Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School shooting at Dawson in Montreal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10060
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See that's your first mistake, assuming some sort of logic or rational reasoning was used.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kilgore



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2831
Location: Portland, Or

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
And armed cops in a school is just fucking crazy.


Why is that crazy?
_________________
"Whatever afflicts thee, their asses I shall kick"

-Slick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm guessing because, until recently, london street cops weren't armed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marik



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: om gunz Reply with quote

We had armed officers in our high school all year long.

See, it was the training ground for new beat cops: they would start in Boulder High as a field exercise, since it helps them figure out the beat groove and our students were completely absolutely harmless. We have nothing, no shootings or stabbings or fights or anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No drugs? Very Happy
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Azmoten



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2210
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARMLESS
_________________
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Solid Jackson (From Jingo, by Terry Pratchett)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10877
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what drugs are.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 11871
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly what drugs are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Azmoten



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2210
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITALICS
_________________
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Solid Jackson (From Jingo, by Terry Pratchett)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teh Digital Dragon



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1888
Location: THE WORLD OF LARNING.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
And armed cops in a school is just fucking crazy.


Why is that crazy?

Maybe itís a cultural thing but to me it seems like a crazy overreaction to a tiny potential threat. Kid's don't need to see cops with guns.

Major Tom wrote:
i'm guessing because, until recently, london street cops weren't armed.

They still aren't armed outside of certain important areas in central london.
_________________
"You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometimes fight it out or perish. And if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i was determined not to overstate my knowledge.

i just remember the flap about the really unfortunate fellow in the winter coat in the subway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teh Digital Dragon



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1888
Location: THE WORLD OF LARNING.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cops who shot Jean Charles de Menezes would of been specially trained armed-response officers rather than normal beat cops. Which kind of makes it worse.
_________________
"You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometimes fight it out or perish. And if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true.

i'm curious, though - is that at at least part of the cultural difference?
not the subway shooting, but the fact that your streetcops are unarmed.

it only make sense to me that it would make armed cops in a highschool alien to you, since unarmed urban cops seems insane to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10060
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
And armed cops in a school is just fucking crazy.


Why is that crazy?

Maybe itís a cultural thing but to me it seems like a crazy overreaction to a tiny potential threat. Kid's don't need to see cops with guns.

Major Tom wrote:
i'm guessing because, until recently, london street cops weren't armed.

They still aren't armed outside of certain important areas in central london.


That's where you're wrong. My old high school has a VERY high percentage of youth who emigrated from inner city NYC and Philly and other unsavory urban areas. To some of those kids an unarmed officer would not intimidate them in the least bit. I know of at least 3 people who were expelled while I was in high school for bringing guns to school, several more for knives and such. Gotta love those gangstas Confused
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teh Digital Dragon



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1888
Location: THE WORLD OF LARNING.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
And armed cops in a school is just fucking crazy.


Why is that crazy?

Maybe itís a cultural thing but to me it seems like a crazy overreaction to a tiny potential threat. Kid's don't need to see cops with guns.

Major Tom wrote:
i'm guessing because, until recently, london street cops weren't armed.

They still aren't armed outside of certain important areas in central london.


That's where you're wrong. My old high school has a VERY high percentage of youth who emigrated from inner city NYC and Philly and other unsavory urban areas. To some of those kids an unarmed officer would not intimidate them in the least bit. I know of at least 3 people who were expelled while I was in high school for bringing guns to school, several more for knives and such. Gotta love those gangstas Confused

I doubt thatís exactly a typical experience. In the uk gun crime in schools is pretty rare, so itís difficult to see how introducing police with guns to the learning environment can be justified. And while I understand that such incidents are more common in the states I find it diffcult to believe theyíre such a present threat in most schools that a permanent armed guard is really neccesary.
_________________
"You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometimes fight it out or perish. And if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group