welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Birther" Question from Canadia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: "Birther" Question from Canadia Reply with quote

OK, I'm only asking this b/c I'm not overly knowledgeable about how things work down in the States. So...

Supposing Barack Obama wins this year and serves out his full 4 years. On the last day in office, when most soon-to-be ex-Prez's are pardoning all their unnamed co-conspirators, instead he yells, "Ha! Fooled ya! I was actually born in Dublin! Me name 'tis Brock O'Bama!" or some such.

Now I assume he'd go to jail on fraud charges, etc. But what would the upshot be? Would all the bills he signed into law suddenly be null and void?

A buddy of mine opined that maybe Obama's entire presidency would be null and void, which means that Joe Biden was technically president, so poor Joe would be prohibited from running in 2016 for a "third" term. Rolling Eyes

I want to know because I really have trouble understanding how your political system actually works. I mean, you claim to have a working Senate but you don't even have an Usher of the Black Rod. Shocked

P.S. Yes, I know how it's spelled.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't post here anymore.
Willem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he turns out to be Canadian and the US goes to war with Canada as a result and they bomb your house
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: I apologize. Uequivocally and without reservation. Reply with quote

First of all, I'm sorry -- I really am -- that I offended anyone here. I realize that this whole birther/teabagger thing is a sensitive issue -- only retroactively now do I see how sensitive -- so I apologize for being so insensitive as to be flip about it and not phrasing my question in a more clear and thoughtful manner.

For the record, I hope Obama wins. It would be better, in my non-American opinion, for America, and definitely better for Canada.

That being said, I know there are a handful of folks who call themselves "birthers" who say that since according to them B.O. [insert scare quote]wasn't born in the US[exit scare quote] -- the gov't of Hawai`i notwithstanding -- he can't be POTUS. (I don't understand that myself -- our current PM wasn't even born on this planet but we can't use that to disqualify him.)

My question was only to find out what the upshot was if this happened to any president. I did not mean at all to imply that Barack Obama is not and has been the lawful and legitimate President.

If I was misunderstood, I accept full responsibility for that. I guess my trying to be witty came off as more witless.

If the question is on too touchy a topic, or if I have tainted it too much with my ignorance already, I will respectfully withdraw it, again with sincere apologies.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I apologize. Uequivocally and without reservation. Reply with quote

John in Tronna wrote:
That being said, I know there are a handful of folks who call themselves "birthers" who say that since according to them B.O. [insert scare quote]wasn't born in the US[exit scare quote] -- the gov't of Hawai`i notwithstanding -- he can't be POTUS. (I don't understand that myself -- our current PM wasn't even born on this planet but we can't use that to disqualify him.)

My question was only to find out what the upshot was if this happened to any president. I did not mean at all to imply that Barack Obama is not and has been the lawful and legitimate President.

There's a group of folks who are convinced the Earth is flat. In spite of this I feel absolutely no desire to discuss the impact this information woud have if proven true. Why are you particularly interested in the ramblings of deranged conspiracy theorists?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an interesting theoretical/constitutional law question, but seeing as how Barack Obama actually is a natural-born United States citizen and there is no constitutional illegitimacy to his being in office, it's also pretty much completely moot

but it's interesting mainly because it would be totally unprecedented, so if such a thing ever happened, the courts/Congress/etc would pretty much be flying blind
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belief that he's one of David Icke's lizard people is more likely to be revealed as truthful.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birthers get way worse treatment than Ember does here, you aren't likely to find any to answer your question.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also no definitive answer because it's never happened, nor will it ever happen.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When asking questions based in fantasyland it's always best to ask someone who lives there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated by other posters, it's pretty much impossible to predict an outcome with no precedents available to compare it to.

Although last time I checked impeached presidents haven't had everything they've done reversed, so theres that.

But yeah, if you buy into the whole "Obama wasn't born here", you're either incredibly stupid or hate him enough to willingly accept something that you know is absurd (see Cognitive Dissonance).
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
There's also no definitive answer because it's never happened, nor will it ever happen.

Actually, I've not read that Chester A. Arthur's birthplace has been definitively confirmed.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, if my Granny had balls, would she be my Granddaddy?

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did I JUST SAY about acting the fool? For fuck's sake...

This is a completely stupid question based on a deranged concept. Oh, and a racist concept too. Just last week more people on the campaign trail were talking about sending Obama back to Kenya. This isn't just a sensitive topic, it is one that shows racism is still alive and goddamn well in the US. The birther movement wasn't fringe fit a long time - we finally pushed it there and you want to ask about consequences of Obama not being American. Don't give the fringe group any attention or they might grow back like black mold!

And absolutely no one said we have a functioning Senate - why do you think they downgraded our credit?

Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair FI, he did admit that he only signed up right during the patriarchy arc. Bear in mind the newbies we got around then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: