welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct. 13: Return of the God Hand!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

"You can't eat insects that walk on all fours unless they jump around like grasshoppers or locusts or whatever. Them's tasty. BUT ALL OTHER INSECTS THAT WALK ON FOUR LEGS ARE UNCLEAN. UNCLEeEEEeeeEEAAAAAAAAN."
--Leviticus, bro.

It is clear that Leviticus was talking about praying mantises! Razz

EDIT= or is it "praying mantids"? Embarassed
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anyone who eats the carcass of any of these uncleanities must wash their clothes"

yeah I dunno this is
uh
like really good health advice.

brb washing my clothes, accidentally ate some ants on my way home from work, soz...
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
"Anyone who eats the carcass of any of these uncleanities must wash their clothes"

yeah I dunno this is
uh
like really good health advice.

brb washing my clothes, accidentally ate some ants, soz...

First things first ants have six legs so you are safe for now.

As for washing clothes, if it isn't a translations error (what we usually get are translations of translations if we are lucky)... Then I guess they had really strange priorities in those times. Shocked
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, The Bible very clearly categorizes ants with the rest of the non-jumpy crawlies.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
LadySunami wrote:
winged insects ought to hop on the ground, not walk on all fours.

Of course I should add that I learned all this in an upper division theology class about two years ago, so my memory might be a little off.

one hopes so - either that, or insects have changed quite a bit since biblical times.

Or it was an odd translation. I'm guessing they just meant bugs that have wings but crawl around instead of always jumping and/or flying are messed up. The classy bugs never soil their feet in such a way.

The whole "don't eat rabbits" thing kinda shows their rules didn't have all that much to do with potential health problems. Bunnies just make lousy cows (and things like cows are the only proper land animals clearly.)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, none of this really supports my prior assertion that our stone-age ancestors weren't mentally retarded.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion humans are always a bit mentally retarded. It's a feature.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I figured you might be of that opinion, given the reference to the a quote from a certain Fantasy-Book Atlas-Shrugged-Rehash in your signature.

yes yes I know that the Objectivism didn't start being layered on so thick until later in the series and yes I enjoyed reading it and--
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Yea, I figured you might be of that opinion, given the reference to the a quote from a certain Fantasy-Book Atlas-Shrugged-Rehash in your signature.

yes yes I know that the Objectivism didn't start being layered on so thick until later in the series and yes I enjoyed reading it and--

I actually stopped reading after the first book... I got bored. The quote is still true though.

Kind of a good thing I stopped I guess. Atlas Shrugged pisses me off.

I think I made that my signature on a whim anyway. I should probably change it... It's only been that same thing since May 2009.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God's chosen authors weren't very specific. They left out a lot important details. But they did put in that part about not adding or taking anything away from the Word of God.

Of course, speculating on good reasons they might have had as to why they said not to eat pigs would fall under the category of 'adding to.'
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneponytoruleall wrote:
God's chosen authors weren't very specific. They left out a lot important details. But they did put in that part about not adding or taking anything away from the Word of God.

Of course, speculating on good reasons they might have had as to why they said not to eat pigs would fall under the category of 'adding to.'

YOU MEAN SA_PENGUIN AND ROTHIDE AND HALF OF THE OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD ARE GUILTY OF... BLASPHEMY???
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only half?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd respond by saying that you have to be a follower to begin with to be able to be guilty of blasphemy but that would contradict what I just said a few moments ago.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things that I saw that caught my attention: first about our ancestors. Those people were freakin' BRIGHT. One thing we must realize is that they had different skill sets for their time. They could make their own clothing, raise their own crops, build their own homes, and make their own tools.

If anything breaks in our house, we have to call some guy to repair it and hopefully it is something that he knows how to fix or you are screwed. Not to mention, we have more ample and ready means to receive knowledge. There is no reason why we shouldn't know the things we do AND how to do what they could do. Why don't we? Time constraints and relevance. We know more, but really, its mostly pointless stuff to aid us in our narrow endeavors in specialized jobs. Should we ever lose those jobs? Our knowledge would become worthless.

Anyway, in Astronomy, we had learned about various cultures and the work they did with observing the sky. We also learned about Eratosthenes and how he discovered the circumference of the Earth, the degree to which the Earth's axis tilts, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Even Issac Newton, talking about his discoveries, accredited it to this: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Anyway, when it comes to scriptures of any kind, I feel it is a silly thing to say "your holy book" mockingly. It is a historical record of incredible significance at the very LEAST. Maybe doubters don't believe in it literally, but I know Aesop's fables aren't literal and I still learn much from them and love their stories. I'm pretty sure everyone here has a book they have read that have changed their outlook on life in a big way at one point or another.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll go through that point-by-point, then.

I've made clothes, grown food, built buildings, and made tools. I know how to make soap from oil and ash, how to preserve meats without refrigeration, etc etc. I've done some electrical and plumbing though often it's a better use of my resources just to hire someone because they can do it faster than I can (they're doing it for a living, after all). Also, gotta stay in line with building codes. Not all of this would be applicable to living in the ancient world, but I think most people would pick it up pretty quickly. The main barriers to modern people trying to live in the distant past would be social, I think.

I wouldn't be as competent at doing what most of my semi-recent ancestors did to survive as they were (without experience doing those things), no. I'm not sure what your point is with that, though.

It certainly seems odd to me that you would call the division and specialization of labor "pointless stuff to aid us in our narrow endeavors." Ancient peoples didn't achieve much of anything without collaboration and some division of labor, either

I'm quite familiar with the method the Greeks used to measure the Earth and have used it as an example problem to teach people basic trig. I'd even be able to do it using the same symbols and methods as they used if you gave me extra time, but of course the modern way is easier. The funny thing about ancient math is how much harder they made things than they needed to. For instance, the Egyptians worked out some nifty things, sure, (got other things wrong but w/e), while they were doing all of their arithmetic as sums of unit fractions. Ich.

I used to like that quote from Newton, but I've grown disillusioned with it over the years from a combination of overuse and also knowing more about Newton himself.

As far as fables go, things like Harry Potter etc are infinitely superior to scripture in every way.

What's the overall theme to your post? You said 'anyway' a lot there, and it comes off as rambling, but pretty much everything you said was an argument for the value of the work of our ancestors, maybe? Yeah, that's the beauty of a civilization that builds on its own past work and collaborates continuously. Didn't mean much until a significant portion of the population had access to that knowledge and time to do something with it. Hardly anyone knew fuck-all about the Renaissance in the time when it was actually going on, for instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: