welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Fashion models too skinny' says...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move...
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either the waistlines spread, or the ban will, apparently...

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 16, 2006
Filed at 9:47 a.m. ET

LONDON (AP) -- A British Cabinet minister on Saturday called for London Fashion Week to follow its Madrid counterpart and ban extremely thin models from the catwalk.

Fashion Week organizers rejected the call -- but said they were canceling the event's opening photo call to avoid giving the issue more publicity.

Last week Madrid's Fashion Week, the Pasarela Cibeles, announced it was banning models with a Body Mass Index, or height to weight ratio, below 18.

Organizers of the Spanish event said they wanted models to project ''an image of beauty and health'' and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.

''I applaud the decision taken by Madrid to ban super-thin models, and urge the organizers of London Fashion Week to do the same,'' British Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell.

The World Health Organization considers people with a BMI below 18.5 underweight. To achieve a BMI of 18, a 5-foot-9 model would have to weigh about 125 pounds. The average runway model at that height is 115 pounds.

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person's weight is considered normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight.

''The fashion industry's promotion of beauty as meaning stick thin is damaging to young girls' self image and to their health,'' Jowell said in a statement.

''Young girls aspire to look like the catwalk models -- when those models are unhealthily underweight it pressurizes girls to starve themselves to look the same.''

The British Fashion Council, which runs Fashion Week, said in a statement that it ''does not comment or interfere in the aesthetic of any designer's show.''

''The BFC has canceled the photo call on Sunday because it is unwilling to add any more impetus to the publicity surrounding this complicated issue,'' it added,

London Fashion Week opens Monday and runs through Friday.
Krazy Stixx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a law prohibiting models from being too skinny, the terrorists have won.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
Last week Madrid's Fashion Week, the Pasarela Cibeles, announced it was banning models with a Body Mass Index, or height to weight ratio, below 18.

Huh. Guess I won't be walkin' the ol' catwalk in Madrid.

Because I would be! Don't ruin my dream more than those weight Nazis already have!

(in all seriousness, this adds more fuel to my opinion that I should really gain some weight)
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMI is dumb.

-Slick
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I thought using the percent body fat measure much more realistic.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm appalled they'd use BMI for this.

I'm with Fris on this one.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, when you see the actual numbers....one of my swimming buddies is about 6 ft tall, and weighs 120. skinny as a stick, but strong and healthy. she has a fairly narrow frame, and is constantly active.

so yeah, body fat might be a better way of assessing state of health.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health has three categories:

1. Alive
2. Dead
3. Zombie
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hi! I'm Tyra Banks. I've gone on record as to neither denying nor admitting that I was forced out of the runway super-modeling circuit due to my breast being 'too large' for the current fashion trends of the time (i.e. heroin chic)"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG TEH ARMS!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAH!
AH!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
OMG TEH ARMS!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAH!
AH!

post-production photo editing, if you look at the her right elbow, you can see where they cropped her forearm to make it look skinnier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell would they do that? Toned arms are sexy! 'Course, so is the rest of her...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Why the hell would they do that? Toned arms are sexy! 'Course, so is the rest of her...

I forget who posted it on the old forum, but there was a link to photographer's site that specialized in "touching up" dark skinned celebrity photos. I don't remmeber everyone, but Jay-Z, Beyonce, and Halle Berry were a few notables I do. Most of the work involved adjusting light levels and eliminating blemishes, but I remember other things like cropping beyonce's thighs to make them slimmer...off to find the site

*edit

I believe this was the site, though the portfolio is down and no longer has the before/after pictures it once had, then again it coul be the wrong site so I'll keep looking

http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: