welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7 Oct 2012 - Cupid's Arrow 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ember778

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
Oh, and is this the guy who doesn't care about anyone's opinion acting all butthurt because someone doesn't like his favourite band ?

Nirvana is actually my favorite band, but I like Incubus as well.
Ember778

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
If it were bad it wouldn't be popular.

I love this part btw. I really do.

You do realize to be popular a majority of people must like their music. Just because you find something bad doesn't make it bad. If thousands and thousands of people enjoy their music what makes your opinion any more valid?

You think I deem myself better than I actually am? One might suggest you look in a mirror. You are just another random hipster. Your opinion means close to nothing.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know who you are, but no one wants you here. Go away.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling me a hipster is kind of hilarious too.

But seriously...

The commercial success of a song, particularly in the heavily managed entertainment industry is no guarantee of originality or artistic quality, it's merely commercial success. There have been a number of bands that experienced a period of strong commercial success that will be forgotten by history.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
Bart wrote:
Oh, and is this the guy who doesn't care about anyone's opinion acting all butthurt because someone doesn't like his favourite band ?

You know, I don't get why you made that post. Whether or not Incubus is actually your favourite band or just a band you like doesn't change the point of my post. Or maybe you thought people were actually interested in who your favourite band is. You'd be wrong.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
You do realize to be popular a majority of people must like their music.

This isn't true at all. A quick googling suggests Incubus has sold around 13-18 million albums worldwide. Which is a lot, but doesn't include a majority of people... or even a majority of Americans.

It would be a majority of the people in the state of New York, though.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

This isn't true at all. A quick googling suggests Incubus has sold around 13-18 million albums worldwide. Which is a lot, but doesn't include a majority of people... or even a majority of Americans.

hey man that's just like your opinion man
Ember778

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Ember778 wrote:

I didn't say the majority. I said a majority. 13 million of albums sold is enough to go platinum on every album which I would consider a majority of people. Besides what if half a million people bought their albums in Rhode Island? That would be the majority of people.

Not to mention all the people who pirated it. If you want to get all technical you do so, but you're just coming off as that guy who corrects small details.

Regardless Incubus is a popular band. A great many people enjoy their music. For you to call them bad is just one persons opinion vs the many who find them good.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't call them bad though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
Bart wrote:

You know, I don't get why you made that post. Whether or not Incubus is actually your favourite band or just a band you like doesn't change the point of my post. Or maybe you thought people were actually interested in who your favourite band is. You'd be wrong.

You said I was acting all butthurt because someone doesn't like my favorite band. I said they weren't my favorite band. That was the point of the post.

Besides I don't care if he doesn't like Incubus he's just some stupid hipster, but I owe it to them to defend against stupid hipsters.
Ember778

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
I didn't call them bad though.

You implied it pretty strongly.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Right...so like the elevator music version of screamo music.

Yknow...all looking like a 40 year old amateur light jazz band assembled by those going through a mid life crisis in their videos. Singin lyrics designed to resonate with the angsty suburban youth. Lyrics all the same populist subject matter bands have been singing since the 60's tweaked to make their tweener fans think they're expressing something deep and profound.

I know its only a few pages back but here's exactly what I said. Now if you can't counter that with more than "yeah well lots of people like them" well you aren't exactly countering what I said. I specifically pointed out that they're designed to resonate with angsty suburban youth, which would naturally make them well liked by a certain subset of people. Now....how much broad appeal would you assign to this band? How generational is their popularity? Because if your only argument is that a band specifically targeted for the angsty white suburban crowd is popular amongst the angsty white suburban crowd you'll find that it doesn't surprise me at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
Bart wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
Bart wrote:

You said I was acting all butthurt because someone doesn't like my favorite band. I said they weren't my favorite band. That was the point of the post.

Besides I don't care if he doesn't like Incubus he's just some stupid hipster, but I owe it to them to defend against stupid hipsters.

So you felt the need to set the record straight that you're not "acting all butthurt because someone doesn't like his favourite band", but instead are "acting all butthurt because someone doesn't like a band you like" ?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember, Ember doesn't care about what you think! he's just telling you that you should think certain things about him. not that he cares.
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
remember, Ember doesn't care about what you think! he's just telling you that you should think certain things about him. not that he cares.

Of course he doesn't. It's just that he has this duty to defend the honour of Incubus on internet fora, otherwise he wouldn't be in this conversation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: