welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-08-27: Calligraphy 39
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
That ideogram looks like it has big junk hanging out in front.

命?
I'd disagree if it weren't for panel three.

I dunno, I think it's easy to see how there could be some sort of hermaphroditic elephantiasis issue going on there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a coded message for "Curly is a trannie!" Laughing
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure trannie is not the word you wanna be using.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feminist traps?

I prefer feminist reverse traps.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

yea just a little bit offensive yea
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:

yea just a little bit offensive yea

Okay before this gets any farther the original comment is snarky and insulting, therefore who gives a FUCK if tranny is insulting (when viewed in that context). The entire statement is insulting, getting hung up on a single word is going to miss the entire point. NOBODY is going to change anyone else's mind.

My point is if someone is being sophomoric and insulting DO NOT engage them, just ignore them.

As I see it, you both fail for looking at solely the word "trannie" as if it is existing in some sort of vacuum.

On a tangential side note, I hat , hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HAAAAAAAAAAAAATTEE articles that use the term "the N-word" when talking intelligently about usage of the word nigger. No softening! NO lessening the blow! It's a highly offensive word and to refer to it as "the N word", to me, is a slap in the face to anyone that was ever called a racial epithet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume trans* folks care because many of them have voiced such opinions in the past and actively continue to voice those opinions. I tend to defer to their opinion on such matters as it relates most directly to them.

This whole "do not engage" bullshit doesn't actually help anything either. I fucking lived that life, I never confronted people and nothing changed for years. Hell, some of it is immortalized on this forum (or rather, this forum's predecessor, probably). Things didn't start changing until I started asking for changes.

If you want change, you have to ask for change. Getting butthurt when people ask for a reasonable change makes you sound like an asshole.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I assume trans* folks care because many of them have voiced such opinions in the past and actively continue to voice those opinions. I tend to defer to their opinion on such matters as it relates most directly to them.

This whole "do not engage" bullshit doesn't actually help anything either. I fucking lived that life, I never confronted people and nothing changed for years. Hell, some of it is immortalized on this forum (or rather, this forum's predecessor, probably). Things didn't start changing until I started asking for changes.

If you want change, you have to ask for change. Getting butthurt when people ask for a reasonable change makes you sound like an asshole.

My point is that if someone's being an idiot don't waste pixels trying to educate them. Then again I might be being overly cynical because I'm kinda tired and sore and have to wait almost another hour before I'm going to be feeling any kind of relief.

And this is Sinfest forums damnit, not Bob Ross's Cozy Summer Campfire Sing-a-long. If someone says something stupid they need a good sound verbal smackdown .
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might point out/laugh at/complain about the stupid but I'm not going to lambast anyone unless they clearly have hostile intent.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
My point is that if someone's being an idiot don't waste pixels trying to educate them. Then again I might be being overly cynical because I'm kinda tired and sore and have to wait almost another hour before I'm going to be feeling any kind of relief.

And this is Sinfest forums damnit, not Bob Ross's Cozy Summer Campfire Sing-a-long. If someone says something stupid they need a good sound verbal smackdown .

You make a fair point about 'at what point is it not worth trying'. Actually something I've been struggling with, because where do you ultimately draw the line? Who is worth trying to help and who isn't? I still don't know the answer (and I keep getting it wrong!)

Also is this when someone swoops in to say only -some- of us are assholes? I've been seeing a trend.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY THIRD ONE OF YOU IS AN ASSHOLE ON TUESDAYS AS LONG AS THE MOON IS WAXING
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moon only waxes because of the patriarchy. Sad Be free, moon! Let that moon fur grow!
iskandar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The moon only waxes because of the patriarchy. Sad Be free, moon! Let that moon fur grow!

the moon recently had laser hair removal, it can't anymore. also, the moon fur comment made me curious as to whether there was any art about a furry moon. Lets just say this: furry moon does not result in a hairy moon and that's the last time I ever need to see a man in a fox costume flashing his naked hairy ass at a camera.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether to be pleased or displeased that, search though I did, I could not immediately find that picture.

Though honestly I think I'd take the flashing of the naked hairy ass at the camera without the fox costume anyway.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you went looking for moon fur and ended up with a furry moon? Just what it says on the tin!

Anyway, I engage idiots all the time. Not for them, but for everyone around them. It's part of establishing what's appropriate. Challenging a bigot may not change the bigot, but it might give someone who never thought about what they say pause the next time they speak. We don't exist in a vacuum, and if we want people to be thoughtful we have to hold them to that standard, even if only to serve as a cautionary tale to others. It's not perfect, but staying quiet serves no purpose.

Except with trolls. You should ignore them because their power is directly equivalent to how many people they're arguing with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: