welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pathfinder - Dungeons and Dragons Free.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pathfinder - Dungeons and Dragons Free.0 Reply with quote

Thread for Pathfinder discussions, created per Yinello's suggestion.

What is Pathfinder? This! Slightly longer: It's an updated version of D&D, but with everything free to use if you don't want to buy the books (or just find the online resources handy).

Much longer? Dungeons and Dragons has been through a number of different editions (currently in its fourth and about to enter fifth). Each edition has been a major revision to the core rules of the game. Predictably, this hasn't always gone over smoothly. The start of third edition (after the acquisiition of the property by Wizards of the Coast) was quite rocky, but helped by the release of the Open Gaming License (OGL). This made large portions of the core rules free for anyone to use and profit from, allowing masses of third party publishers to release their own suppliments, or different games based on the core mechanics. Fantastic! Then edition 3.5 rolled out, to mostly positive reception (because it was primarily just fixes to problems in 3.0e). Then... fourth edition hit, which resulted in a massively fractured fanbase. Important here is that 4e, now being ultimately a Hasbro property, did not fall under the OGL, and that no new 3.0/3.5 material was being printed. Paizo stepped in and created a new edition, Pathfinder. This was again mostly "bug fixes," or a collection of house rules turned into a proper system. Also, it's still being actively updated, and is free and readily available online!

What does it do well? Well, most of the things there were to like about 3.5 edition D&D are still around, or coming around with the massive splat support Paizo is delivering, and some of the problems are fixed (skills have been consolidated, the system adds rewards to staying with one class instead of penalizing multiclassing, the classes in need of the most love got it, and so on). Artwork has a cool aesthetic, and there are a ton of great modules (Paizo were the ones who did Dungeon magazine, after all).

What does it do poorly? At the high end, it still has a lot of the problems experienced by 3.0/3.5 (if you're trying to break the game... most of the loopholes haven't been closed. see: Dust of Sneezing and Choking, chain-Gating). It streamlined things, but some people are still turned off by the complexity or how things like combat can drag on a bit (not the most complex system, but certainly not the simplest). The developers... well, theyr'e the biggest problem a lot of people have with the system - they put out a good product, but then their clarifications, errata, and PR incompetence leave a lot of people very angry. Sort of like mixing George Lucas and Orson Scott Card. The kerfluffles over their PR snafus especially, yeesh.

Honestly I think it's fantastic. This is my favorite forum for discussing the system. If you've played 3.0/3.5, this is a good guide to what changed (some of it is non-obvious, like the changes to cross-classed skills). I've spent far too much time thinking about it, as my wife can attest to (hey, I've been DM'ing a PF campaign for quite awhile, now).
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an official offer to DM a forum game?

Today has kind of sucked for me so I may take some time to de-stress and make up a cool pathfinder character. It'd be neat if I could actually play her.
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urgh... I'm tempted, but between work, newlywed life, and managing one campaign already, my time is tight. I'm conflicted, is what I'm saying.

If I ran one, it'd be a premade adventure (I've got one in mind), but if anyone else is interested in DM'ing?

Regardless, I'll strongly recommend dndsheets.net or a similar resource for handling character sheets for an online game.

Edited for not double-checking my links

Last edited by CTrees on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend pathfinder as the best default tabletop right now; D&D 4 is better if you have someone with the expertise necessary to use CBLoader to hack the legacy character builder and make an up-to-date character builder database on the old offline program. But even that is starting to lose its appeal with the post-essentials bloat, so..

hey! pathfinder! still 3.x style broken in some ways, but it's THERE and it's FREE so no biggie.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Regardless, I'll strongly recommend dndsheets.com or a similar resource for handling character sheets for an online game.

I think you mean dndsheets.net? I can't figure out how it works though. *sigh*

I'm down with a canned game, I really don't mind that kind of thing. And lets be totally honest here, nobody wants me in charge of DMing. I don't know the rules well enough and when in doubt I'm more prone to making things up than is probably okay.
Sudoku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could just turn this thread into the 'central' part of DMing games in the forums, post up character sheets, ideas, voting, discussions and such sort of things here. Then, launch and play the games in a separate thread. :3

I'm usually more productive with storytelling-driven games, where the players write out their reactions and such, since I'm not as proficient when it comes to numbers and dice. Still willing to play though. c:
Because the wolves gonna want a taste.
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
I recommend pathfinder as the best default tabletop right now; D&D 4 is better if you have someone with the expertise necessary to use CBLoader to hack the legacy character builder and make an up-to-date character builder database on the old offline program. But even that is starting to lose its appeal with the post-essentials bloat, so..

4E is a little tougher to do play-by-post, and there are a lot of things which bug a lot of people (skill challenges, lack of the wealth of out-of-combat magic, etc.). I'm willing to admit there are a lot of things to love about both underlying systems, and I think everyone should save their bile for the 5th Edition release (I refuse to call it "D&D Next," just like I refuse to call the iPad 3 "the New iPad").

Quote:
hey! pathfinder! still 3.x style broken in some ways, but it's THERE and it's FREE so no biggie.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Also, there's at least less stuff to fix, and if you're not in a high-op game, it's not all that bad.

Also, right you are about that link, Samsally, thanks.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay, I'm starting to figure out dndsheets.net.

Wheeeeee.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been entertaining the idea of being a DM.

Pros: I apparantly can think of interesting stories and NPCs.
I love trying out a new challenge.

Cons: I've never DMed before (but I have watched our DM constantly).
I'm a newb in Pathfinder.
I will need help.
For the coming two weeks I can't because it's superbusy at my work.

No need to decide now, we can just absorb ourselves in the world of Pathfinder first.
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been DM'ing a Pathfinder campaign for a little over a year now, using The Tangled Web (link) as the forums where we initially LFG'd, and now maintain our game (our forum). It's a great place to meet up both for Virtual Tabletop and for Play-by-Post gaming.

Pathfinder as a gaming system is as good as D&D 3/3.5, which is no coincidence, and the free online reference of the SRD really helps, but something to be aware of is that the SRD contains very, very little reference material for setting and background if you're not developing your campaign setting from scratch. If you want to use the Paizo-created Golarion world and setting, or any of the additional content developed for it (such as in the Pathfinder Companion books, where unique attributes of different peoples and tribes are given, and volumes of material about the lands from which they hail), you won't find it in the SRD.
Mini J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing and able to play by post; my work schedule basically is going to be Friday to Monday, 10 hours each day, which understandably pretty much eliminates real pen-and-paper gaming; not many people are down for a 6 hour session on a wednesday.

I haven't played pathfinder, but D&D 3.5 is my bread and butter. I've DMed before, which taught me that holy smokes, DMing is hard work. So I'll happily be a player this time around.

I want to be a half-dragon/half-tiefling mutliclass ranger/druid/paladin who is permanently affected by a shrink spell so is Tiny. Oh, and he has wings too.

(I kid, but I'll never forget how my first time DMing someone came in with something like that...)
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: freedom is a rare thing to find. Reply with quote

I still miss the beautifully unbalanced 2nd edition DnD. I miss the chaos.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played anything but 3.5. Two groups and campaigns later, I have some hilarious memories.

I think it's useful to determine how many people want to play, how often people can play and how often we want to have a session online (I'm aware that there's still tons of figuring stuff out to do). My RL friends and I D&D every Tuesday evening but in return our GM doesn't have to invent a good plot, just a good dungeon.

Also how flexible is Pathfinder? Are there strict campaign rules or can we just adjust to whatever story we're following?
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also how flexible is Pathfinder? Are there strict campaign rules or can we just adjust to whatever story we're following?
Pathfinder is still D&D 3.5 (or if you like, d20) at heart; do what you want with the setting, it provides rules on how to determine challenge ratings of skill checks, how to resolve combat actions, and then provides a very generic D&D-like fantasy selection of items and equipment for your characters. The only time you're gonna be constrained by the content is when you choose to constrain yourself to the Adventure Paths, which are a sort of series of modules designed (a) to be balanced for the party level for which that module is designed, and (b) because they're balanced, to be a real challenge only to newbies.

It's not like Misspent Youth, where the only game mechanic is how to move the plot forward. Mind you, I highly recommend that system for groups who want to create a story from a cinematic point of view, without getting bogged down in all the details how how things are done; Misspent Youth is more concerned with who and using what personality trait, so we can exploit it for character development.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.x is supposed to be as difficult to play by post, it's just that the system's rules for combat are so janky that people just sort of handwave away the grid and spatial rules and pretend they don't exist (this exacerbates the system's tendency towards completely unhinged caster supremacy, but, eh).

Play by post kind of lost its appeal for me the second I really understood maptools, too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: