welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aug. 23: Curses, foiled again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iskandar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
iskandar wrote:
'Nique, Fyoosh (it was trike that really got her to finally break all ties with the devil), Squigley slowly but surely. Indirectly including this strip which I think is the ultimate parody of what the patriarchy arc has been: http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4274

Meanwhile, she's never actually interacted with Squig much. She spoke to him once, when he said he felt like meat ("Doesn't feel so good, does it?") and that was it. Someone ELSE altogether is the one whose been speaking with Squig and trying to convert him. They're both members of the same organization, but different people. So that doesn't really fit in with your argument. 9_9

Sorry, I tend to use glossy and the sisterhood interchangeably. So yeah, the sisterhood in general have been good at converting people. I think with 'Nique its more the fact that they convinced her to lose her sense of fun about it. I mean, pre sisterhood nique had a lot in common in terms as goals with glossy especially after the accounting, but she also had a sense of fun about it. The converting from fun, third wave 'nique to second wave andronique is the big thing here. As for fyoosh, criminy had been trying to help her out with that for years but glossy did it in one or two strips.

and apparently its my bedtime. night all!
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an enemy zone.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:
Never ever stay in the friendzone. Better end once and for all and move on.

a friendship is a friendship. If you are incapable of seeing yourselves as friends with a girl you are dating without the dating part added in, you probably should not be dating them because it aint going to last at all. Just a little advice from an old man who has seen a lot.

...the friend zone implies that the girl doesn't find you attractive and thus would not want to be in a relationship with you, as in interconnect your lives, be together more and have sex - just listen to each others' problems and provide advice whenever.

If you don't need female friends or can't get over the fact that you wanted and demanded her to want to have sex with you and be with you pretty much forever on the long run, then yes, you should end it, because you're not mature enough to comprehend that a friendship is a friendship and that is what it should be.

For some strange reason, people get so obsessed with the idea that if they are attracted to another human being, they should also be in love with them in return and give them whatever they originally wanted.
This is simply not true, which is why the 'friend zone' as a term exists. The solution would simply be that you wouldn't want to bang that person and just shut up, but people can't seem to get over that "need" of theirs.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a really angry sounding post and I'm rather perplexed as to what or whom that was aimed at.

If you don't want to be friends without dating, that's your choice. If you want to remain friends without dating, that's also your choice. Just don't dwell on it, and don't try to force a decision.

Of course this is coming from a guy who has never dated before, nor do I have any friends. So I suggest you don't follow my advice.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

If you don't want to be friends without dating, that's your choice. If you want to remain friends without dating, that's also your choice. Just don't dwell on it, and don't try to force a decision.

Of course this is coming from a guy who has never dated before, nor do I have any friends. So I suggest you don't follow my advice.

Details. Good common sense is all you need.
Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
iskandar wrote:
'Nique, Fyoosh (it was trike that really got her to finally break all ties with the devil), Squigley slowly but surely. Indirectly including this strip which I think is the ultimate parody of what the patriarchy arc has been: http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4274

Meanwhile, she's never actually interacted with Squig much. She spoke to him once, when he said he felt like meat ("Doesn't feel so good, does it?") and that was it. Someone ELSE altogether is the one whose been speaking with Squig and trying to convert him. They're both members of the same organization, but different people. So that doesn't really fit in with your argument. 9_9

Sorry, I tend to use glossy and the sisterhood interchangeably. So yeah, the sisterhood in general have been good at converting people. I think with 'Nique its more the fact that they convinced her to lose her sense of fun about it. I mean, pre sisterhood nique had a lot in common in terms as goals with glossy especially after the accounting, but she also had a sense of fun about it. The converting from fun, third wave 'nique to second wave andronique is the big thing here. As for fyoosh, criminy had been trying to help her out with that for years but glossy did it in one or two strips

I actually think that despite how we may have read it, Fyoosh wasn't inspired to quit because of glossy. I don't think that's how Tat wrote it anyway. I think the timing was just there that Tat used Glossy to vocalize what Fyoosh was deciding about. It's a bit of a "tell" instead of "show", but I think a lot of this comes down to he's always looking for filler spots sometimes to extend to his Sunday strips, etc or just extend the comic so he doesn't run through his planned content.

Things like this, the author has a lot of things planned out...Heck he may have the end planned, but he has no intention of ending it right now, so he's constantly buffering anytime he can. It's like Peanuts the comic...If they got on a story and there was a random chance to have Snoopy in there doing something, they'd take it. If the popularity isn't waning, filler strips always get put in to make sure the artist has plenty of time to come up with new story arcs and not get writer's block.

On the other hand, I do agree she has felt a bit mary-sue-ish in the past. But I agree with the idea that she still isn't one. She just appears that way. It's kind of Tat's style. The Devil at the beginning almost could have felt Marty-sueish with his always winning over Slick if you'd wanted to see it that way. Granted he shortly got plenty of abuse from God, etc. The same goes for Jesus, Buddha, and others though. They always seem to come out ahead. But his writing style is that certain characters will be straightforward and flat sometimes, especially at first introduction. Then he enjoys peeling back the facade. Glossy and her posse just happen to have the "bad-ass biker" cliche applied, so he purposely downplayed emotion with them. I don't think he thought about how that would affect so many people to believe they were written in as Mary-Sue types who were changing the comic. As much as he was just entering farther into a story and a new style that involved more storytelling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do we have to use the term mary sue when you could just say poorly-written character omfg i am so fucking done

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't interacted in like forever it seems and this is what goes down? Ugh, I was almost expecting some character progression on slick's part... :/
Vancore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slicks sexual interests just need to Move On to some other girl, and not to those live video sex chat rooms he's been visiting either cause that's an emotional wreck waiting to happen. Nique just isn't interested, but its nice knowing she does care for him, she saved that heart once... but I can't find the comic right now. I gotta say they were pretty good friends before the sisterhood arc started up, but war is war and that friendship may have been a causality of it... or at least its a major regression for both char's. I guess they are still friends, but their interests have changed... or at least her interests have for the most part.

Not sure if we'll ever see Glossy as a 'HUMONGOUS DORK', she's way too Super Cereal for her own good and her Badass card might be revoked.

Actually, I'd like to see Slick find a woman who Is interested in him... again and see hell freeze over... again.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love it if Slick just moved on. He's already acknowledged that Nique is Too Good For Him (tm) and that they probably won't ever get together anytime soon. Clinging onto his affection for her despite the fact she's REALLY not interested in him as anything more than a friend is just going to hurt him in the long run. And sometimes, there just isn't anything you can do. You can't be with someone you like sometimes. And that's ok. You just gotta move on. Find someone else. It'd be cool if the romantic/sexual undertones of their relationship would just be dropped if nothing's going to come of it, since after all Nique has expressed disinterest in wanting such a relationship with him, and they could just remain as really great friends.

0_0

No, I don't really think that we'll see Glossy as a literal humongous dork either, although I'd really love that. I just think that we should see her as a person with thoughts and feelings and HOBBIES, hanging out with friends and doing things she likes, like we have seen with everyone else. She can remain badass and be humanized in such ways. Although it'd be really funny if she acted like a huge dork and got the rock through the window + badass card revoked joke. That'd be great. But no, seriously. We should be shown to a softer side of her every now and then, I mean we've seen softer sides to literally every character in some way or another... so why not her, as well? But I'll wait as long as I have to in order for such a thing to happen. I'm in no hurry.

(Also - I would still like it if, plot twist, Slick and Glossy got together. I don't expect it to happen but I just really... think that it would result in really good development for the both of them... And who else is she supposed to open her heart and show the anger and pain to?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
That was a really angry sounding post and I'm rather perplexed as to what or whom that was aimed at.

...haha, sorry about that, I was in a bit of a bad mood when I wrote it - primarily because I know how people tend to blame the girl in the equation for not being attracted to them, which is simply incorrect. The frustration in my post stems from that I used to do the same thing, and I find it ridiculous how others don't actually grow out of it by the time their age reaches twenty.
All this trouble comes from generalized genderal thinking, as for these guys, a relation to a girl is either sex and interconnection, or nothing. Friendship without any sort of sexual intent does not exist in their minds, and this level of sexualism is something I find obnoxious, that is all - as human relations can and should have more to provide than that.

And I agree with the bolded text in the quote to a hundred percent. If you haven't dated anyone yet, you just probably haven't found someone of mutual interest. Don't worry, if you're lucky enough, you'll find someone you'll get connected with without having to go through the flawed system of "dating", considering that doesn't really work too well too often for 'getting to know people'.
Ambaryerno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just the Shipper in me, but I don't want to see Slick give up. If you go back through the history of the comic, there's almost been as many OUTSIDE influences screwing up Slick's chances with Monique than it's been anything Slick himself has done.

Remember that in one Sunday strip, the Devil sent Blue and Fuchsia to spend pretty much an ENTIRE DAY screwing with Monique to keep her away when God made an effort to bring her and Slick together. Or when Slick FINALLY managed to actually get a date, Squig inadvertently caused 'Nique to break it off when she misinterpreted his efforts to protect Slick. She's certainly expressed a degree of interest when he's ACTUALLY being charming rather than putting up a front or acting like frat boy.

And I agree with those who've said it rather sucks seeing that character development regress. Slick was actually starting to learn to be more respectful towards women on his own before the Sisterhood popped up. I'm not saying he was PERFECT about it, but he was showing signs of recognizing the right way to act around them
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ship it too, actually... I'm just kind of sick of the whole will they or won't they deal. I kinda think that it's been going on for way too long and it seems the answer is definitely appears to be they won't. Even if Nique was at one point interested, she clearly isn't anymore.

If they do get together eventually, I'd like it if they either date other people for a while beforehand, or they break up eventually because they realize they make much better friends. I'unno. I'd kinda like something like that to happen. I think it'd be super sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Zamorak, Intelligent conversation? That last more than a page?!? Somebody slap me!

(Don't, Don't actually slap me).

My thoughts on Glossy are simple, really. She's a douche who keeps fudging everything up.

But this is coming from a man who wants nothing more than for the Devil to get into a fistfight with everyone at once, and win. Decisively.

Oh, also, according to God, Slick and Nique are meant to be together. According to Blue and Fuschia (at the time); they aren't. (If only I was bothered finding the strip. Im sure you all remember it).
EDIT:Actually, Ambaryerno even mentioned it! So, yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'm gonna slap you anyways just because i think you're obnoxious

*slaps*

(god never actually said that he was destined to be with nique. just that there was a girl that was meant for him. it was implied that nique was meant for him, yeah, what with the whole montage of nique dressing in cute outfits and going out to go somewhere but it was never out-right said by god himself.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: