welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ought Comedians Tell Rape jokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

There are some lines Comedians ought not cross.
Of course.
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
No, nothing is sacred.
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 44

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mime rape jokes! now that's edgy
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike, you Titanium Man, I love you. That is the exact line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

A guy struggling to get IN to a box?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's Guardian,

Quote:
there are no unfit subjects for jokes, just lots of unfit jokes.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/s0HgCqMYoMTp0XkxrBkdEvQ/view.m?id=15&gid=commentisfree/2012/jul/29/equation-risk-free-david-mitchell&cat=commentisfree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

A guy struggling to get IN to a box?

This falls under the category of "funny because it's wrong"

Also the default answer to the thread question is, of course "Yes, so long as they are about your mom."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
From today's Guardian,

Quote:
there are no unfit subjects for jokes, just lots of unfit jokes.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/s0HgCqMYoMTp0XkxrBkdEvQ/view.m?id=15&gid=commentisfree/2012/jul/29/equation-risk-free-david-mitchell&cat=commentisfree

Same thing for the less narrow minded.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/29/equation-risk-free-david-mitchell?newsfeed=true

David mitchell throws the best fits/rants on QI. I haven't read the article, but I am prejudiced that it will be good.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope so mate, given its the article I quoted from.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet the most common sexist joke is the "(compensating for a) tiny dick" joke. Hur hur.

You could probably write quite a bit about that, maybe try to frame it as a macho(?) aspect of beyonce style independent woman pop-culture. But please don't. Or do it somewhere else.

Either way, I don't really mind these jokes (because I am comfortable with my giant penis, naturally) and I'm fairly sure that most men don't, or at least push away the tiny part of them (hur hur) that objects to this as a childish concern (or possibly they're all trying hard to look as self-confident as possible at this point).

So what's going on here? Are we just generally insensitive to the feelings of tiny-penissed men or is the common consensus that - in the end - size doesn't matter and we can all have a good laugh at the immature uncomfortableness that women (esp. plural) laughing at tiny dicks create in men?

PS Sorry in advance for any feminist hating idiots using this as ammo
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will no one speak up for the poor bishop's feelings? after all, if writing '1612' in biodegradable paint has him so upset, think of what all the 'London 2012' stuff must be doing to him.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: This had already been posted
Raal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think everyone who says, there should be no boundries to comedy at all is most likely naive, extremely privileged and ignorant as fuck.

Did you even consider why people say, there should be limits? Do you actually believe, its just because they are offended or they fear someone could be offended?
And the free speech argument? Seriously? "Hurfhurf, you can't blame me for what comes out of my mouth, free speech!!11"
Free speech means, you won't get trouble with the police for saying stuff. It does NOT mean, it protects you from people thinking of you as a bigot.
We are talking about moral borders here. So why do we have moral borders in terms of stuff that shouldn't be said?
Its simple, because the human mind -even with the most ignorant- is constantly unconsciously evolving while watching tv, discussion rl or on the internet and whatsoever, so even while reading this, your're changing a little. In this case it could branch to all kinds of stuff like "yea, nothing new here" but it solidifies your beliefs or "thats new stuff to me" so an open mind will chack if here is more to learn, or "this is not/only in part true, because I learned about things invalidating what he says" but still, you experienced a new perspective on the matter, or "I only read the first sentence and he pisses me off already, because I made up my mind on that topic long ago" now you could be even more offended by reading stuff like this, maybe acting on it with trolling or sarcasm, and so on. Point is, whatever you read or hear or think, it changes you a little. So anybody giving a signal to others should evaluate their impact on the audience.

Rape-Jokes are very similar to Nigger-Jokes I believe. The "joke" is putting completely disgusting behavior/ideas into a funny context. The justification of the degradation of the victim very often in the joke. People laughing about those won't instantly become rapists, and they don't yet think, that in every man is a rapist, but its slowly going in that direction, the more casually and lightly the topic is treated.
"Feminists don't think all men are rapists. Rapists do."
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't read what most of us said, apparently. There were a number of us who said that comedy that attacks the weak is cruel, and that good comedy speaks truth to power or deconstructs everyday tropes to show how ridiculous they are.

Many also pointed out that drawing a line simply isn't a rational way to deal with an issue. Nothing should be off limits to comedy because nothing should be off limits to talk about, period. It's not "can you make jokes about rape?" but "how do you make jokes about rape?" If you can do it in a way that shines light on the issue, rather than denigrating the victim, then more power to you.
Raal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You didn't read what most of us said, apparently. There were a number of us who said that comedy that attacks the weak is cruel, and that good comedy speaks truth to power or deconstructs everyday tropes to show how ridiculous they are.

Many also pointed out that drawing a line simply isn't a rational way to deal with an issue. Nothing should be off limits to comedy because nothing should be off limits to talk about, period. It's not "can you make jokes about rape?" but "how do you make jokes about rape?" If you can do it in a way that shines light on the issue, rather than denigrating the victim, then more power to you.

Yes to be honest. Only read into the first few and skipped through most of the others. Became a habit on this forum pretty fast lol. (Why are your threads so damn long? :C )
The free speech thing was the last comment I read before I hit the reply button.

My comment was mainly aimed at those who voted there should be no limit at all. The Poll wasn't "can/how do you make jokes about rape?". It was "There are some lines Comedians ought not cross." and I think its pretty ok to say, they ought not cross some lines. Im talking about "haha dumb raped sluts/niggers/faggots/retards" and so on.
I'm not saying to forbid it per law, but to socially condemn them, because these jokes are encouraging very dumb and dangerous ideas.

Because behavior, like for example, of Daniel Tosh should NOT be regarded as "haha, well he is a comedian right?" Remember when a women of his audience stood up saying his rape jokes are inappropriate and he replied, "would it be funny if this girl got gang raped right this moment, like right now right now?"? Thats one of those lines not ought to be crossed in my opionion.
Maybe this is a harsh example, because I kind of wonder why this guy isn't behind bars already. But there are enough of his sort in a little less radical way.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this thread was started as a result of a discussion on Tosh in another thread. The point is, though, our only weapon against people saying horrible things is to make them regret saying them. But the question at the beginning of this thread is too simplistic to catch the nuance of what we discussed - that is, that it isn't whether you discuss a topic but how - and so we went with "sure they can make rape jokes, but..." and then expanded the question to issues of when they're acceptable and when they aren't.

Regardless, though, people like Tosh will always find an audience in the privileged majority who see mocking victims and the less privileged as "telling it like it is." Understanding that this is cruel is probably too much to ask of someone who makes their living reveling in the pain of women, minorities, fat people, etc.

Also our threads are long because we tend to use them as collections. We have a "pleasures" thread that's hundreds of pages long because whenever life is going well we post about it in that thread. The "news stories" thread is similarly long for the same reason. Whenever we see a cool news story we post it there, rather than making a new thread. You don't have to read from the beginning (that would be going back years in some cases). Start at the end and work backward.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like in illusional magic stage-play:

There is a limit to how far you can go and how real it is.

Not only is the context important, but where it's presented.

Humor is all about passive-aggressive expressions of hate.

If the hate is too obvious and the comedian is serious, the audience boos.

The stage is supposed to be a safe and entertaining place. If the audience has to worry about getting shot or raped by: actors, federal officials and/or other audience members:: then the show loses it's value and fewer people fund it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: