welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enough Ponies Already
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Intervention



Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Since your only contributions so far has been to denigrate, we don't like you.


Okay, fine. I'm okay with that. If that's the way you want to run the community, I'll just let you get back to that.

Really, I have been reading since maybe 2004. And had always considered joining the forums just so I could talk about the comic. I didn't expect such an overly hostile response to stating that maybe troll threads would die if you just ignored them, but if that's the tone you want to set for the community, I'm perfectly fine with just keeping my mouth shut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iskandar



Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 159
Location: Boston, Massachussets

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intervention wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Since your only contributions so far has been to denigrate, we don't like you.


Okay, fine. I'm okay with that. If that's the way you want to run the community, I'll just let you get back to that.


Intervention, little hint: best way to have an unpopular opinion on a forum is to roll with the punches instead of screaming out "injustice". Disagree with people in a slightly more fun way than just "you're wrong and rude". Oh dear God in heaven I'm agreeing with shadowcell.

also, if we're posting photos too, here's one of my favorites, its from the romanian revolution of 1989 and yes, those are cookies.


_________________
Marriage begins with a man on his knees giving a woman jewelry and asking for permission to do something. Pretty much sets the tone for the next 40 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh....

nah

I don't dig it.

I'll just go make an illustrative art thread, then.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iskandar



Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 159
Location: Boston, Massachussets

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
eh....

nah

I don't dig it.

I'll just go make an illustrative art thread, then.


how about we keep this as the illustrative art thread and the next time someone posts something like this we make that the photo thread?
_________________
Marriage begins with a man on his knees giving a woman jewelry and asking for permission to do something. Pretty much sets the tone for the next 40 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10888
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intervention wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Since your only contributions so far has been to denigrate, we don't like you.


Okay, fine. I'm okay with that. If that's the way you want to run the community, I'll just let you get back to that.

Really, I have been reading since maybe 2004. And had always considered joining the forums just so I could talk about the comic. I didn't expect such an overly hostile response to stating that maybe troll threads would die if you just ignored them, but if that's the tone you want to set for the community, I'm perfectly fine with just keeping my mouth shut.

Reading the comic, or reading the forum? Because I've been registered on the forums since 2001, and they've pretty much always been just like they are now. So we're not "setting the tone" ... that's just our tone.

Plus, threads are free. Who gives a fuck what happens to them? If someone feels like taking an otherwise useless thread and filling it with paintings of landscapes they can have at it. You'll notice it doesn't happen in most threads, just generally useless ones. Like cool graffiti in a shitty neighborhood. Or planting flowers in a highway median. HR is our guerrilla landscaper.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
butts


Last edited by Heretical Rants on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
psuliin



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a little trade secret...

I haven't replied on the other thread because I didn't need to. I let Ishida-san know that he was losing a reader, and why, and that was my whole message. What he does with the information is entirely up to him, but I couldn't expect him to do anything at all with it unless I gave it to him, so there it was. I didn't feel a need to "defend" my post because I was conveying factual information, and facts don't need defense.

As the thread evolved it acquired a sort of fascination. I started wondering just how many pages could be filled up with pictures of ponies and repetitions of "dudebro" rather than actually addressing the topic. Then as the page count climbed I started wondering how many it would take before the actual point of the original post had been sufficiently avoided that it no longer posed a threat (the idea that it didn't pose a threat looked pretty silly by page 5 or so).

I'm still hopeful that Ishida-san will get the message. Past experience suggests that he's more thoughtful than many of his readers. But seriously folks, you might take a look at 9 (or is it 10 now?) pages of people with their fingers in their ears singing "pony pony pony" and ask yourselves what you're trying so hard to avoid hearing.


Last edited by psuliin on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6109
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except it evidently wasn't factual information because you're still here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iskandar



Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 159
Location: Boston, Massachussets

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psuliin wrote:
OK, a little trade secret...

I haven't replied on the other thread because I didn't need to. I let Ishida-san know that he was losing a reader, and why, and that was my whole message. What he does with the information is entirely up to him, but I couldn't expect him to do anything at all with it unless I gave it to, so there it was. I didn't feel a need to "defend" my post because I conveying factual information, and facts don't need defense.

As the thread evolved it acquired a sort of fascination. I started wondering just how many pages could be filled up with pictures of ponies and repetitions of "dudebro" rather than actually addressing the topic. Then as the page count climbed I started wondering how many it would take before the actual point of the original post had been sufficiently avoided that it no longer posed a threat (the idea that it didn't pose a threat looked pretty silly by page 5 or so).

I'm still hopeful that Ishida-san will get the message. Past experience suggests that he's more thoughtful than many of his readers. But seriously folks, you might take a look at 9 (or is it 10 now?) pages of people with their fingers in their ears singing "pony pony pony" and ask yourself what you're trying so hard to avoid hearing.


Oh for fuck's sake just take the fucking questionnaire and let us have our ponies/twisted fiction of ponies going mad and murdering everyone.
_________________
Marriage begins with a man on his knees giving a woman jewelry and asking for permission to do something. Pretty much sets the tone for the next 40 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
psuliin



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, the information was factual: I've stopped reading the strip, and explained why. But yes, I'm still here. Train wreck, you know. Just can't look away.

And besides...ponies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psuliin wrote:
(the idea that it didn't pose a threat looked pretty silly by page 5 or so)


hahaha by that standard THIS thread poses a significant threat, too


Quote:
Train wreck, you know. Just can't look away.

No, this is clearly a shipwreck, silly
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6109
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psuliin wrote:
Oh, no, the information was factual: I've stopped reading the strip, and explained why. But yes, I'm still here. Train wreck, you know. Just can't look away.

And besides...ponies.


ah, but see, you continue to support his website and his comic by being part of the internet traffic that justifies the ads that pays for it

if you really didn't like the comic anymore you'd stop doing that, since if enough people do, maybe that will convince him to change the comic

or, more likely, he won't give a fuck either way, because he's never given a fuck what his viewers have had to say in the past and there's no reason to think that's going to change anytime soon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
psuliin



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hahaha by that standard THIS thread poses a significant threat, too


Yes, the first one was so scary that it spawned new threads to deal with it. I'm impressed, truly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread's sole purpose was originally to make fun of you, and perhaps me to an extent

not because you're scary or because my pony spam was scary, but because you're ridiculous, and my reaction to you was ridiculous

On that note, have some galloping galions.

_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6560

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat pretty much told you what he thinks of your opinion here and here.

To pretend like you are doing anything more than stirring trouble is pretty silly.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group