welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-08-03: Just The Way I Am
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holocauxt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: 2012-08-03: Just The Way I Am Reply with quote

I seriously hope that "Matrix rain" is not what Tat thinks what we think of Fush.

I want her to be fully redeemed and genuinely good. I don't know where those subconscious thoughts come from.
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's supposed to represent what society within Sinfest's canon thinks of Fuchsia and/or devil girls in general. Not specifically what we think of Fyoosh, but... just what people in the comic's setting think of her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it weird that I'm finding the Patriarchy's messages uplifting in this strip?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tad bit. I don't know man. What's uplifting about being called an animal, a creature, selfish, greedy, venal, and that's all you're ever going to be?

(It's obviously quite saddening, since Fyoosh quite obviously wants to be more than any of that.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeah... "You're just animals; biological urges; appetites; selfish; greedy; venal creatures; that's all you are; nothing more"... not my image of "uplifting."
redshirt26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no wonder she's depressed. She's been living in the forest ever since she left Big D's place nine months ago. Do they follow apartheid where they live?!

Give Fyoosh a place to live. Reformed Ex-Succubi Have Rights Too!
Holocauxt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought she was staying at Granny Cake's shop or somethin'...
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
ktern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next she's gonna be obsessed with ducks gawd
joandark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. That's odd. The idea that all people are bound by their selfish desires and are inherently evil seems not to have much to do with the feminist philosophy or theme. Seems the patriarchy has been replaced with the "pessimarchy." Maybe we'll start seeing "archy"s for everything now. We'll visit the "fundiearchy" with Seymore later.

About where she's staying: I'm sure Crim would let her stay at his place if she had nowhere else to stay. I'd doubt that she was homeless right now.
sammich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for one, it doesn't say "and that's all you're ever going to be."

If you're just an animal, like all other animals, that means you're not special. There are no special rules, exceptions, duties, or benefits for you. Being an animal gives lot more freedom than most theologies and philosophies have ever given humanity.

The mid section appeals to me in a Daoist illusion dispelling way. You have appetites and biological urges. How can you ever rule your body if you do not understand it and why it does what it does? Can you reconcile a desire to not follow those urges and appetites if you pretend that they are a part of your consciousness, if you pretend that you are to blame for them?

Yes, we are selfish, greedy, and venal. And some of the most evil people in history refused to accept the possibility that they could be bad people who do bad things because they're inherently bad people. Lots of people agree with that statement, but how many people are willing to admit that's true not just of brutal dictators but ourselves and our loved ones? When you know that you are predispositioned to bad behavior but simultaneously predispositioned believe you are always doing good things, you reach a meta-awareness that allows you actually do good things, if you so choose of course.

That's all you are (present tense). Nothing more. Now that you know that, what will you become?

Edit: Of course, I know the Patriarchy couldn't possibly intend that subtext and I expect Tat intended for us to take it as other posters have.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern wrote:
next she's gonna be obsessed with ducks gawd

But it's MY job to be obsessed with ducks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yes sammich that makes loads of sense and if you ignore the first three panels of this strip and basically every other time those Matrix-y lines appear in Sinfest it might even work!

maybe

okay not really
Delakando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: heh Reply with quote

anyone else think this means that nique will recruit her? better yet will this also mean she turns her back on her friend?
Adyon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
Hm. That's odd. The idea that all people are bound by their selfish desires and are inherently evil seems not to have much to do with the feminist philosophy or theme. Seems the patriarchy has been replaced with the "pessimarchy." Maybe we'll start seeing "archy"s for everything now. We'll visit the "fundiearchy" with Seymore later.

I don't think the Patriarchy in the Sinfest universe it exactly our idea of what the Patriarchy is in reality. In Sinfest it seems to be something bigger. It's a controlling entity that is holding the characters to not only its ideas of gender. You could even say that the Patriarchy has a "personality" in this case. Like it's sitting there laughing at Fyoosh...or something like that.

But this comic seems like it was very deep in the concept of what's happening, and I think this may be leading somewhere that won't be explained just yet. I could be wrong of course. But that's the fun of waiting!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I had Big D pegged as "Mister Patriarchy" himself. Maybe I'm not far from the truth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: