welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-08-05 Graduation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An attempt at showing the type of backstory behind _some_ people taking up sex work, or something of that sort? It has overtones of exploitation. Humanises to the point where she is not just a sexy devil girl, but someone taken advantage of because of certain flaws, or who at least was vulnerable. Anyway. I like her expressions when interacting with the teenage Devil. Quite realistic for that sort of adolescent fledgeling relationship.
Mellifluous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, compassion from Medium D? No, it looks more like he's found an angle to use in manipulating/ recruiting her.

There are guys that use a woman's emotional distress to weasel their way in. I knew one who used it as a precursor to rape. Pretty effective, too. He was averaging a girl a month in college. He'd cruise the Library and some of the quieter spots on campus, find a young woman crying for whatever reason, say that he would listen, his dad was a minister (he was, Pentecostal), he would just like to be there for her, it's getting late/cold/buggy, let's move it to my private dorm room, you know you want this you dirty little whore, now get the fuck out of my room, off she goes back to cry somewhere. Blunt, not very smooth, but sadly effective. The women found out about each other, and even called themselves by the month he had attacked them. Kind of like the devil-girls being a different colour.

Don't be so quick to find kindness in the Devil's actions. Also, the Devil may not be a constant, but rather dynastic/hereditary in nature.
Ember778

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Are we going to take this great strip and root it back into feminism?

Screw you guys I'm just going to interpret it how I wish to.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:

And we're interpreting it as we wish. What's your point? Do you honestly think that we, internet strangers that post of a webcomic forum, will shut up because of your subtle post?

Debate on, my fellow forumites. Silence is an enemy of progress.
ktern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think D is quite as bad (especially at this age) as some of you guys are making him out to be. more of a rebel than an a villain. not to mention that sinfest has never portrayed him as being a subtle manipulator--he's generally surprisingly open and heavy-handed. i doubt that he was actually sneakier at a younger age
Hydra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellifluous wrote:
Really, compassion from Medium D? No, it looks more like he's found an angle to use in manipulating/ recruiting her.

There are guys that use a woman's emotional distress to weasel their way in. I knew one who used it as a precursor to rape. Pretty effective, too. He was averaging a girl a month in college. He'd cruise the Library and some of the quieter spots on campus, find a young woman crying for whatever reason, say that he would listen, his dad was a minister (he was, Pentecostal), he would just like to be there for her, it's getting late/cold/buggy, let's move it to my private dorm room, you know you want this you dirty little whore, now get the fuck out of my room, off she goes back to cry somewhere. Blunt, not very smooth, but sadly effective. The women found out about each other, and even called themselves by the month he had attacked them. Kind of like the devil-girls being a different colour.

Don't be so quick to find kindness in the Devil's actions. Also, the Devil may not be a constant, but rather dynastic/hereditary in nature.

You people are paranoid.

Also, "rape as backstory" is lazy.
Ember778

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

And we're interpreting it as we wish. What's your point? Do you honestly think that we, internet strangers that post of a webcomic forum, will shut up because of your subtle post?

You can do what you want. I didn't say that you had to be silenced. I merely posted that I thought it was ridiculous that everything has to be about feminism.

Which is pretty much why I hate feminists. You're like the Jews. Other people have prejudice issues as well, but you guys go out of your way to bitch and moan about it. The holocaust is the most known case of genocide, yet it wasn't even the biggest genocide in WW2 let alone in history.

You have your opinion and I have my opinion. Simple as that. Neither of us are going to change the other's mind.

I however like this comic strip and if you look at panel 4 row 4, panel 1 row 5, and the last panel I don't interpret the devil to be trying to take advantage of Blue at all. I think he is showing compassion because he empathizes with Blue.

Interpret it how you want. This is how I see it.
Mellifluous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra wrote:

You people are paranoid.

Also, "rape as backstory" is lazy.

Did you even read the post you were responding to, or did you just scan it, come to the word rape, and get bent out of shape?

I was using a story from real life about real people using not so subtle manipulation of emotionally vulerable women to get what they want. It's not paranoia, as it happens all the time, it's not subtle, it's not even a feminist thing, as women can and have employed the same tactic to get what they want.

It's opportunistic manipulation, and it's not so amazingly complex that young children don't know how to employ it. Fucking duh.
Mellifluous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

You can do what you want. I didn't say that you had to be silenced. I merely posted that I thought it was ridiculous that everything has to be about feminism.

Which is pretty much why I hate feminists. You're like the Jews. Other people have prejudice issues as well, but you guys go out of your way to bitch and moan about it. The holocaust is the most known case of genocide, yet it wasn't even the biggest genocide in WW2 let alone in history.

You have your opinion and I have my opinion. Simple as that. Neither of us are going to change the other's mind.

I however like this comic strip and if you look at panel 4 row 4, panel 1 row 5, and the last panel I don't interpret the devil to be trying to take advantage of Blue at all. I think he is showing compassion because he empathizes with Blue.

Interpret it how you want. This is how I see it.

Holy shit, you're a fucktard.
Ember778

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is your opinion. And you're totally entitled to have it.

But it really doesn't affect me in any way.
Mellifluous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:

Just sayin'. I would never think of making you change your opinion of yourself.
Ember778

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellifluous wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

Just sayin'. I would never think of making you change your opinion of yourself.

Nah you said it to provoke. There really was no other reason. I mean it doesn't add anything to the conversation. Just serves as an inflammatory tool.

There are better ways of saying you disagree with me. You chose that one not because you're just saying, but because you wanted to provoke a different inflammatory response. On the internet we call those trolls.

But I've been on a number of boards and can see through that now. It's just not worth getting upset about.

I posted my opinion. You can disagree with it and provide your own opinion which you did. Calling me a "fucktard" doesn't really add anything to the conversation though. It just promotes more bullshit.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

My...mymymy a new one.

Well lets just get this out of the way, this post right here pretty much ensures that very very few people here are going to take your opinions on things very seriously at all. In fact you've already fallen into my contemptible piece of shit category with your backhanded slap at Jews "bitching and moaning" about the holocaust, so kindly go fuck yourself for that. Also, the fact that you think you can roll in like that and then point the finger at others for being trolls is laughable, just like you are yourself.

Laughable fat little neckbeard.

Maybe you should go post on Stormfront or something, you'll find more sympathy for your attitudes there.
Ember778

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

My...mymymy a new one.

Well lets just get this out of the way, this post right here pretty much ensures that very very few people here are going to take your opinions on things very seriously at all. In fact you've already fallen into my contemptible piece of shit category with your backhanded slap at Jews "bitching and moaning" about the holocaust, so kindly go fuck yourself for that. Also, the fact that you think you can roll in like that and then point the finger at others for being trolls is laughable, just like you are yourself.

Laughable fat little neckbeard.

Maybe you should go post on Stormfront or something, you'll find more sympathy for your attitudes there.

That's okay. I'm not looking for sympathy. I posted my opinion. You don't have to agree with it, and I've been in the background around these boards for quite a while. I know there are quite a bit of people who are feminists here and I don't expect to be popular. That isn't the point.

And you're entitled to your own opinion as well. I'm merely posting mine.

And just FWI. I'm not fat, and I shave.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All opinions aren't created equal chief. Yours says some very uncomplimentary things about the kind of person you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: