welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1 July 2012 - Virgin/Whore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dawn



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 123
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern wrote:
Dawn wrote:
My other cousin is named 'Soup' (surname) Moral integrity (given name).


oh hey we are apparently related


Your surname is Thang? Cool! Distantly related no doubt, but cool!

Meanwhile, there are lot's of Yellows everywhere. 29 million of us (>_<)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1168
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, haha. That's a lot. It's like the Smiths here in America. Sounds like a complex issue on deciding on what to do. I do like the idea of combining names. It has kind of a unique feeling. Overall I don't quable too much over names, as I hate the "status" that comes with them.

Technically if we'd gone with what I said before, I should have taken my wife's last name, as her family is a long line of wealthy people, and in particular it was a family of dentists. But she hated the name still so. =P (Gibson btw) Hers and mine are now Foster.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dawn



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 123
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
So, lol, funny story. I've been vaguely terrified of pregnancy since as long as I can remember and the ony reason that list hasn't triggeted a massive anxiety attack is because I've been single since October.


Eeek! It's good that I know that now.

Adyon wrote:
Technically if we'd gone with what I said before, I should have taken my wife's last name, as her family is a long line of wealthy people, and in particular it was a family of dentists. But she hated the name still so. =P (Gibson btw) Hers and mine are now Foster.


She's right, Gibson doesn't sound as nice as Foster. Jodie Foster? Are you *related*? Very Happy

What do your surnames mean though? Foster - foster parent? Gibson - works with Gibbons?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2896
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Technically if we'd gone with what I said before, I should have taken my wife's last name, as her family is a long line of wealthy people, and in particular it was a family of dentists. But she hated the name still so. =P (Gibson btw) Hers and mine are now Foster.


My future hubby also insists on taking my last name. The reason for it is because his last name is Polish, while mine is Dutch. I have no particular preference myself, but he thinks a Polish last name might make people discriminate our kids.
_________________
No one is every truly alone with pizza.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawn



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 123
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Adyon wrote:
Technically if we'd gone with what I said before, I should have taken my wife's last name, as her family is a long line of wealthy people, and in particular it was a family of dentists. But she hated the name still so. =P (Gibson btw) Hers and mine are now Foster.


My future hubby also insists on taking my last name. The reason for it is because his last name is Polish, while mine is Dutch. I have no particular preference myself, but he thinks a Polish last name might make people discriminate our kids.


These are perfectly valid reasons why people might choose to take one name over the other when getting married. Kudos to all of you, and a nice slap in the face to Necronner who insists that the wife must take his surname to cement their marriage and prove that she won't ever look for anyone else but him.

(While all he does is promise, double cross my heart)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2896
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
These are perfectly valid reasons why people might choose to take one name over the other when getting married. Kudos to all of you, and a nice slap in the face to Necronner who insists that the wife must take his surname to cement their marriage and prove that she won't ever look for anyone else but him.

(While all he does is promise, double cross my heart)


Lol no wonder people think all necronner does is troll.
_________________
No one is every truly alone with pizza.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salpta



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 40
Location: Sailing the steel breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Adyon wrote:
Technically if we'd gone with what I said before, I should have taken my wife's last name, as her family is a long line of wealthy people, and in particular it was a family of dentists. But she hated the name still so. =P (Gibson btw) Hers and mine are now Foster.


My future hubby also insists on taking my last name. The reason for it is because his last name is Polish, while mine is Dutch. I have no particular preference myself, but he thinks a Polish last name might make people discriminate our kids.


Not that big of a deal. My wife's surname is polish (well, Prussian really.), and it never affected her or her brothers. Besides, the polish people have a colorful history and culture, it'd be a shame to lose that heritage just because someone *might* discriminate. Have you discussed having the children have a completely different surname from either of you that reflects both of your lineages?

Back on topic: My wife never took my name after we were wed, and I never asked her to. We've been married 15 years now, and she is still with me because she loves me, and I with her for the same reason. If you have to "own" your spouse because of your own insecurity, it doesn't bode well for the marriage. (oh, We live in the deep south, and have never had a problem with it either though I do get a chuckle whenever her coworkers or clients address me as Mr. <Her_Surname>.)
_________________
**Goes back to hiding amongst the shrubbery**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2896
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salpta wrote:
Not that big of a deal. My wife's surname is polish (well, Prussian really.), and it never affected her or her brothers. Besides, the polish people have a colorful history and culture, it'd be a shame to lose that heritage just because someone *might* discriminate. Have you discussed having the children have a completely different surname from either of you that reflects both of your lineages?

Back on topic: My wife never took my name after we were wed, and I never asked her to. We've been married 15 years now, and she is still with me because she loves me, and I with her for the same reason. If you have to "own" your spouse because of your own insecurity, it doesn't bode well for the marriage. (oh, We live in the deep south, and have never had a problem with it either though I do get a chuckle whenever her coworkers or clients address me as Mr. <Her_Surname>.)


Where I am, Polish people are currently discriminated a lot for mass immigrating into our country. I've been to Poland and it's an amazing country, but I've never interacted with the Polish in our city so I can't honestly give criticism on it. The Polish community, like the Turkish and Moroccan community, tend to keep to themselves.

It's an idea that we might consider. Our heritages are Dutch, Polish and Asian. Wonder if there's a surname for that.
_________________
No one is every truly alone with pizza.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6630

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
Samsally wrote:
So, lol, funny story. I've been vaguely terrified of pregnancy since as long as I can remember and the ony reason that list hasn't triggeted a massive anxiety attack is because I've been single since October.


Eeek! It's good that I know that now.

No worries! It's not the kind of phobia you can really expect people to just not talk about (especially now that I'm of the age that all of my friends are having babies and it's a happy thing).

I'm probably better at dealing with it now than I once was.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Necronner



Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say its very fun seeing you all circle jerk yourselves... so much agreements at my expense. I guess I am a unifier in that at least. I can be the lightning rod of Hate for the Sinfest feminists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6181
Location: California

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not our fault you're an objectively horrible person
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1168
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by circle jerk, open up to meaningful/light-hearted conversation with one another. You're right.

Dawn wrote:
She's right, Gibson doesn't sound as nice as Foster. Jodie Foster? Are you *related*? Very Happy

Haha, maybe! Actually though, at a recent anime convention we were selling at, we ran into a DANG good Thor cosplayer that was even pretty cute. My wife flirted with him and told him, "Well, my last name is Foster." xD

Dawn wrote:
What do your surnames mean though? Foster - foster parent? Gibson - works with Gibbons?

Yeah, Gibson came from that middle-ages Scottish descent from Gibs I believe or something similar. I know in America there's been a lot of wealthy Gibsons though, with several types of businesses they own. But Foster seems to be from foster parents, or I think there was a Saint Foster or something. Dunno.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17581
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
But yeah, whether an ablation or hysterectomy, hopefully we'll figure something out soon, and she can get that off her mind.


my sympathies to your wife - i really hope she can find a solution short of hysterectomy, though - one hates to think the only way to solve one problem is to put oneself at risk for others.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17581
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:

My other cousin is named 'Soup' (surname) Moral integrity (given name).


i feel i must now devote my cooking efforts to finding a recipe for Moral Integrity Soup.

seriously, this could be a world-changer.

ALSO YUMMY.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1168
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Adyon wrote:
But yeah, whether an ablation or hysterectomy, hopefully we'll figure something out soon, and she can get that off her mind.


my sympathies to your wife - i really hope she can find a solution short of hysterectomy, though - one hates to think the only way to solve one problem is to put oneself at risk for others.

Thanks. Hopefully we can go as minimalistic as possible with least side effects, but the idea of pregnancy has always freaked her out to such an end, like Samsally. And whatever we do, it won't be the right thing unless it can stop the periods. But she doesn't want to be on birth control anymore, as it's side effects to the health are extremely high. The bone-density getting thin being just one of the problems.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group