welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-08-03: Just The Way I Am
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID vs SuperEgo

Patriarchy this is not, those things have nothing to do with gender specific.

Devils are usually associated with animal instincts as the main driving force of their lives, I'd say these are her's, so she feels fakey for trying to break that mold.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, uh... except it kind of is related to the patriarchy? Via proxy? Within Sinfest's canon - the patriarchy was (supposedly) started by The Devil and he is in charge of anything and everything it does. So if he wants devil people (namely devil girls) to be oppressed - to feel worthless and insecure and fake for trying to be anything but what HE wants them to be - his minions, his servants, his supporters, objectified sex objects - then he can and he will use the patriarchy to get what he wants - so they'll come crawling to him and... you know... be all submissive and stuff to him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has less to do with the patriarchy and more to do with people's personal demons and urges. Saying people are "animals", "greedy", "selfish", and "Creatures, nothing more" strikes me as both demeaning and at the same time an attempt at justification of these urges.

Although you know all the matrix rain leads back to Big D, so you never know.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the words in the sky are apparently under his control, so if he's the fomenting the patriarchy, then the words he uses are presumably intended to reinforce patriarchal notions (gender stereotypes, inability to change from those stereotypes, etc).

Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, an actual friendly conversation between two women that has nothing to do with men or sex. Who'd have thought, huh? Wink

Finally, Fuchsia appears to have a friend who isn't Crim or Blue (not counting the old coffeehouse/bakery lady; so far they've only chatted once). Perhaps 'Nique will later clue Crim in on how maybe it'd be a nice idea to encourage interaction between his girlfriend and his other friends, and perhaps then Fuchsia will reciprocate (presuming she has Devil friends other than Blue).

Fuchsia's artistic problem may be that her concepts of good/bad are a little too subjective in some places.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2

Miss Magenta wrote:
I think it's supposed to represent what society within Sinfest's canon thinks of Fuchsia and/or devil girls in general.

It might even just be what Seymour thinks of them (except for Pebbles; a Devil Girl's one of his best friends (if not his only friend), but he wouldn't want his, well, you know how it goes). Even the discriminatory signs from that one strip that one time don't necessarily mean anyone else thinks that lowly of Devil People.

Delakando:anyone else think this means that nique will recruit her?

Uh...for?
Vancore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Well, uh... except it kind of is related to the patriarchy? Via proxy?

The Devil has a big umbrella.

If the Devil was female, and it was still Fuchsia in the comic, it Could still be the same thing raining down on her. The Matrix isn't evil itself, it just decodes thoughts, judgments and impressions that rain down on people, neither side really controls it but it does come in handy to reveal things from time to time.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This plotline has been ghost written by Marcel Proust, right?.
Motorcycle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that would be akward since Fuscia did live sex shows infront of Slick with Blue as part of keeping him corrupted. Pretty sure that would make for akward times between all. Squig would be ok since all he's done is just seen her around & she even helped him down from the tree when his toliet crashed into it.
Salpta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. This version of the Patrimatrix makes me think of the adage: "You find what you're looking for".
Kylra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
joandark wrote:
Hm. That's odd. The idea that all people are bound by their selfish desires and are inherently evil seems not to have much to do with the feminist philosophy or theme. Seems the patriarchy has been replaced with the "pessimarchy." Maybe we'll start seeing "archy"s for everything now. We'll visit the "fundiearchy" with Seymore later.

I don't think the Patriarchy in the Sinfest universe it exactly our idea of what the Patriarchy is in reality. In Sinfest it seems to be something bigger. It's a controlling entity that is holding the characters to not only its ideas of gender. You could even say that the Patriarchy has a "personality" in this case. Like it's sitting there laughing at Fyoosh...or something like that.

But this comic seems like it was very deep in the concept of what's happening, and I think this may be leading somewhere that won't be explained just yet. I could be wrong of course. But that's the fun of waiting!

"Biology isn't destiny" is one of those feminist things. Even aside from that though, it's also a race thing, and the "devil" part of being a "devil girl" is more race related than gender related, which seems to be a big segment of Fuchsia's problems. More specifically, it seems like Fuchsia has problems being shown related specifically to an intersection of both race and gender. Racism and sexism very often go hand in hand though, and a lot of activist thought framework in one area crosses into the other very easily even if the specifics are different.

If there's another "archy" coming into in play here, it's going to be a race related one. However, if "devil" is a race analogue here, that means the real-life version which is "white supremacy" (and I'm not at all just talking about the KKK and Neo-nazis either) isn't going to be the official title.

Also, if anything, Patriarchy in Sinfest as depicted is still lesser than it is in real life.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
A tad bit. I don't know man. What's uplifting about being called an animal, a creature, selfish, greedy, venal, and that's all you're ever going to be?

When somebody else calls me that, it makes it much easier to disregard than when I think it of myself. In a way, I can agree that such would be uplifting.
Hydra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the use of the Patriarchy Matrix was out of place in the context of this.

At first it was some gender binary thing, but now it's beginning to just make fun of people. Dial back on that.

A better idea would have been to have an actual person make fun of Fush.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one's commented on Tat editing the strip
someone usually does

eh

whatever
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
no one's commented on Tat editing the strip
someone usually does

eh

whatever

Oh, hey, I didn't notice. I think I like this version better. "Not entirely," was kind of wishy-washy.
KDX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really odd, not sure if anyone else noticed but there was a previous version of the strip that was replaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: