welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/5 Turns out Tat was practicing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kylra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a contender for epitaph material methinks. "She was a menace, a vigilante. She's a loose cannon who burned her bra. You can't just go around getting in the way of stalking!"

Last edited by Kylra on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I just figured that if he's got the attention of Glossy, Tat's inferring eight year old Charlie Brown is doing something wrong by being shy, involving him into the feminism arc (I'm going round in circles saying the same thing here.)

No he's inferring that that sort of behavior earns you restraining orders...because it isn't the 1950's-60's anymore

Also being shy isn't the problem...behaving in a weird stalkerish fashion is.
tidan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Quote:

I just figured that if he's got the attention of Glossy, Tat's inferring eight year old Charlie Brown is doing something wrong by being shy, involving him into the feminism arc (I'm going round in circles saying the same thing here.)

No he's inferring that that sort of behavior earns you restraining orders...because it isn't the 1950's-60's anymore

Also being shy isn't the problem...behaving in a weird stalkerish fashion is.

Right, which is my point . Being shy isn't the problem, so why is Tat saying it is with this comic? If you're someone who believes that Charlie Brown is behaving in a weird stalkerish fashion .... well frankly we just have to agree to disagree here.
tidan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear you opinion of this picture Monkey McDermott.

It's Helga's shrine to Arnold. Helga suffers from similarly unrequited love with the inability to express her feelings.

I'd say her creation of a shrine is far creepier than hiding behind a tree - do you think it warrants a restraining order? If so, would you find it funny?

Charlie's position is not creepy - he's just shy... or perhaps Glossy should pay a visit to Helga too?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, building a creepy ass shrine to an object of your obsession is creepy as fuck.

Yeah I'd probably have a restraining order for anyone who built one of those for me.

I've never really found the sinfest strip "funny" Its more charming or cute in the same vein as family circus, but inspiring snark and wry humor rather than attempting to be all heartwarming. So yeah, under the right circumstances I could probably find that funny in the same vein as the usual sinfest strips.

However your last point just breaks down. Ignoring the whole "Nuh uhn..it is NOT creepy" line because good christ at least try to back up your assertions of fact. Also, referencing one cartoon does not obligate Tat to make similar cartoons for every instance that happens to fit some criterea. It is after all a fucking comic strip prominently featuring broad issues, and if it inspires debate well...this forums activity prior to these threads that vary from discussion to argument in various levels of civility was pretty damn abysmal.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidan wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
No one claimed he was showing signs of chauvinism.

I believe the claim was, that if he were 20 years older and behaved the way he does in the peanuts strips toward his red haired girl, and it wasnt a comic then it would be creepy stalker behavior.

this was summed up as "He behaves in kind of a creepy and stalkerish fashion"

Then a bunch of people took offense, but it's the same people who have thus far done little but complain about the feminism arc, and try to deflect with "but dudes have problems tooooo!!! wont someone think of the dudebros!?"

I don't think Tat considers Glossy as perfect as everyone believes he does. He's never been the type to make a Mary Sue character. I mean from the first time she saw Nique and made a straw feminist type of statement about her wardrobe, she was introduced as a plot mechanic for the feminist arc, but not its perfect example.

So yeah, having her do a comic like this, where that behavior on an adult could result in a restraining order, is making a joke. It's taking what we know about the world to make something funny out an event that isn't that. Otherwise, if we didn't know that, we'd read this and go..."What?! What was that about?" But I guess if you don't recognize types of behavior that COULD be stalkerish you can't get the joke or realize it doesn't mean Tat thinks Charlie Brown was a stalker. Just that the joke fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's some 13 pages of funny shit! Douchebros, thank you for supplying everyone else with completely-missing-the-point adolescent testosterone poisoned fuel that perfectly illustrate the points Tat is making in the comics, and thanks everyone else for your witty retorts, also, thanks Samsally for the wasp-waisted horror. I haven't laughed this hard in weeks!

Seriously, though, douchebros, if these are your real thoughts manifested in pixels, and assuming you're not just different accounts by the same person, end it all. There is no shame in suicide, there's a happy place on the other side. Hurry now before you reproduce and pass on your fuckwittery to another generation of abusive Australopithecines.

You are the reason I, and many women, do not feel safe walking alone or at night or among groups of men. I have heard the rhetoric from my own family members, I have been chased down, hunted, stalked, assailed, and the target of glossy-eyed desire rage. So just go the fuck away to your 40 virgin heaven and leave this world to the rest of us. At the very least, go back to the CraigsList Personals section so that my friends and I can read your posts of impotent yearning in funny voices. You entertain that part of my brain that yearns for a zombie apocalypse so I can break your knees and watch the mindless hordes feast on your entrails.

FYI, Radical Feminists are the group that gives Feminism a bad name, but those are only a very few, just like fundamentalists of any stripe. Froth on against that as you will, they're the female version of you. No, I am not a nice girl. I curse, rage, and confront the bullshit around me with as much abandon as I love, create and protect that and those I hold inviolate.

There, I said it. Catharsis! Carry on...

Last edited by Mellifluous on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd move, if I were you.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, you are more than welcome, Melli.
Mellifluous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Quote:

I'd move, if I were you.

I did, this is the best I could get in Indiana. Custody and all that. "Old ball and chain" even after we split. Otherwise we'd probably be in Portland, or at least Chicago, or the UP, or Canada, or Norway, or Argentina, or ...
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellifluous wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
Quote:

I'd move, if I were you.

I did, this is the best I could get in Indiana. Custody and all that. "Old ball and chain" even after we split. Otherwise we'd probably be in Portland, or at least Chicago, or the UP, or Canada, or Norway, or Argentina, or ...

Psh...Denver for the win.

Someday my wife and I will get to move there.

But you're in Indianna...they have like Nascar or something else there! Be...happy?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:

Psh...Denver for the win.

Someday my wife and I will get to move there.

But you're in Indianna...they have like Nascar or something else there! Be...happy?

Sometimes a mildly plesant vomit is all I can say for this state. Bloomington is good, though. Like an oasis in a sea of NASCAR and old Camaros on blocks with trees growing out of the hood. Not really joking.

I love Denver. And Boulder, but I'm not cool enough to live there. Nederland was nice and secluded, but big enough to have a real grocery store. I LOVE Wade, but it's kinda small. Also, check out the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming, It's one of the prettiest spots, ever, and cheaper than living in Jackson. I love the Rockies, but not much grows there, gardenwise. Plus, there's that whole "Yellowstone Supervolcano" thing. Gotta pay extra for that.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellifluous wrote:
Plus, there's that whole "Yellowstone Supervolcano" thing. Gotta pay extra for that.

Course we're all screwed then anyway, so might as well go out in a flaming hot burst!

We're also interested in North Carolina. My wife's dad lives there. It's amazing there, such diverse climates with full winters, etc. And all the while 3 hours from the beach. It's like California paradise without the people. But that's the other problem It's not as much of a city as we have grown to like. Also, my wife really enjoys pine trees more. Not to mention we both love skiing, and Rockies skiing is the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
We're also interested in North Carolina. My wife's dad lives there. It's amazing there, such diverse climates with full winters, etc. And all the while 3 hours from the beach. It's like California paradise without the people. But that's the other problem It's not as much of a city as we have grown to like. Also, my wife really enjoys pine trees more. Not to mention we both love skiing, and Rockies skiing is the best.

I tend to ski with my face, so I'll trust your judgement. Also, parts of NC can make Indiana look positively progressive, yet it also boasts some great cultural attractions.

HEY! Wait a cotton-pickin' minute.

What does this have to do with feminism in modern webcomics?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw don't angrily tell people to commit suicide if you want me to think of you in anything even resembling a positive light

just sayin'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: