welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sept. 5th: Don't you ever change.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is Dogen's fault?

That bitch. I want to punch him in the face.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iskandar:
I was not. I was not trying to say one man is equal to another man. In fact, that's not even a coherent statement based on my worldview.

B) What Dogen thought Ember778 meant by using it.

Secondary objectives involved Ember778 and Dogen coming to a greater understanding of what the other thought the word implied. I don't think they were achieved.

I will also state (for the third or forth time) that I am sorry that this stupid unimportant tangent went on for so long. I was perfectly willing to let the matter drop here, but it seems as if the forum at large was generally unwilling to let the mere questioning of Dogen to go by unchallenged. On a side note, this has--at least--lead me to the belief that I have identified the forum's Ent.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
On a side note, this has--at least--lead me to the belief that I have identified the forum's Ent.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA. Dude, if the "Ents" were a militaristic organization, Dogen would only be a Captain or maybe a Colonel. Sure he has the potential to be a higher rank, but I don't think he has the true ambition.

Who's a higher rank you ask?

Hmmm, I wonder . . .

BTW it's definitely not me, I'm out on a 262 . . . err I mean ahh yeah if it doesn't kill the plant it's a fruit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not you. The forum denounced you when you professed your dissatisfaction with me, an eccentric outsider.

Anyway, my use of generalized forum dweller labels is meant to be glib. Clearly, no terms on that list perfectly describe anyone. To be glib again--don't worry--I think of each of you as a perfect, unique snowflake.
(just some of you fit better into certain pre-described categories than others)

Edit:
Also, the kind of group you're describing sounds more like Royals than Ents. Not that the two are dissimilar.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not that important around here. I kind of like the idea that I'm a tree, though. Mostly, the forum reacts to ridiculousness. The avenue of your questioning (specifically my "disbelief over the ease in which people use the word 'hate'") was mildly ridiculous (because no one disbelieved the word could be used in a variety of benign contexts [I myself have used it in 143 posts! ... 145 now, maybe?]). That's why you got a reaction - the answer to your question seemed kind of obvious (people who seem hateful are believed when they use the word against those they speak out against, and in all other contexts it carries a different meaning). Also, you have to admit the whole affair was pretty pedantic, and pedantry goes over like a lead balloon.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:

Edit:
Also, the kind of group you're describing sounds more like Royals than Ents. Not that the two are dissimilar.

Um no, I was just implying that not all ents are equal. There's people on this board who are tigers where Dogen would be more of a lynx or maybe even a cheetah.

BTW a 262 is the U.S. military discharge code for bed wetting, implying that I'm not part of the militaristic metaphor I was using. I figured you would either know the term or look it up on google if you didn't, but I guess I was wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I figured you would either know the term or look it up on google if you didn't, but I guess I was wrong.
I did looked it up on google, and then looked up the phase "I'm out on a 262" to see if context would help. All I got that seemed to fit was that it was the area code for Wisconsin. I assumed it was some regional inside joke I didn't get and moved on. (also, compare 262 and 263 in your own link and decide which number would have conveyed your meaning better.)
Dogen wrote:
Also, you have to admit the whole affair was pretty pedantic, and pedantry goes over like a lead balloon.
I don't have to admit it; I have admitted it, 6 times already.

(look, I'm both admitting I'm being pedantic AND being pedantic, again. I'm going to unfairly blame the medication)

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
There's people on this board who are tigers where Dogen would be more of a lynx or maybe even a cheetah.

i've always seen him as more of a margay, myself.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*z-snap* Oh no you didn't!

... *reads about them*
Quote:
Most notably the margay is a much more skillful climber than its relative, and it is sometimes called the tree ocelot because of this ability.

Skillful... loving it...

Quote:
Indeed, it is one of only two cat species[4] with the ankle flexibility necessary to climb head-first down trees (the other being the clouded leopard).

Unique... loving it...

Quote:
There has been one report of a margay using auditory mimicry to try to lure one of its prey. A margay was observed to imitate the call of a pied tamarin infant while in the presence of a group of adult tamarins, leading the adults to investigate. While the margay was not successful in catching one of the monkeys, this represents the first observation of a Neotropical predator employing this type of mimicry.

Even more unique! ... loving it...

Quote:
Copulation lasts up to sixty seconds, and is similar to that in domestic cats; it takes place primarily in the trees, and occurs several times while the female is in heat.

Nailed it! Yep, that's me. The only way it could be more me is if the male lived with the female for six years and then the female moved to a different rainforest.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, it was because i can visualize this:
Quote:
The margay has been observed to hang from branches with only one foot.

i am certain you are capable of this. intentionally or not.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear there's plenty of cats in the tree . . .
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
And this went on for 9 pages.

I think the very start of the conversation was a little off, because "hate" has so many meanings in different contexts, so it's very hard to compare two people saying they "hate" things, especially when one is using an example for one person in which they didn't even use the word.

But once it got going, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm pretty glad they pushed through the fumblingawkwardness and reached a mutually satisfactory conclusion. Very entertaining to watch. Four stars out of five.

Kudos to Lich Mong for not letting the peanut gallery derail him, and Kudos to Dogen for remaining patient with the stilted language of the dialogue. I think I would've snapped from either position after two or three replies.

I think Usagi would be the Ent, though. It's been a year since his last post, and he also has root-absorbed-from-the-bones-of-the-earth wisdom/gravitas, and not as tempered with playfulness as Dogen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: