welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GOP and friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we're going with 'what people grew up with' as basis for law. I look forward to the five second rule finally being legally allowed in restaurants.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm guessing boehner is catholic. so i figure he's right that his church's position will never change.

it does explain a lot about their attitudes toward women. after all, the beav's mom never wanted a job outside the home or an abortion or any radical stuff like that!
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting things filtering out of the republican party these days, as they continue to mull over the election results.

first conclusion: it's not their message, it's how their message sounds:
Quote:
“The way we communicate our principles isn’t resonating widely enough,” Mr. Priebus said. “Focus groups described our party as narrow-minded, out of touch and, quote, stuffy old men.”

of course, when your session on how they aren't racists degenerates into a bunch of racism.....maybe it would be a good idea to take a close look at what your message really is.

(the message on racism?
Quote:
Disruptions began when he started accusing Democrats of still being the party of the Confederacy — a common talking point on the right.

“I don’t care how much the KKK improved,” he said. “I’m not going to join the KKK. The Democratic Party founded the KKK.”

that, of course, is clearly why the democrats keep sweeping the Old South.)
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or how if you didn't know better, you'd swear the Republican Party was the party of the Confederacy...
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

of course, when your session on how they aren't racists degenerates into a bunch of racism.....maybe it would be a good idea to take a close look at what your message really is.

(the message on racism?
Quote:
Disruptions began when he started accusing Democrats of still being the party of the Confederacy — a common talking point on the right.

“I don’t care how much the KKK improved,” he said. “I’m not going to join the KKK. The Democratic Party founded the KKK.”

that, of course, is clearly why the democrats keep sweeping the Old South.)

the videos on the CPAC "how to not be called a racist when you know you aren't one" event where they are instructed to collaborate to frame themselves as booker t. negroblack afriluther king conservatives or whatever

it is so bad it literally makes me feel queasy. holy shit.

I also like the going idea they have for making the democrats out to be the plantation owner folk. Like, literally, in this year of our lord 2013, when in this last election alone they have proven that they are engaged in a concerted effort to minimize and disenfranchise minority voters, they are going to ignore that the Southern Strategy was a thing that they did and pretend that no, it is not they who have the problem with racism, it is those liberals.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

“It seems to be that you’re reaching out to voters at the expense of young white Southern males,” Terry said, adding he “came to love my people and culture” who were “being systematically disenfranchised.”

Smith responded that Douglass forgave his slavemaster.

“For giving him shelter? And food?” Terry said.

At this point the event devolved into a mess of shouting.

Wow.

mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like on literally every subject possible, they are so utterly disconnected from reality that they are practically in another dimension.

republicans: proof that bizarroworld exists!
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's hardly anything new for conservatives. their standard tactic whenever the issue turns to race is to insist that anyone who talks about race in any way is a racist.

it is, however, a twisted and ironic little historical note that the Confederacy wound up conquering its nemesis the Republican Party after all.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
it is, however, a twisted and ironic little historical note that the Confederacy wound up conquering its nemesis the Republican Party after all.

lol.

Okay, so you're the Party of Lincoln... who freed the slaves... that some of you now seem to think had a pretty good life. Their new slogan is, "Vote GOP, we used to stand for equality!" Sounds like a winner.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't bring up Lincoln's sexuality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
it's like on literally every subject possible, they are so utterly disconnected from reality that they are practically in another dimension.

republicans: proof that bizarroworld exists!

I like the term Fractal Wrongness.

"the state of being wrong at every conceivable scale of resolution. That is, from a distance, a fractally wrong person's worldview is incorrect; and furthermore, if you zoom in on any small part of that person's worldview, that part is just as wrong as the whole worldview. "

For vast portions of the republican party, it fits, and it fits well.

And that makes me sad.

EDIT: I should note it makes me sad because I do not like the thought of people being so entrenched in, well, a worldview based on things that are simply *incorrect* that they seemingly *cannot be brought out of it*.
/Also because willful ignorance makes me FURIOUS for some reason.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger

Last edited by Felgraf on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's enough to make me question my identity as a conservative. Perhaps I can just be anti-liberal?
Razz
kame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you shouldn't describe yourself in oversimplified terms such as "conservative" or "liberal" and form a coherent three dimensional worldview that is elastic enough to adjust to a constantly evolving planet.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
/Also because willful ignorance makes me FURIOUS for some reason.

Few things are as frustrating as dealing with someone who's attitude is "I don't know, I don't care, I don't want to listen to you."

It's like dealing with a child that sticks their fingers in their ears, closes their eyes and starts going "NYAH NYAH NYAH!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who strongly identify with any strict political ideology or party are misguided at best, unless they are active and influential participants in its creation/maintenance.

Admittedly I would tend to be more annoyed by someone describing themselves as "anti-liberal" than by someone describing themselves as "anti-conservative," because

Wikipedia wrote:
Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty, equality, and justice (including both legal justice and social justice).[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally they support ideas such as free and fair elections, civil rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and private property.

= a bunch of stuff I like

Wikipedia wrote:
Conservatism (Latin: conservare, "to retain") is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions.

= one thing I most likely dislike, depending on the institutions in question

but yeah

'course, these terms are used quite differently in American politics.
Some people consider American conservatism to just be a branch of liberalism, but I suppose they never met the modern-day GOP, which is a party that very well may be defined as anti-liberal.

You might have noticed that conservatism and liberalism in the broader sense are not opposites, which is why there is this.
David Cameron wrote:
I'm a liberal Conservative.

Liberal - because I believe in spreading freedom and democracy, and supporting humanitarian intervention.

That is why we cannot stand by and watch further genocide in Darfur.

But Conservative - because I also recognise the complexities of human nature, and will always be sceptical of grand schemes to remake the world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: