welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/13 Winter is coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy dang. Is it really that big of a deal that he used the word "tamed"?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't take KIIIIINDLY to that patriarchal bullshit round these parts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
We don't take KIIIIINDLY to that patriarchal bullshit round these parts.

Totally made me laugh, because when you said that I pretty much imagined a cowboy flipping me off right after I saw your gif.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't read "Taming of the Shrew" then. I'd hate for anyone to get a gut-full of hatred for classical lit.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not clever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Just don't read "Taming of the Shrew" then. I'd hate for anyone to get a gut-full of hatred for classical lit.

Just because it's old doesn't make it right, nor does it imply that it came from a moral high ground.

Plus Shakespeare is a SUPER poor example; dude was ALL about using his writing to get some ass.

Also the only times it is acceptable to say you are "taming" someone is either:

a) it is part of some sort of consensual BDSM play where said 'taming' is part of the activities agreed upon by both parties

OR

b) You're a young boy imbued with psionic powers and are fighting people being influenced and/or controlled by an intergalactic embodiment of evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Gibson22 wrote:

Just because it's old doesn't make it right, nor does it imply that it came from a moral high ground.

Plus Shakespeare is a SUPER poor example; dude was ALL about using his writing to get some ass.

Also the only times it is acceptable to say you are "taming" someone is either:

a) it is part of some sort of consensual BDSM play where said 'taming' is part of the activities agreed upon by both parties

OR

b) You're a young boy imbued with psionic powers and are fighting people being influenced and/or controlled by an intergalactic embodiment of evil

I will concede on the fact that Shakespeare must have played that angle like an upright bass to get the ladies. However, I don't think the usage of the word deserves all the outrage that has been given.

For example, you watch television and you will inevitably get to the whole "leaving the toilet seat up" argument. Oftentimes when I hear women talk they refer to eliminating that habit as "training their husbands". Taming would be suitable in the case that the devil girl was unruly but has calmed her evil ways.

It was also stated that it was her choice and that it means that she was not tamed whatsoever, but no more so than a man who learns to open a door for a woman, pull her seat out for her, etc.

I am not saying that women are "taming" men against our will, etc, etc. I am just pointing out that using "tame" really isn't that big of a deal. Especially since it was written by somebody whom I assume doesn't speak English as his/her first language.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST STOP YOU ARE DIGGING YOURSELF DEEPER....STFU AND LET IT DROP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
JUST STOP YOU ARE DIGGING YOURSELF DEEPER....STFU AND LET IT DROP.

I notice that you tend to say that to EVERYBODY who has a differing opinion from you. For someone who prides themselves on being clever, I'd think you'd approach it with something fresh.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a protip fuckface. When a member of a generally oppressed minority takes the time to point out how certain uses of the language are condescending the appropriate response isn't "LAWL U SILLY WIMMENZ, NO ITS NOT"

The fact that you point to shakespeare.....yeah his time period was a REAL winner for everyone who wasn't a white european male, I'm sure there couldn't be casual condescension and bigotry in his work.

Christ...why are all the new posters so FUCKING TERRIBLE!? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to understand one thing, Gibson, that dissent... is not tolerated amongst some people here. Monkey being one of them. He also doesn't exhibit traits that he resent others doesn't have (humourous, cleverness, intelligence) so you can tick him as a hypocrite right off the bat. My advice to you.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Ok, here's a protip fuckface. When a member of a generally oppressed minority takes the time to point out how certain uses of the language are condescending the appropriate response isn't "LAWL U SILLY WIMMENZ, NO ITS NOT"

The fact that you point to shakespeare.....yeah his time period was a REAL winner for everyone who wasn't a white european male, I'm sure there couldn't be casual condescension and bigotry in his work.

There we go! Now THERE is something new...all save for the last line anyway, but it's a start.

Women most definitely are not the minority nor are men. I am saying that a double standard is being applied here, at least as far as getting offended goes, and it is over something needless.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

There we go! Now THERE is something new...all save for the last line anyway, but it's a start.

Women most definitely are not the minority nor are men. I am saying that a double standard is being applied here, at least as far as getting offended goes, and it is over something needless.

They are on this forum....they are in the halls of power, they are in the unbalanced standards society sets for men and women. I

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
You need to understand one thing, Gibson, that dissent... is not tolerated amongst some people here. Monkey being one of them. He also doesn't exhibit traits that he resent others doesn't have (humourous, cleverness, intelligence) so you can tick him as a hypocrite right off the bat. My advice to you.

Thank you for the input. Very Happy I really don't mind if he has a differing opinion or if Monkey bashes my opinion. Honestly, it was fun reading his/her comments whenever I was in here. He's always right up there with something funny. I'm just on the receiving end this time.

Besides, I did come on this forum tonight looking for a bit of intellectual stimulation and it appears I found it. Very Happy
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point it really really isn't about opinion. It's a lot more like that scene from clerks where they discuss whether or not "porch monkey" is a racist slur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: