welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ought Comedians Tell Rape jokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

There are some lines Comedians ought not cross.
Of course.
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
No, nothing is sacred.
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 44

Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Holy shit a reddit thread that isn't-- ohh, r/feminism. That explains it. If it were on the frontpage it would be drowned under a chorus of people saying, "OP is a fag."

No lies I have a coworker that kept mentioning reddit and how everybody should join reddit and I gave him some fierce side-eye every time.

He mysteriously stopped when I finally said "You do know what kind of reputation reddit has on the rest of the internet, right?"
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Big Bang Theory sitcom is not the sort of thing that I ever watch willingly. I had moderately high hopes for the concept which quickly died after watching the very few episodes that I did see. The only television show that's actually running right now that I'm actively keeping up on is a cartoon, though, sooo I'm not exactly representative of the average television viewer.

Reddit is also horrible but with a few pockets of not-so-horrible here and there (being such a large site with such a wide variety of boards).
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple principle that has never done me wrong: never trust a show with a laugh track.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the secret of masterpiece theatre's success.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
A simple principle that has never done me wrong: never trust a show with a laugh track.

Supposedly, it used to use no laugh tracks through the first few seasons, but now it uses a mix of laugh tracks and live audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bang Theory is basically blackface for nerds.
Bart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never managed to watch more than one episode, it's atrocious. Every nerd cliche thrown together, but not a good character in sight. Give me the IT crowd any day.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feminisms/comments/1501mk/getting_tired_of_the_big_bang_theory/

I don't need any more reasons to dislike the big bang theory, but I still enjoy getting them.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Big Bang Theory is basically blackface for nerds.

Apparently there was a longer post on the referenced reddit thread about it being "nerd blackface", but it was removed by a moderator because . . . ya know what, I'm gonna go find what they said:

http://www.reddit.com/r/feminisms/comments/1501mk/getting_tired_of_the_big_bang_theory/c7i4n69

TheCyborganizer 39 points 2 months ago
Quote:
"Blackface", as a performance practice and cultural relic, is offensive and hurtful because it draws on hundreds of years of brutal, horrific cruelty perpetrated against African-Americans. Nerds, as a social group, have never experienced institutional oppression on a level even remotely comparable.
Calling BBT "Nerd blackface" is appropriating the revulsion that people feel towards actual blackface, and using it to make a stupid joke about a TV show.

I'm not sure how I feel one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians, Indians, and Chinese all figured huge numbers of slaves as well. They weren't necessarily imported. Somehow that's less significant. If Amerindians weren't scattered away, they would have been used as slaves, but there's less weight in hypothesizing. The list goes on for many other peoples as well, even beyond the context of slavery. Warfare, land grabs, and the associated ethnic discrimination with those, for instance. Nobody can claim black people were alone in their experience with the effects of colonization. If black people have a higher standard reserved only for their oppression, it seems intolerant for everyone else.
lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. This topic has been a source a conflict for/between myself and some others I know.

I have decidedly feminist leanings, but I love dudebro entertainment. Tosh.0, Family Guy, Workaholics, Key and Peele, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Chappelle Show, South Park, Drawn Together, rape jokes, gay jokes, racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc..... I find them all effin' hilarious.

That said, I understand that this style of humor doesn't resonate with everyone. I won't argue that you're "humorless" because you took offense, unless I'm kidding around. I do think that many of these jokes/shows are smarter than naysayers give them credit for though.

Last edited by lol on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To everyone their own Gods. I'll just mention that I hate all but one of those shows and leave it at that. There are pretty cool people that I like from each fan base.
lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am a live and let live type too.

I'm curious which of those you don't hate though.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
Russians, Indians, and Chinese all figured huge numbers of slaves as well. They weren't necessarily imported. Somehow that's less significant. If Amerindians weren't scattered away, they would have been used as slaves, but there's less weight in hypothesizing. The list goes on for many other peoples as well, even beyond the context of slavery. Warfare, land grabs, and the associated ethnic discrimination with those, for instance. Nobody can claim black people were alone in their experience with the effects of colonization. If black people have a higher standard reserved only for their oppression, it seems intolerant for everyone else.

As far as I know, native Americans weren't used (for long, anyway) because they were too easy to loose. Same with indentured white servants. But if a black person ran away in a land where nearly all black people were slaves, then it was easier to find them. That would have been different in places like Louisiana, where there was a sizable population of free black people.

The fact that other cultures have and had slaves historically doesn't change the fact that slavery is bad. If everyone does it, it is still just as bad. The suffering slavery has caused black people is not diminished by the suffering other groups have had.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bang Theory is meh. I had really high hopes that it would turn out to be a comedy that was aimed more at nerds and would be more realistic and have more inside jokes and references to things that nerds would get. Ended up being a comedy aimed at a general audience that plays off of nerd stereotypes instead and just comes off as forced and unrealistic.

Best comedy TV I ever watched was probably Dilbert, the cartoon series. God I'm sad that they cancelled that after one season, it had some really good potential. Like family guy, but more intelligent, sarcastic and cynical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJsPa6UwcM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: