welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-09-02: Devil Girl Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridcube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes oh well, sinfest is starting to make no sense at all.

I mean sure empowering and all that feminist shit is alright, but the first people in the world to be chauvinist bastards are women, denying that is living in a world of fantasy, and thats exactly what this comic strip is so that right okay?, because you know in the real world we should all be good to each other and wars should not happen and people should never take drugs okay? drugs are bad okay?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of not making any sense...
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2012-09-02: Devil Girl Training Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:
You'd think, by now, Big D would've run out of Devil Girls to employ.

IIRC (don't have the relevant previously compiled data in front of me, I'd have to dig it up), over twenty Devil Girls have been depicted over the years, most of them Devil Club employees or patrons.

Something I think might be interesting is for Tat to do a strip similar to today's only with the Devil Girl designated Mint, about whom we know almost nothing, certainly nowhere near as much as we know about Lime. Living quarters, possessions, computer contents, everything about her could be a surprise.
Vancore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey its Gully! Very Happy

Eh, she doesn't really need a name, just one the forums can agree on like Guy. Glossy still doesn't have a proper name, last person Tat named was probably Legion. Since then we have how many unnamed ones? Grandma, Glossy, Guy (All maybe related) Lapis, Fern/Harl/Green/Lime, Curly, Fan boy and Fan girl. He did name that book though.

Ronald wrote:
I suppose the implication is that The Devil might have originally "recruited" Fuchsia and Baby Blue in an identical matter, but we don't know that yet.

Blue was there from the start, probably the first devilgirl. And based on her reactions to when fushia asked what she liked about her job and glossy's statement that she too could be saved I'd say she's pretty much Big D's number 2. The agenda of Devilcorp and Hell st could defiantly live on in her hands if need be, the patriarchy, not so much.
joandark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

I like button your comment.
fanboy2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

I like button your comment.

I double like button the comment!! Made me laugh out! ( In office of all the places!!).
iskandar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

he does have a bit of a point, the first people to start making slut comments as well as enforcing gender roles tend to be women. Its a classic example of crabs in a bucket mentality. If two crabs are in a bucket, you don't need to watch over them because they'll pull each other back in. You can see the same thing in a lot of african american culture, where highly educated people or kids are accused of "acting white", or notice how there was more than a small undercurrent of anger against sally ride when the news that she was gay become public after she died and many in the gay community were pissed because she did not go public with it. In almost any situation where a group of people is disadvantaged, there is an enormously strong tendency to keep people from trying to break the mold, mostly out of that "if I can't have it they can't either" mentality that humanity is so strong cursed with as well as a general strong pride in persevering despite the disadvantages leading to people seeing those being different as "disrespecting" the group or "feeling that they are better than everyone else".
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, blaming the victim, the national pastime

of course, at this juncture you might wonder where these attitudes and gender roles came from...
iskandar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
ah, blaming the victim, the national pastime

of course, at this juncture you might wonder where these attitudes and gender roles came from...

not arguing that at all, but once those attitudes and roles are imposed on any groups, they tend to be absorbed into the community. For example: my family is of Ukranian origin on my father's side. My father immigrated here when he was a baby, but my grandparents lived through that and I remember the stories they told me about village life under the tsar. Basically, anyone who tried to become more than a farmer was really harshly treated, one of my grandfather's cousins was even murdered by his family because he decided to leave for the city and apparently that would "bring shame" to the family. Its blaming the victim to say that they brought the attitudes and gender roles on themselves. Its not blaming the victim to comment on them enforcing the rules upon themselves. No matter what group, no matter what society, people for the most part just don't like seeing people like them succeed more than themselves, because it makes them less worthy. It may differ in strength but no group escapes this.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, assuming this is true, saying "the first people in the world to be chauvinist bastards are women," would clearly be false, right? If it's common to every group, one does have to ask why gridcube singled out women...
iskandar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
So, assuming this is true, saying "the first people in the world to be chauvinist bastards are women," would clearly be false, right? If it's common to every group, one does have to ask why gridcube singled out women...

because, I don't know, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FEMINISM. If it was racism we would be bringing up those goddamn backstabbing Belarussians and if it was classism it would be chiminey sweepers. Its just being relevant.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABANDON THREAD

Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god anti-logic and victim blaming.

Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
Dogen wrote:

because, I don't know, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FEMINISM. If it was racism we would be bringing up those goddamn backstabbing Belarussians and if it was classism it would be chiminey sweepers. Its just being relevant.

So it's okay to make logically false statements as long as they're topical?

The presumption made in the line I quoted is that women are somehow different (in fact, that they're "first," or most likely or quickest, however you want to interpret that). But what you're saying is they're not different at all. If he/she had said, "Women can be chauvinist, too," I'd have simply rolled my eyes (it's pointless, along the lines of, "water is wet"). He/she seemed to be saying women were somehow unique in their ability to be chauvinistic, or their willingness to express it. You're saying the opposite, that chauvinism for the cause of enforcing certain social standards is universal.
iskandar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
iskandar wrote:
Dogen wrote:

So it's okay to make logically false statements as long as they're topical?

The presumption made in the line I quoted is that women are somehow different (in fact, that they're "first," or most likely or quickest, however you want to interpret that). But what you're saying is they're not different at all. If he/she had said, "Women can be chauvinist, too," I'd have simply rolled my eyes (it's pointless, along the lines of, "water is wet"). He/she seemed to be saying women were somehow unique in their ability to be chauvinistic, or their willingness to express it. You're saying the opposite, that chauvinism for the cause of enforcing certain social standards is universal.

I believe in this case he was using chauvinism in its more popularly known definition of "male sexism" rather than the more accurate definition of unreasoning, fanatical support for a cause. What he was saying was that, in the case of gender roles, women are often the first to enforce them on other women, through deeds and words. Which fits into what I was saying that this tendency to enforce the imposed limitations placed on your group is universal. Women enforce them on other women, ukranians on other ukranians, and chimney sweepers on other chimney sweepers, ect. The tendency is universal, but when it comes to gender roles pertaining to women, other women tend to be the first ones into the fight with the "slut" comments or other stuff. I think it was more a case here of a conflict between the popular and more accurate definitions of a word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: