welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct. 13: Return of the God Hand!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it was more annoyance. It's going to happen and I have seen you do it before, but it got me this time. It wasn't just the things about our ancestors; it was generally mocking scripture. I should be used to it by now and to some degree I am, but I have been seeing more and more of it lately and it got to me.

Not to mention that maybe the political tension is growing and maybe that is why people seem to be more snarky than usual at the moment...

My point was to basically say that our generation is not as intelligent as we give ourselves credit for. All in all, I took issue with your tone concerning religious beliefs, and for the mass majority of people on this site.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to change that, sorry. Don't read my posts on the subject if it bothers you.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. Sorry. It was silly to even go there. I'll let it go.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, you've got every right to complain about it.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't mean to turn this into a "pat-each-other-on-the-back-and-sing-Kumbayah" deal, but you are all right by me, Heretical Rants! Very Happy Besides, I can't stay too upset for long at a fellow MLP fan.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: POST CAT GIF AND ABANDON THREAD Reply with quote

POST CAT GIF AND ABANDON THREAD
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks at rational good ending of discussion*

Guys, you're giving Sinfest Comic Forums a bad name.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Well, I don't mean to turn this into a "pat-each-other-on-the-back-and-sing-Kumbayah" deal, but you are all right by me, Heretical Rants! Very Happy Besides, I can't stay too upset for long at a fellow MLP fan.

I like Gibson if for no other reason he (or is it she?) uses the same kumbayah reference I do Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
I suppose it was more annoyance. It's going to happen and I have seen you do it before, but it got me this time. It wasn't just the things about our ancestors; it was generally mocking scripture. I should be used to it by now and to some degree I am, but I have been seeing more and more of it lately and it got to me.

Not to mention that maybe the political tension is growing and maybe that is why people seem to be more snarky than usual at the moment...

My point was to basically say that our generation is not as intelligent as we give ourselves credit for. All in all, I took issue with your tone concerning religious beliefs, and for the mass majority of people on this site.

Oh we're definitely not any more intelligent then people in the past. We do have more knowledge though, and I really wish we'd use it.

Scripture is fascinating for study, but should never be taken literally, especially not to the point anyone who dares contradict it gets ostracized and/or abused by their families and neighbors.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys missed the part where we talked about how IQs are increasing over time, both in things like vocabulary (which is related to better education) and things like logical reasoning, pattern recognition, and novel problem solving (fluid intelligence; not directly related to better education). They have to recalibrate IQ tests continuously or people would start falling off the top of the charts. Conversely, your great great grandparents who got through life just fine might be mentally retarded on a current test.

Theories were floated (better nutrition, access to vast amounts of information, we take so many tests that we're just better test takers now, etc), but no one knows why. We just know that people all over the world are scoring higher on IQ tests all the time.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

however, we don't know how people who lived thousands of years ago or in different places (like the ones who built incan cities or raised the easter island statues or figured out open-ocean navigation) would have scored in iq tests. so it is possible that intelligence over time is a u-shaped curve, with intelligence dropping during, say, the industrial revolution, as diets got more restrictive and air and water got nasty. it now looks like an upward curve because our data starts at or near the bottom of the curve, we have absolutely no data to extrapolate far back in time.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point, and one we obviously have no means of testing in either direction, so we're at a logical draw. Who knows how smart people were thousands of years ago? No one, that's who!

I like the idea that people were smart, got dumb, and are getting smarter again. Maybe that means we'll find Atlantis and the aliens will come back to visit us and protect us from the reptilians who are running the NWO and pushing Agenda 21 to take away our guns!

Because Jesus do we need some more smarts.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nice to think the aliens would come to save us.

yeah, i was going to say, if you project the current trend backwards, you probably end up with the people around during the pharoahs being drooling idiots, and then you have to explain everything the archeologists have dug up in egypt as being the product of aliens.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, of course, there are always people who would buck the trend;

Einstein, Bohr, Galileo, Copernicus, Tesla, Darwin, Gauss, Volta...

All people who could probably beat most people in an IQ test today.

Honestly, who do we have nowadays who is as well known as them? Stephen Hawking is the only one that comes to mind.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure in places like ancient Greece, Persia, China, India, etc. there were always a few smart cookies. We also have to take into account other factors like plagues and conscription. Also the things more primitive cultures would have had knowledge of is vastly different than what we need to know.

A dirt farm owner, while a dying breed, is the closest equivalent to this type of knowledge and skill set that we have today. Animal husbandry, caring of crops, fixing machinery, building their own house, hunting, fishing, and more-- a successful dirt farmer is usually quite knowledgeable. But then again, even in primitive times not everyone was this knowledgeable or capable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: