welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sept. 5th: Don't you ever change.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xalca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for assuming I am just jumping in. I make (made in this case, cause...y'know I already read the whole thread) a point of reading the whole thread before chiming in.

And if you read both of those posts you quoted one is exasperation at people not following a format that is fairly simple to grasp and even easier to replicate; while the other is unabashed malice leveled at a group of people (not their ideals, the people themselves).

So, again, I'm not sure if you are just trying to create contention or are honestly confused.

Edit: Dougen also goes out of their way to soften the blow *rimshot* with the last line. It drips sarcasm.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just one of the new misogyny mob, they all joined in over the summer to whine about the feminism arc because apparently it makes their delicate little testes ache to think about issues that don't directly affect the cock.

This was his first real post beyond his ironic newbie waystation post. Cantcha just feel the butthurt? Holy shit this comic doesn't pander to ME right this moment!! TO THE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN!!!
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Xalca, I don't really feel like debating with you about weither or not you've read "whole thread," something I've not even done myself (I only glanced at page 1).
I will just state--as a matter of opinion--that were I both a feminist and the person that originally made the thread Dogen was talking about, I would have found Dogen's statement more psychologically damaging than Ember778's. I found Dogen's more in-depth and thoughtful in its intent to demoralize and found Ember778's vapid at best and foolish at worst.
You are-- of course-- free to disagree.

Regardless, it does not have any bearing on my current line of inquiry. Or, if it does, I don't see it.

@Monkey Mcdermott
Lich Mong wrote:
Well, if enough people complain and change stores and all that. But, I do know what you're saying, ShadowCell.

Again, I think people just feel like getting something off their chest. I mean, my big huge rant I first posted when I came here I also sent to Tat in an email. Really, posting it on the forums was superfluous; however, I knew Tat was not going to explain to me why I was wrong. Thus, I would have no chance to rebuttal whatever eye-rolling was going on his head as he read it. So, I posted it here in hopes some of you would be likeminded to Tat, but more vocal in explaining why I was mistaken.

I can't say I was disappointed in that endeavor.

Anyway,
If you, Monkey Mcdermott, have any specific problem with the post in question I would be happy to go over with it with you. However, I am fairly convinced at this point you are unable to sustain an actual intelligent conversation with anyone. But, I've been wrong before.

Surprise me.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't waste my breath* on people I hate brah.

Twisted Evil

*keystrokes? finger twitches? Dunno..whatever
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well, you are--if nothing else--constant. One would expect that should count for something.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seriously question whether or not obtuse word-parsing and deliberately missing the point in order to draw things out even further and feign intelligence actually qualifies as "intelligent discussion" in the first place
Xalca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now the crossroads we're at is a split between willful obstinance and an inability to differentiate exasperation and hatred (which has been amended to dislike, but that wasn't what caused the initial confusion).

If it's the former then this is futile. If it's the latter I am unsure how to explain how to differentiate the two.

To this end I ask in all seriousness, Lich Mong, is english your first/primary language?
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ShadowCell: Is that directed at me? I don't remember making any of those claims. I assure you, I'm the first to admit my own stupidity.

Additionally, I already apologized(twice) for dragging out this little tangent. And I fear we are only making it worse by talking about it.
Xalca wrote:
To this end I ask in all seriousness, Lich Mong, is english your first/primary language?
Yes, but my phonics ability tests at the 3rd grade level. So, I would guess it seems otherwise most of the time.
Which makes me wonder how ShadowCell would expect me to believe the MORE I type the smarter I would sound. Clearly, the inverse is true.

I know that and he knows that, 'cuz I already told him about my issue.

Last edited by Lich Mong on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Ember778

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

The webcomic I was talking about was this one by the way. I just don't really care for the feminism arc. He turned Slick into a guttural person and Nique into a feminist. I miss the Sinfest where it's Slick the sorta loser hitting on a strong female (but not feminist).

ah. so the webcomic continues just fine, it's just that you are hyperfocused on anything you perceive as 'feminist'. 'nique had always had revolutionary leanings, being a feminist goes right along with her whole history. but you can't stand that it is stated explicitly.

and of course, the course the strip has taken is determined by one person and one person only: tat. so because he now seems to be a feminist, you hate (or just dislike, how very kind of you) everyone of any stripe who identifies as a feminist? yeah, that's a balanced response.

and since it's a written strip, we really can't tell if slick's voice is guttural, or nasal, or a rather pleasing light tenor, let alone whether or not it has changed.

No I merely dislike those I identify as feminists. And you know exactly what I meant when I said guttural, you're just trolling.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
mouse wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

The webcomic I was talking about was this one by the way. I just don't really care for the feminism arc. He turned Slick into a guttural person and Nique into a feminist. I miss the Sinfest where it's Slick the sorta loser hitting on a strong female (but not feminist).

ah. so the webcomic continues just fine, it's just that you are hyperfocused on anything you perceive as 'feminist'. 'nique had always had revolutionary leanings, being a feminist goes right along with her whole history. but you can't stand that it is stated explicitly.

and of course, the course the strip has taken is determined by one person and one person only: tat. so because he now seems to be a feminist, you hate (or just dislike, how very kind of you) everyone of any stripe who identifies as a feminist? yeah, that's a balanced response.

and since it's a written strip, we really can't tell if slick's voice is guttural, or nasal, or a rather pleasing light tenor, let alone whether or not it has changed.

No I merely dislike those I identify as feminists, they're like the damned jews. And you know exactly what I meant when I said guttural, you're just trolling.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when you go out and have a life? The internet leaves you behind! But I really needed to get that drysack... and drink those beers... and eat lunch with people. Okay, those last two probably aren't needs.

Lich Mong wrote:
I'm not trying to say you hate anyone. I am trying to find out what you mean by the word, and why you feel Ember778 shared your meaning of it.

Let's be clear. More often than not I'm using the denotative meaning of a word. Occasionally I'll use a connotative meaning, but as with most people, it's less common (which is why we have the definition to begin with, so people know what we mean when we use a word). So if you ever have this question again, you have my permission to assume I'm using the actual definition of the word you'd find in the dictionary, and ask me questions starting from that point.

Quote:
When pressed, you explained that did not mean you "hated" anyone. This caused me to become confused by what you meant by the word "hate." I asked you to explain what you did mean and why you feel that Ember778 shared that meaning in his statement.
You've yet to do that satisfactorily, only that Ember778 enjoys hyperbole slightly more than yourself.

I wasn't (and am not) certain Ember was being hyperbolic. Which, in this instance, means that with the word "hatred" I put more weight on the use of the word the more closely it seems one hews to the literal definition of the word. Which is why I cited his previous posts as context for why I believed his use of the word was accurate and mildly alarming. I don't know how deeply he dislikes feminists, but the context that is his history of posts here on the forum suggests to me that it hews close enough to the denotative meaning to warrant a comment from me - whatever that's worth.

That my post was more forceful should be tempered by any understanding you have of me as an individual - no post is made in a vacuum, after all. Hannibal Lecter, at the end of Silence of the Lambs, saying, "I'm having an old friend for dinner," is more ominous than Clarice shouting and waving a gun at Buffalo Bill, because we understand the subtleties of what he means as being more malicious, despite the lack of emphatic inflection.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I don't know if Tat meant to hint at the fans of this comic who aren't liking the feminist story arc, but if he did what a freakin' BRILLIANT stroke! XD Tat, you really do still have it. You can honestly just switch it off and on. Still funny on so many levels after all these years. :3
Ember778

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
mouse wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

No I merely dislike those I identify as feminists, they're like the damned jews. And you know exactly what I meant when I said guttural, you're just trolling.

Man you call out the Jews once and you never forget it.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you dangle that out there and don't expect to get it used? Cmon man..
Ember778

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
What you dangle that out there and don't expect to get it used? Cmon man..

No someone misquoted me. They changed my text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: