welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Birther" Question from Canadia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides which, it is an interesting constitutional question as to what happens if it turns out we go eight years with a president who isn't constitutionally authorized to be president. might make a good political novel premise.

it just doesn't have any bearing on the present real world, because Barack Obama is totally legitimately the President of the United States.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
What did I JUST SAY about acting the fool? For fuck's sake...

This is a completely stupid question based on a deranged concept. Oh, and a racist concept too. Just last week more people on the campaign trail were talking about sending Obama back to Kenya. This isn't just a sensitive topic, it is one that shows racism is still alive and goddamn well in the US. The birther movement wasn't fringe fit a long time - we finally pushed it there and you want to ask about consequences of Obama not being American. Don't give the fringe group any attention or they might grow back like black mold!

Lighten up, Francis.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bluster bluster bluster*

I think treason by a sitting president would be a much more interesting political novel. Or if he were an alien from space or something.

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
only signed up right during the patriarchy arc.

patriarc
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Although last time I checked impeached presidents haven't had everything they've done reversed, so theres that.

well, but neither of them was convicted of anything, so there would be no basis to reverse what they've done.

of most relevance is perhaps nixon's resignation - but again, he was never convicted of criminal wrongdoing, and he stepped down of his own accord.

the idea of what would happen if the president turned out to be illegitimate (say, for example, it was proven that someone bribed to supreme court to throw the 2000 election to dubya) does have points of interest. but i think practically, you would be hard put to reverse what has been done, because all consequences have actions. i mean, if dubya was an illegitimate president, then he had absolutely no power to invade iraq, but it's not like you can wave your hand and set iraq back to 2001.

and on biden - i suspect the fact that he will be 74 in 2016 will pretty much put the kibosh on his running for president then (reagan was 69 when he was first elected).

still - i think it's an interesting mind game sort of thing, so no reason to jump on poor John so hard. besides, he's canadian! how bad can he be?

note to John: do not try to prove how bad you can be.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a guess, but I think the practical answer is "nothing." Without precedent or a Constitutional framework, no automatic action would happen. It would fall to Congress to decide what to do, and they'd do it through additional legislation. Which means nothing would happen (due to our lack of an Usher of the Black Rod), but Dems would be run out of both houses for a generation and racists everywhere would feel vindicated in their distrust of minorities.
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, for what it's worth, I apologize for even bringing up the subject. I would not have done so had I realized just how thorny an issue it was

I am not a birther -- which is why I put the quotes around it in the subject line. I voted NDP in the last election, that puts me further to the left than Obama is. Yes, I believe he's American; again, I only asked the question because you have this constitutional rule, and I merely wondered "what if". Also, I do NOT hate the man. I like him (as far as any politician goes).

All I am asking here is, to paraphrase Napoleon, please do not attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.

So.... how can I make amends here to those I've offended?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably don't hold anything against you and were just getting prickly at the very mention of birthers.
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
They probably don't hold anything against you and were just getting prickly at the very mention of birthers.

I hope so. I hate that I caused such a reaction. I can understand what a sensitive issue it is, I just didn't know to what extent. The fault for misjudging the situation is mine, since I have been lurking since July when I first registered to yesterday I think when I first was able to log in, so maybe I shoulda known better.

I'm hoping we can all get past this. I know I'd like to put it behind me... I don't know what's worst: that people think I'm insensitive, that I'm stupid, or that I'm a Republican.

I can accept the first two. Embarassed

Mulligan?

Please...?
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what HR said. Or as Snorri would say, It's coo' man.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, really, the whole birther thing is just silly. was george washington born in the united states of america? was jefferson? or adams? I THINK NOT.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEORGE WASHINGTON WAS BORN IN KENYA?!
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Revolution is invalidated! We belong to Britain! Damn your foreign hide, Founding Fathers!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John in Tronna wrote:
So.... how can I make amends here to those I've offended?

First, you must journey into the blackest heart of /d/, and from there retrieve one hentai image that is not anatomically impossible.
Then, you must bait a 419 scammer, and deceive him into crossing the border into the Congo with contraband clearly visible upon his person.
Finally, you will come to the land of Realization, wherein you will find a locked trunk. With the key of Bitter Experience, you must open the lock and tell us what secret lies within.
Only upon delivering unto us this Great Truth shall you be forgiven, and accepted into our great and secret cabal of internet smartasses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: