welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/5 Turns out Tat was practicing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kylra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidan wrote:
However Charlie Brown's character is shy . Certainly a consequence of being shy is hiding behind trees when the girl you have a crush on walks by.

The exact same could be said of Nice Guys too.
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember Charlie Brown actually stalking the little red-haired girl. Trying to approach her and chickening out, sure.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happena my handle? wrote:
I don't remember Charlie Brown actually stalking the little red-haired girl. Trying to approach her and chickening out, sure.

Of course you dont.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't remember him doing a lot of things, but maybe y'know...just throwing this out there to the universe...This ISN'T Canon to the Peanuts universe! It's just a freaking joke!

If Seymore jumps into a Calvin in Hobbs parody and condemns Calvin as a Witch putting spirits in stuffed tigers, it doesn't MEAN anything to the reality of the actual series it's parodying. It's a joke! It's supposed to be funny!

Glossy just looks silly and is doing the same thing Seymore has done forever! Being the extreme of what group she's affiliated with. Relax!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
We don't remember him doing a lot of things, but maybe y'know...just throwing this out there to the universe...This ISN'T Canon to the Peanuts universe! It's just a freaking joke!

If Seymore jumps into a Calvin in Hobbs parody and condemns Calvin as a Witch putting spirits in stuffed tigers, it doesn't MEAN anything to the reality of the actual series it's parodying. It's a joke! It's supposed to be funny!

Glossy just looks silly and is doing the same thing Seymore has done forever! Being the extreme of what group she's affiliated with. Relax!

Its not that he's making fun of Charlie Brown or Calvin and Hobbes, (he's done so before when he was altogether more irreverent) - its what he's using him as a vehicle for. Shyness is not something that needs demonized here. Now sure, the argument that its just a joke is one i'd normally side with - but Tat's evolved his style of story telling into one that pointedly has an agenda right now. In which case the current strip doesn't fit with his argument.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylra wrote:
tidan wrote:
However Charlie Brown's character is shy . Certainly a consequence of being shy is hiding behind trees when the girl you have a crush on walks by.

Not really. The Nice Guy(tm) is dishonest about his intentions and develops the wrong sort of relationships.... but the Charlie Brown just has severe approach anxiety.
Kylra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Kylra wrote:
tidan wrote:

Not really. The Nice Guy(tm) is dishonest about his intentions and develops the wrong sort of relationships.... but the Charlie Brown just has severe approach anxiety.

Perhaps in Charlie's case, but that still does not excuse stalker behavior, especially if he won't cut it out.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylra wrote:

Perhaps in Charlie's case, but

"but"s are for butts

MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is Trixie a butt-vampire or butt-zombie? It's difficult to be sure.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the Stoned Trixie character, so..... neither.

MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. These "Ask" tumblrs are really going places.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidan wrote:
Adyon wrote:

Its not that he's making fun of Charlie Brown or Calvin and Hobbes, (he's done so before when he was altogether more irreverent) - its what he's using him as a vehicle for. Shyness is not something that needs demonized here. Now sure, the argument that its just a joke is one i'd normally side with - but Tat's evolved his style of story telling into one that pointedly has an agenda right now. In which case the current strip doesn't fit with his argument.

I don't think he's demonizing it though. I think people OVER-THOUGHT it here on the forums and decided so, but I think Tat was just making a joke. Seriously, things like shyness or other non-threatening traits get turned around to be funny in all sorts of comics and shows. Tat just thought it was a good joke. The people in the forum are the ones who tried to put too much meaning on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
tidan wrote:
Adyon wrote:

I don't think he's demonizing it though. I think people OVER-THOUGHT it here on the forums and decided so, but I think Tat was just making a joke. Seriously, things like shyness or other non-threatening traits get turned around to be funny in all sorts of comics and shows. Tat just thought it was a good joke. The people in the forum are the ones who tried to put too much meaning on it.

Said in jest or not, Glossy's character is used as a statement - a vigilante for the cause of feminism. I argue that Charlie Brown is showing no evidence of chauvinism.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one claimed he was showing signs of chauvinism.

I believe the claim was, that if he were 20 years older and behaved the way he does in the peanuts strips toward his red haired girl, and it wasnt a comic then it would be creepy stalker behavior.

this was summed up as "He behaves in kind of a creepy and stalkerish fashion"

Then a bunch of people took offense, but it's the same people who have thus far done little but complain about the feminism arc, and try to deflect with "but dudes have problems tooooo!!! wont someone think of the dudebros!?"
tidan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
No one claimed he was showing signs of chauvinism.

I believe the claim was, that if he were 20 years older and behaved the way he does in the peanuts strips toward his red haired girl, and it wasnt a comic then it would be creepy stalker behavior.

this was summed up as "He behaves in kind of a creepy and stalkerish fashion"

Then a bunch of people took offense, but it's the same people who have thus far done little but complain about the feminism arc, and try to deflect with "but dudes have problems tooooo!!! wont someone think of the dudebros!?"

I just figured that if he's got the attention of Glossy, Tat's inferring eight year old Charlie Brown is doing something wrong by being shy, involving him into the feminism arc (I'm going round in circles saying the same thing here.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: