welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking in, checking out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iskandar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyOnion wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
why are we still of the mind that what you are is simply reducible to what it is you do for a living and nothing else matters

i guess a thread conceived in stupid could only wind up in a different permutation of stupid but what the fuck

There there shadowcell, you'll get a good job one day.

shadowcell is right, the idea that work defines who you are makes no sense now a days, especially in an age where people change jobs so much.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess if you're, like, twelve years old or something and want to feel important because you think you've figured out the key to making your way through life or whatever, that's what you'd think...
EmptyOnion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
EmptyOnion wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
why are we still of the mind that what you are is simply reducible to what it is you do for a living and nothing else matters

i guess a thread conceived in stupid could only wind up in a different permutation of stupid but what the fuck

There there shadowcell, you'll get a good job one day.

shadowcell is right, the idea that work defines who you are makes no sense now a days, especially in an age where people change jobs so much.

Except that from a cultural standpoint " what you do " equates to " how you
Contribute to society in a meaningful way ." how you venefit the rest of the community is something that is considered very important in mos societies.

Now while people may, and generally are, more than their occupation, a person's occupation is the readily accessible easy to use method of identification in a semi meaningful way. A much for meaningful way than what you feel or think on any given day.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, why didn't you say that in the first place
EmptyOnion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
seriously? You aren't going to find some studies against that, call me an idiot, and go on about how I'm just trying to derail this ridiculous original topic ?

Sad sad day.
ktern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we were derailing the topic anyway, if you're going to help nobody's gonna stop you
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww man I always miss the good troll action.
iskandar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Aww man I always miss the good troll action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpssk85XTQQ

I may be missing the point. However, even if I miss, I still land in a far more awesome target.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyOnion wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
seriously? You aren't going to find some studies against that, call me an idiot, and go on about how I'm just trying to derail this ridiculous original topic ?

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!
*wild applause*
EmptyOnion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF this subject is going to be completely derailed into something random and no one is going to stop me....
has anyone ever heard a your dad joke? (Outside of when Brian told Quagmire he !@#$ed his dad and slammed the door in Family Guy, I haven't heard one in my life).

In the spirit of equal opportunity, just saying.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyOnion wrote:
IF this subject is going to be completely derailed into something random and no one is going to stop me....
has anyone ever heard a your dad joke? (Outside of when Brian told Quagmire he !@#$ed his dad and slammed the door in Family Guy, I haven't heard one in my life).

In the spirit of equal opportunity, just saying.

okay I'm just going to be captain obvious here and point out that "your dad" jokes won't work because "your mom" jokes rely on sexist portrayals of women in our patriarchal society "your dad" would be at best a clumsy subversion of that and probably rely on the same sexist societal values
ktern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naw you're just thinking of the sexual ones. it's easy to flip all the others around. e.g., your daddy so fat

c'mon! with gay marriage on the rise, you can't just give up on being a dick just because some kid doesn't have a mom
iskandar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

okay I'm just going to be captain obvious here and point out that "your dad" jokes won't work because "your mom" jokes rely on sexist portrayals of women in our patriarchal society "your dad" would be at best a clumsy subversion of that and probably rely on the same sexist societal values

your mom jokes don't really rely upon sexism, they revolve around one key problem in human reproduction: mother's baby, father's, maybe. This is also where the knee jerk reaction of playa vs slut comes in. If a man sleeps around with monogamous women, its not so much of a problem, we know where the baby comes from. If a women does the same...houston we have a problem. As society advances, what we inherit from our family is no longer so important (in earlier times it was crucial) so the impact is not so bad anymore, but still it plays a part.

Also, there is the fact that mothers tend to be more important to people than father's usually, especially with men. Father is the guy who teaches you about stuff and is perpetually disappointed, mother is the one who gave birth to you and fed you. One of the reasons why you see this phenomena: person insults a man's father- annoyed but not too bad. Insults mother: prepare to die.
EmptyOnion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:

your mom jokes don't really rely upon sexism, they revolve around one key problem in human reproduction: mother's baby, father's, maybe. This is also where the knee jerk reaction of playa vs slut comes in. If a man sleeps around with monogamous women, its not so much of a problem, we know where the baby comes from. If a women does the same...houston we have a problem. As society advances, what we inherit from our family is no longer so important (in earlier times it was crucial) so the impact is not so bad anymore, but still it plays a part.

Also, there is the fact that mothers tend to be more important to people than father's usually, especially with men. Father is the guy who teaches you about stuff and is perpetually disappointed, mother is the one who gave birth to you and fed you. One of the reasons why you see this phenomena: person insults a man's father- annoyed but not too bad. Insults mother: prepare to die.

I think I like all of the points but one.. is it really no longer important what is "inherited?"
I think no matter how much progress is made, the whole "time and energy" is something that we as people also inherit, while the parents are still alive.

Even if the school system was free, even if the college was free (Both, not so much, which make finances a big part of raising a kid), it is still important how much "love and care" the parents put into the kids, at least.. I would think so for the emotional well being of the kids.

Ps. Your dad's so ... yeah, I just can't think of a good one.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
knee jerk reaction of playa vs slut

value of father vs mother

yup

and also "yo mamma so fat ..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: