welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GOP and friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that if there is indeed a god, he LOVES irony:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by fritterdonut on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got 3.5 bitcoins back when they were at about $9.50 USD each. Now bitcoin's up to about $13.50 USD

Made $14 on a $33 investment. Not too shabby. I'll probably sell it whenever it looks like it's teetering on the brink of a crash.

People bash them a hell of a lot, but the main problem with bitcoin isn't that it is insecure, it's secure to the point of pretty much complete anonymity (especially if you run multiple addresses through the TOR network). When you have no traceable info, it's that much easier to just take someone's money and run.

As long as you use well known services, like the MtGox exchange, you shouldn't really have any issues with it. It's buyer beware to the max.

It interested me a while ago, when I had a (at the time) good computer and could make a decent bit of money doing CPU/GPU mining, but now that it seems to be moving into dedicated hardware that I don't have the money to afford, it doesn't interest me as much.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
un.

As long as you use well known services, like the MtGox exchange, you shouldn't really have any issues with it. It's buyer beware to the max.

I'll just leave this here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
un.

Wikipedia wrote:
Within minutes the price rebounded to over $15 before Mt.Gox shut down their exchange and canceled all trades that happened during the hacking period.[73][74] The exchange rate of Bitcoins quickly returned to near pre-crash values.[75][76][77][78] Accounts with the equivalent of more than USD 8,750,000 were affected.

Hacking happens, even to real life banks. Also, that happened back in 2011, bitcoin was only 2 years old. In the 2 years since, security has only ever been increasing. At this point,a secure wallet, protected with a four letter password, lowercase only, can take days to crack. With the addition of capitals, numbers and symbols, and longer length the time to crack grows exponentially.

Even if you have no interest in alternate currencies, bitcoin is at the forefront of modern cryptography and information security. And as the world becomes more digital, the security lessons learnt from bitcoin might come in handy some time.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the only person I have ever heard refer to bitcoins and not follow it up with hollow, mocking laughter.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I made $14, so I have no qualms with it.

Also, how did bitcoin even come up in this thread?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure if $14 is really all you should be looking for in confirmation that it's a good idea. If I win $14 on a poker machine should I become a gambling addict? Like Feit? That dude is fucking disgusting.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could see the use of a secure, anonymous digital banking service using currency not tied to a government or national economy.

It might be one of those good-in-theory-bad-in-practice things. Like communism. Or supersonic passenger jets.

Also, I'm kinda out of the loop and googling "Feit" in relation to gambling got me nothing. Have a link anywhere?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Also, I'm kinda out of the loop and googling "Feit" in relation to gambling got me nothing. Have a link anywhere?

http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/memberlist.php
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinitely superior link
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some pricey teddy bears.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Bill O'Reilly is a racist fuckwad and why I follow George Takei on twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
un.

Wikipedia wrote:
Within minutes the price rebounded to over $15 before Mt.Gox shut down their exchange and canceled all trades that happened during the hacking period.[73][74] The exchange rate of Bitcoins quickly returned to near pre-crash values.[75][76][77][78] Accounts with the equivalent of more than USD 8,750,000 were affected.

Hacking happens, even to real life banks. Also, that happened back in 2011, bitcoin was only 2 years old. In the 2 years since, security has only ever been increasing. At this point,a secure wallet, protected with a four letter password, lowercase only, can take days to crack. With the addition of capitals, numbers and symbols, and longer length the time to crack grows exponentially.

Even if you have no interest in alternate currencies, bitcoin is at the forefront of modern cryptography and information security. And as the world becomes more digital, the security lessons learnt from bitcoin might come in handy some time.

So you're just going to ignore all those other instances of bitcoin sites scamming and or being hacked that happened like... 6 months ago or so?

Starting to understand why you might think they're a good idea.

*hollow mocking laughter*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What issues? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: