welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GOP and friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty much why it needs to be mocked; you need to endorphins from the "funny haha" to help deal with it.

It's like the GOP read "Snowcrash" and "Handmaiden's Tale" and thought "THESE ARE AWESOME! Let's combine them into a SUPER DYSTOPIA!"
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Obvious statement is obvious? Shocked

NO. FUCKING. WAY.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Also of note:

Quote:
Women are worse off with contraception because it suppresses and disables who they are, Pedulla said.

Hear that ladies? Those damn prophylactics are like a frontal lobotomy. Shocked

Curse you Trojan Man!!!!

*shakes fist angrily*

Wait, wait. Does this mean abstinance also "disables who we are"?

I bet he's pretty peeved by lesbians and asexual females as well as contraceptive users. "Why do you refuse to have sex that will make babies?!"

Screw you dude! I'll be a mother if and when I feel like it! (Which is certainly not now. I have a PhD to continue working for.)
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, just because your insurance covers something doesn't mean you have to use that coverage. i mean, my insurance covers DREs .....doesn't mean i'm going to rush over to my doctor and request one.

why do people assume that if the coverage exists, all their women employees are suddenly going to start gobbling pills like candy and demanding abortions?
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because sometimes that is what they do (though I truly think it is because of the product, not the service).
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/25/170259620/free-breast-pumps-and-the-cost-of-health-care

Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, it's NPR. Everyone knows what a bunch of right-wing hacks they are.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Because sometimes that is what they do (though I truly think it is because of the product, not the service).
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/25/170259620/free-breast-pumps-and-the-cost-of-health-care

well, yeah, totally the product - you have a group of people who probably want to buy the product anyway, but are limited by what they can afford, and you say "you can have whatever version you like! FOR FREEE!". naturally, people who are already in the market are going to take the offer, and get the best they can find. but i doubt anyone is getting pregnant because, hey, free breast pump!
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the comments makes the interesting point that more expensive breast pumps work better and pump faster, making it feasible to pump at work over a short break. That presumably either allows women to return to work earlier, or continue feeding breast milk longer, both of which are net positives for the mother and child. Since the general position of medical science is that breastfed babies are healthier, expensive breast pumps may save money over time. Maybe.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

N.H. Lawmaker Says Some People Might ‘Like Being In Abusive Relationships’ (VIDEO)
[size=9]
Tom Kludt 12:49 PM EST, Wednesday February 27, 2013 [/size

Quote:
Speaking out in support of a bill that would shift the penalty for simple assault from a misdemeanor crime to a violation-level offense in certain cases, a Republican legislator in New Hampshire on Tuesday suggested that "a lot of people like being in abusive relationships."

The argument was floated by state Rep. Mark Warden (R), one of only four members of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee to vote in favor of the bill, which drew opposition from both law enforcement and domestic violence groups alike. By a 16-4 margin, the panel voted to recommend that the full state House shoot down the bill.

"Some people could make the argument that a lot of people like being in abusive relationships," Warden said during a meeting held by the committee. "It's a love-hate relationship. It's very, very common for people to stick around with somebody they love who also abuses him or her."

He continued, "Is the solution to those kind of dysfunctional relationships going to be more government, another law? I tend to say no. People are always free to leave."

The remark was caught on camera by the liberal advocacy group Granite State Progress and released on Wednesday afternoon.

Warden refused to address the remarks later on Tuesday.

"I'm sure it was taken out of context, but that's all Im going to say about it," Warden said, according to the Concord Monitor.

Warden could not be immediately reached by TPM for comment.

This post has been updated.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/nh-lawmaker-says-some-people-might-like-being?ref=fpb

I don't, I, just, what?
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right up there with "women's bodies have a way to shut that whole thing down" regarding conception from rape. Where the fuck do they find these people?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the republican party: finding new ways to alienate people!

than again, maybe they share some sort of hearing problem. i mean, they can't actually be hearing what they are saying, can they?
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he got lost halfway there

Quote:
"Some people could make the argument that a lot of people like being in abusive relationships," Warden said during a meeting held by the committee. "It's a love-hate relationship. It's very, very common for people to stick around with somebody they love who also abuses him or her."

this sounds like _just_ the build up he was briefed on, this is exactly what does happen a lot - even if the analysis is a little bit shady, it turns out to be surprisingly easy to enter an abusive relationship and not want to leave, not straight away anyway. He's a little bit crude about it, but then again, this is what "some people" could say.

Quote:
He continued, "Is the solution to those kind of dysfunctional relationships going to be more government, another law?

Going well so far! Went from "topical situation" to "obvious, easy-to-contradict answer"

Quote:
I tend to say no.

woohoo! Maverick! Go republicans! Won't stand for this! I've got guns!

But wait... All of a sudden, he realises he's forgotten the middle bit, that was supposed to lead from A (an analysis of a current situation, backed by facts) to C (his party's position)

He's left out the reasoning!

Better fill something in quick...

Quote:
People are always free to leave.

oops?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republicans know all about people staying in an abusive relationship.
After all, they keep selling their platform to the working and middle class voters.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way for anyone not in the know: the shriveled, amoral tumor known as 'scalia' continues to impress me with his vacuous contempt for decency. this week especially.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell Mark Warden?! Just... whaaat?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah nah, see, he's just applying Free Market ideals to abusive domestic relationships. If you as a rational actor feel that you aren't getting a fair deal, you're free to take your affections elsewhere. It's the invisible backhand of the market!
Really, it's Big Government that's being coercive here. We don't need bureaucrats gumming up the efficiency of the free market of relationships!

Excuse me whilst I go boil my head in bleach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27

Jump to: