welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-08-13: No Gods No Masters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekomancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'm brand new to this forum, though I've been reading a lot of the comments for quite awhile. My son introduced Sinfest to me a while back and I've become a regular reader. I have found the insights of Sinfest to be, well, insightful! But todays' strip really wowed me and I decided to join up. So here I am. I don't really have much to say at the moment. I know some of the conversations here get pretty intense, but that testifies to the artist ability to communicate and stir up all these issues. So well done Tat!

I should mention that my son is gay and he's been sharing with me about a lot of the "patriarchal" issues I had/have inflicted family-wise. I've come a long ways, particularly by going from Christianity to Buddhism (and now a Buddhist minister), by I know I still carry a lot of baggage. But hey, it's attachments, and I need to let them go!

Anyway, carry on with the discussion!
Dawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse pretty much said in her post what I witness in the villages of my country, and pretty much every other third world country with villages.
Have you ever witnessed what the poor do? It's the *women* who sell their wares at the market, and most other sellers are a good mix of men and women. (Assuming that their lifestyle more accurately reflects a relatively recent past of villages before modern industrialization).

Try walking the streets of Bangkok, of Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. and you would see that many MANY of the sellers trying to make a living are adult *females*, selling their food, wares and everything under the sun.

Try walking the *villages* of said countries and you would see both men *AND* women hard at work with the fields.

Somehow I don't think the same applies in Africa. Life is *Way* too hard for the women not to be too far away from the house. She needs to get water, mind the children and do a variety of other things. I'm not sure, but I don't think she generates as much 'money/capital' compared to her Asian counterparts.

When modern industrialization came along, somehow some people decided that it would be a good idea to reduce the activities of women from farming and selling stuff to being a complete home maker, entertaining guests, socializing, cooking, singing, sewing, minding the children etc comes to mind (Pride and Prejudice anyone?) Just like it elevated one's status when one's skin was white (in Asian societies), because it meant that you could afford *not* to work under the sun.

(Which is why many Asians are so bemused by the Caucasian obsession with getting tanned)

However, I challenge your notion that women do not generate as much capital. In many poorer countries for thousands of years, Asian women are still doing the same thing they have always done - making ends meet by generating capital. It happened then, it is happening today.

China
http://www.fao.org/sd/WPdirect/WPre0107.htm

Women's role in relation to men varies depending on the agricultural production system and the agroecological conditions
• Women have extensive work loads with dual responsibility for farm and household production
• Women's work is getting harder and more time-consuming due to ecological degradation, male out-migration and the shift to the household responsibility system • Women have an active role and extensive involvement in livestock production, forest and water resource use but their input needs are poorly addressed
• Women contribute considerably to household income through farm and non-farm activities
• Women's work as family labour is underestimated

Cambodia
http://www.fao.org/sd/WPdirect/WPre0106.htm

• among the farming population, over 65% are women
• women have dual responsibility for farm as well as household management
• women have on average 20% lower literacy rates than men
• women are actively involved in artisanal fisheries and manage small livestock • marketing of agricultural products is mainly done by women
• women contribute actively to household income through petty trade, wage/exchange labour and handicrafts
• women's contribution as family labour is undervalued and never included in accounting as work

Nepal
http://www.fao.org/sd/WPdirect/WPre0110.htm

90.5% of women are engaged in agriculture as against 74.9% of men
• Women have extensive work loads with dual responsibility for farm and household production
• Women's work is getting harder and more time consuming due to ecological degradation
• Women play an active role in livestock production and forest resource use
• Women contribute considerably to household income through farm and non-farm activities
• Women are active as informal traders

You get the idea.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekomancer wrote:

I'd carry on the discussion if I were actually in it, or actually cared for it, I'm just here to say I love your username omg.

NEKOMANCER. THAT'S SO FRICKIN CUTE. *A*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
LOTTA TEXT

Oh, now I understand what you were getting at. See, I didn't believe that its just the MALE EGO doing it. It doesn't really matter if the sisterhood won, people would still want to control others. Its a natural fact, its the reason why Communism never works and soon becomes the rulers live like kings while the poor (while being rich) have to stand in line in order to get bread.

Even if "Glossy" would win, and the patriarchy would be demolished, we might get a few years of harmony, then inevitably, one of the 'leaders' would think, "you know, I'm better than Seymour, why do I have to treat him like he's the same as me? (lets assume its years later and everyone has jobs) Why shouldn't I have more of his share because I'm better."

I'm not saying that they are planning this either, its just that your ID can get the better of you. The minute you get a little bit more power than someone else, you start getting full of your self. Rapture's downfall wasn't caused by a few males deciding to do nothing when they could, it came from a new power that no one had found before, being found, and thus someone became more powerful than the other, and the domino's started to fall one after the other.

EDIT: And WOW, I just compared the Sisterhood to Communism... that wasn't my intention and I think I will stop posting on this particular post, see you at the next highly volatile comic.
Fuzzles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Resistance will ever go toe to toe with the Sisterhood...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyahahaha

Nekomancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Nekomancer wrote:

I'd carry on the discussion if I were actually in it, or actually cared for it, I'm just here to say I love your username omg.

Thank you! I blush! But yes, it IS frikin cute!! Glad to bring a smile!
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you sure picked a strange place to introduce yourself in, but none the less, hello Nekomancer.

You'll learn stuff here. Not sure it's what you'll want to learn though.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

As I read it with my orbs

I must agree: It is adorbs

<3
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello new catperson! Welcome, welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay. If you've been reading along in your Prairie Home Companion, you'll see that this is where the crazy lives. If you enjoy playing with the crazy, please feel free to hang about. If not, roam the grounds until you feel at home. And, as always, mind the gap.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzles wrote:

we all know how it'd end if such a thing occurred.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Fuzzles wrote:

we all know how it'd end if such a thing occurred.

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeehaw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Yeehaw.

I also wanted to say, you are an excellent artist. What kind of drawing tablet do you use?
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekomancer wrote:
Hi! I'm brand new to this forum, though I've been reading a lot of the comments for quite awhile. My son introduced Sinfest to me a while back and I've become a regular reader. I have found the insights of Sinfest to be, well, insightful! But todays' strip really wowed me and I decided to join up. So here I am. I don't really have much to say at the moment. I know some of the conversations here get pretty intense, but that testifies to the artist ability to communicate and stir up all these issues. So well done Tat!

I should mention that my son is gay and he's been sharing with me about a lot of the "patriarchal" issues I had/have inflicted family-wise. I've come a long ways, particularly by going from Christianity to Buddhism (and now a Buddhist minister), by I know I still carry a lot of baggage. But hey, it's attachments, and I need to let them go!

I'm always happy to see people embracing other views. Glad to have you here!

Also you have the best name and I am jealous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: