welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking in, checking out
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FemEagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Checking in, checking out Reply with quote

Okay.

I'm a femme, and for the record, I liked Monique's original character - the one who enjoyed her feminine appeal and used it with a vengeance. All of which, BTW, pretty much seemed to be HER choice; I never once got the idea from the strip that a "patriarchy" was behind it. Which is why the strip's suddenly pedantic pseudo-feminist (yes, I mean that, PSEUDO-FEMINIST) tone seems so jarring. Suddenly Monique thinks that the way to liberation is to lessen her femininity and become androgynous. To become homogenized, non-polarized, non-confrontational, non-controversial, non-threatening and non-relational (at least to a girl like me). On top of that, the hetero vibe of the strip is being forcibly converted into the metro/homo/pseudo-pro-bono sexuality of the current political clime, which, by the way, is on the verge of being mowed down by a mighty swing of the societal pendulum. That is, it's become absurd, abusive, oppressive and didactic and thus is likely to collapse beneath the weight of its own arrogance and animus - and THIS is the type of social strata Tat wants to celebrate? Alas, I fear he's becoming the Dick Gregory of comic artists - someone who's become a little too aware of his own influence and feels he must sacrifice the funny in order to right what he sees is society's wrongs.

In other words, this strip has gotten seriously fucked up. And until I get word that it's back on (the laugh) track, I'm outta here.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting!

the bizarro sinfest you have been reading sounds terrible. maybe you should try real sinfest!
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes! Someone who has never posted before isn't going to post anymore! I can't go one anymore! My life, it's forever altered! I just can't go on giving a fuck about random internet people who think they matter! *faints*

On a side note, I find Eagle's description of society interesting... we certainly are on a far-right "absurd, abusive, oppressive and didactic" social swing, which I can only hope is "likely to collapse beneath the weight of its own arrogance and animus." I don't see why that's a bad thing, though!
FemEagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, what a bunch of drama queens! I expected no less from boys who sit down to pee. Well, at least the Sinfest message board is funnier than the strip these days (although no less gay).

BAM!
FemEagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Oh noes! Someone who has never posted before isn't going to post anymore! I can't go one anymore! My life, it's forever altered! I just can't go on giving a fuck about random internet people who think they matter! *faints*

On a side note, I find Eagle's description of society interesting... we certainly are on a far-right "absurd, abusive, oppressive and didactic" social swing, which I can only hope is "likely to collapse beneath the weight of its own arrogance and animus." I don't see why that's a bad thing, though!

When that pendulum swings, boy-o, you better be prepared to duck.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i see FemEagle's parents were killed by a gay person and ever since she has sworn to dress up like a douchebag and haunt the internet
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, weren't you leaving forever? you should probably try doing that, you might catch the gay from us if you don't
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's us, just drama queening it up, making posts about how things aren't going our way so we're taking our little red wagon and going home! ... oh wait. Very Happy

For the record, you're kind of shitty at pretending to be a feminist. You couldn't even make it through the first post without trying to demoralize feminist allies with claims of the so-called Hegelian dialectic and approaching hammer fall.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking in, checking out Reply with quote

FemEagle wrote:
Suddenly Monique thinks that the way to liberation is to lessen her femininity and become androgynous.
Yeah, I never got that either.

I think Tat just felt guilty about making a sexual character so he decided to atone. I can kinda see that in the way Monique and her fangirl interact. I feel it's almost like Tat is feeling bad because he perceives that he might have 'corrupted' girls that look up to Monique, like you.

So, in that sense, Tat changed Monique because he was worried about people like you. He did not want you drawing strength from what he felt was a bad source. And now -I guess- he does not have to worry about it. Not that you will change; obviously you will find some other character to relate to, but you'll do it somewhere else so Tat's conscience will be clean.

But, I'm no psychologist so whatdoiknow.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all seriousness, i should think the two comics where Tat pretty much acknowledges that his comic used to be what his comic is criticizing now and then says "but y'know what, fuck it, let's get back to work" should make it abundantly clear that this whole feminism kick isn't going away. who knows how long it'll last for a cartoonist who's pretty much making the story up as he goes, but if you don't like it, well, go read another webcomic

and when/if it does change we will totally remember to tell you about it! promise
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the fact that for all femeagle bemoaned about monique's development she conveniently forgot that although supposedly monique was much "stronger" before getting into this patriarchy dealio, she suffered from crippling self-loathing at times, tended to be kind of suicidal and depressive, she had already lost interest in acting provocative with her sexuality BEFORE meeting the sisterhood due to the whole oops sent a million men to hell thing, was actively dependent on the attention she got from her sexual attractiveness, and she would get frustrated and put her need for attention before any of her other needs.

and its one thing to not like something - that's totally frickin rad! all the power to you and your opinion. but joining a site just for the intention of gong on about how much you don't like something, and why, is kind of a shitty move. you're not here to have any intellectual discussions, or to talk about what you DO like, or anything, you're just here to whine and moan about something you don't like. which is obnoxious, and i'm positive we've got more than enough of that around here.

and what's with the homophobic tone you're taking? not cool, man.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because people like complaining about something more than complimenting something.

But, I think what you're seeing here is more of a statue quo thing going on.
If you went to a store for 10 years to buy a particular flavor of coffee and one day they either removed that item from the menue or changed the recipe into something you did not like, most people would become vocal in their disapproval of the change. You might never had said anything about how much you liked that flavor to anyone working there until the day it changed. You might not even have realized yourself how much it meant to you until it was gone.

Anyway, I'm not sure to what extent anyone here really believes management will give them back the flavor they came to enjoy. I'm not really under such a delusion and I am willing to give this new flavor a try, but voicing my thoughts makes me feel better at any rate.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as how Tat doesn't appear to read the forum or interact with his fans in any way (or if he does, he doesn't appear to care what they say; or, funnier alternative, he does care and all this bitching about these feminism comics is simply encouraging him to make more), not reading the comic is pretty much the only thing you can do that might possibly have any effect. like how the coffee shop won't really care that you're complaining about taking away your favorite flavor if you keep coming back and buying their coffee, but they might care if you and enough other people stop giving them business over it.

in other words if you don't like it, shut up and go away. it might actually work! anyways, if anything's going to work, it'll be that and not whining on a forum.
Ambaryerno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two issues: Message, and presentation. Of the two the latter (as I'd said in another thread) is the main one. Upon reading through the archives, Sinfest was in its past a strip that quite mercilessly satirized extremist attitudes, whether it was political, religious, sexism, consumerism, drug/alcohol use, etc. Once again I compare the current state of the comic to the Matriarchy parodies, where not only was society itself was satirized with the presentation of a comically extreme pro-gender society, but the radical reactions TO it in the form of the antics of Alternate-Slick, Squig and Crim. Both sides were portrayed as quite ludicrous.

However where before extreme and uncompromising views on all sides were poked and prodded quite mercilessly with the parody stick equally, now suddenly there's an extremist viewpoint that at the very least is being tolerated, if not outright supported, with no middle ground being allowed for compromise or discussion even within the comic. Anyone who tries to disagree with Trike just gets dust blown in their face (even GOD). This stops being satire , and starts to become preaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: