my character sheet: http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=37664

It's nowhere near done as I'm reading through how to build it up with my 3.5 DnD book (I'm not used to this website yet).

EDIT: Apparantly the skills are a bit wonky. Not going to fix that too much for now.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiogshi wrote:
Speaking of which; open question, not just to applicants. How much experience do you have with different RP systems?

Personally, tons of experience playing several versions of D&D (AD&D, 3.0/3.5, PF). Familiarity with several other systems, because I like learning them, but I've had little chance to actually play.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Like 95% sure the versions of D&D I played were 3.5. :3
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello; so, I've no idea how you got that set of ability scores, as it appears to be a 24-point buy. But partially because I haven't yet laid out the rules for point buy or anything. So let me start there.

Those creating characters for the campaign; use a 20-point buy. Use the guide here. Note that you add racial ability modifiers AFTER the point-buy.

If using the online character sheets at dndsheets.net that Samsally and Yinello have used (which I do recommend), note that the "skills" area has some "CS" checkboxes; check those if the skill is a class skill, and the +3 bonus for putting at least one rank in the skill will be added for you. I think that's where Yinello got confused.

Ignore the class-specific starting wealth; everyone starts with 150 GP for buying their starting equipment, regardless of class.

In addition to your Feat gained at first level, you also get to choose two Traits. If you're unfamiliar with Traits, I suggest Armor Expert (if you wear armor), Reactionary, Indomitable Faith, Magical Talent, Bully, Charming, Rich Parents, Suspicious, or Heirloom Weapon. You can only choose one Trait from a given list (ie you can't choose two Combat, but you can choose one Combat and one Faith). Make sure your traits are consistent with your character's personality or backstory.

Speaking of backstory, I don't demand much. Just give us all a paragraph or two saying what they look like, and what has brought them here, to the large port city of Lowcliff, where they are either looking for work as a caravan guard, or seeking transport to the elven city of Allisuir about two week's travel away. That's where we'll be starting.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I need to keep in mind that this is not 3.5 (as I got my ability scores from 3.5).

Thanks for the update though, now I can fill it in better.

What's got me confused at the skills area is that there seem to be skills missing like spot, search and whatnot. Have those been removed because of perhaps redundancy?

EDIT: Point buy calculator
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Pathfinder is very similar to 3.5, and copy/pastes a lot of material from it, but it is subtley different.

As for what appear to be missing skills; I suspect so. Here is the pathfinder skills information. In particular, I think you're looking for Perception and a Rogue's Trap Spotter talent (which can be learned at level 2).

One last thing worth mentioning is that the maximum ranks you can put into a single skill is determined by your total character level (the sum of all class levels). So our party of level-1 characters will have no more than 1 rank in each skill they have.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played in a Children of the Sun campaign in college which is pretty much an extinct game now, but it was pretty fun. I've also played Earthdawn, Savage Worlds, DnD 3.0-3.5, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, and Hackmaster. The Earthdawn and Savage Worlds experiences were pretty much just a couple one-offs, nothing major. The others I've played multiple times.

I don't know that I'm interested in doing an online thing like this. My free time is fairly limited as is. Maybe I'll just observe from the sidelines. Razz
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the traits. Most of the first party traits are reasonable (barring loopholes), but there are some third party traits that are a little out of bounds. Base value should be about half a feat, and remember the "only one trait per category" rule.

Edit: Eure, you just reminded me. During last week's game, I brought out the Call of Cthulhu rulebook. My players' horrified reactions, just seeing the cover, were great.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:

Edit: Eure, you just reminded me. During last week's game, I brought out the Call of Cthulhu rulebook. My players' horrified reactions, just seeing the cover, were great.

MINUS 2 SANITY POINTS!
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'k, guys. We have a forum on the Tangled Web, so applicants; go sign up there and post your availability in the Scheduling thread, then hit the Characters subforum and read the Character Rules if you haven't already read the relevant post I made earlier in this thread.

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1808-The-Sinfest-Primer

Start a single thread named for your character in the Characters subforum, posting your backstory and a link or upload of your character sheet for me to validate, and I'll walk you through any corrections that need to be made.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurm. So I don't know what to do, I'm pretty sure the sheet I made doesn't match the new rules you put down?

Is it easier to redo that sheet or should I just make a whole new one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: