welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GOP and friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had heard the expression 'go pound sand', but i had _no_ idea that was actually what it meant.....
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Europe's champions of austerity

Quote:
Not every European country is gasping under the straitjacket of austerity. Estonia and Latvia are both powering ahead after a period of excruciating belt-tightening.

The example of Latvia is particularly stark. The small Baltic state suffered the worst recession in Europe, with a 24% drop in GDP between 2007 and 2009. Two years later its economy was the fastest growing in the EU, putting Latvia in a position possibly to join the euro. Estonia, meanwhile, grew by 7.6% last year, five times the eurozone average.

I guess it's all relative.

Quote:
While Greeks planted bombs at the prospect of economic reform, the Baltic citizens barely raised a whisper of complaint. Protests were limited and generally directed at corruption rather than the cuts. Both Latvians and Estonians even re-elected the politicians that brought in the stringent measures.

Voters, it seems, had lived through worse. Lars Christensen, chief analyst at Danske Bank, said: "I think that most people in the Baltic states know real hardship, queueing for toilet paper, living in Soviet times."

that's kinda selective quoting.

Quote:
But before George Osborne goes trumpeting the Baltics as a shining example, he may want to look at the social cost of these austerity measures. The Centre for Economic and Policy Research estimates that unemployment in Latvia rocketed to 30% in 2010, taking into account people forced into part-time work and those who had given up looking. It has since fallen back, but is still high at 15%.

What's more, the recoveries should be seen in the context of their previous collapse. Both economies are growing fast but neither has got back up to pre-crisis levels.

What recoveries they have enjoyed, many economists put down to geography. Christensen said: "If you compare the Baltic states to Bulgaria, which has passed similar austerity measures and has not recovered in any way to the same degree, there is only one real difference and that is, who's your neighbour."

The Baltic states are near the wealthy Scandinavian countries, while Bulgaria sits next to Greece. Latvia does almost 70% of its foreign trade with the Nordics, Germany, Poland and Russia, which have all returned to growth. After a while, money flowing in from exports spilled over into its home market and Latvians started spending again. The Swedish central bank, one of the main central banks of the region, also moved quickly to deal with the financial crisis.

Christensen said: "I am quite sceptical about the idea that [the Baltics] can serve as some kind of model. Luck played quite a big role in this; the fact that these countries have a close financial connection to Scandinavia. You cannot choose not to have austerity, that has clearly been the credo the Baltic governments have lived off; but you need help from the export side or from the financial side, and there has been some of both."

Even if austerity works to a degree (Latvia is still below previous levels) it's position is so fundamentally different from that of the US and a lot of other states that it tells us nothing about what should be done in the US.

Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

or even better, we can use the stimulus to, i don't know, fix the bridges that are about to collapse, or bury power lines so they don't black out large areas during storms or cause wildfires during droughts,

But watching the US become the country with the worst infrastructure in the world is just so much fun!

Seriously though, fix that shit US of A. While I'm glad that my last holiday in the US has made me love the roads over here so so much it's still kind of embarrassing that you're considered a first world nation with that kind of shit.

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Seriously though, fix that shit US of A. While I'm glad that my last holiday in the US has made me love the roads over here so so much it's still kind of embarrassing that you're considered a first world nation with that kind of shit.

Infrastructure development returns, on average, twice as much as you put into it, in terms of dollar value. And it revitalizes economy. And keeps modern economic advancement in reach. And keeps urban areas humming smoothly. And saves gas. And reduces deficits.

So, of course, the republicans will filibuster it unless it's part of a pork package deal to pay off.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Snorri wrote:

Infrastructure development returns, on average, twice as much as you put into it, in terms of dollar value. And it revitalizes economy. And keeps modern economic advancement in reach. And keeps urban areas humming smoothly. And saves gas. And reduces deficits.

So, of course, the republicans will filibuster it unless it's part of a pork package deal to pay off.

Even the staunchest republican voters I've talked to absolutely support infrastructure development. Like, even fucking libertarians put roads and shit in the category of "things that a government can do".

Which is what it makes so bizarre. Surely Republican congressmen and the like wouldn't oppose it that hard? Has it really become a situation where they're not even doing what their own voters want? A situation where they keep getting elected not because of anything they do but because they're the republican candidate?

fuck man.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Surely Republican congressmen and the like wouldn't oppose it that hard? Has it really become a situation where they're not even doing what their own voters want? A situation where they keep getting elected not because of anything they do but because they're the republican candidate?

short answer: yes

long answer: what's the matter with kansas, basically

it is still gobsmackingly frustrating
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has me kinda speechless and sad:

Glenn Beck, Vince Vaughn, Peter Billingsley launch reality show
By Tim Molloy | Reuters 4 hrs ago
Quote:
NEW YORK (TheWrap.com) - Glenn Beck is launching a reality show with Vince Vaughn and Peter Billingsley to find great documentary filmmakers.

Vaughn is one of Hollywood's highest profile conservatives, and a recent Ron Paul supporter. Billingsley, a producer and director who often works with Vaughn, is celebrated this time of year for his childhood role in the classic film "A Christmas Story."

The new reality show, called "Pursuit of Truth," will air on Beck's TheBlazeTV. It will feature documentaries submitted to the show as it seeks "the world's next great documentary filmmaker." Twenty competitors will see the ultimate prize of financing and worldwide distribution.]

"I am proud to announce that Vince Vaughn and I are going to be the executive producers," Beck said on his Wednesday radio show, according to Politico. "That should make everybody's head spin. What the hell is Vince Vaughn doing with a crazy man? I know, that's what my friends say. Glenn, what are you doing with the crazy man Vince Vaughn? Yes. It's great, isn't it? I love it."

As you may have guessed, the conservative commentator just might be especially enthusiastic about films that critique the federal government and left-wing ideology.

"I'd like to see the stuff just isn't done," Beck said. "And done right. And done without conspiracy. I'd love to see something on the Federal Reserve, the game that's being played there. I would love to see something on why capitalism is actually a good thing, why it's not a bad thing."
Billingley added in a statement: "Getting any film beyond the idea stage has become increasingly difficult these days, especially for documentary filmmakers that want to shine a light and make a difference. Our goal is to create a powerful annual platform to help filmmakers tell important and engaging stories."

Filmmakers can submit their work at the new show's website until January 31. The show will air in the spring.

"Whether you are a fledgling, aspiring, experienced or first time filmmaker, with a great idea for a documentary film, this is your chance of a lifetime - to get your feature documentary film financed and distributed to a worldwide audience," the site says.

Also, don't shoot your eye out.

The films will be reviewed by Vaughn, Billingsley, Beck and Go Go Luckey Entertainment's Gary Auerbach.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality's not going to be pleased that Beck is taking her name for this project. They haven't been on speaking terms since their divorce.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim DeMint is leaving the Senate

brb finding right 4chan image macro to express my intrigued glee
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only he'd done it back in 2004.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's an influential conservative, giving up his post to head the Heritage Foundation. Does that seem like a step back to anyone? Can you name the current head of the Heritage Foundation? I can't. They must be paying him a ton of money.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or he just lost some manner of internal battle in the GOP
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might not be a bad sign, since DeMint is considered one of the most hardline conservatives. If they're ousting him then maybe they really did learn from the last election.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
or he just lost some manner of internal battle in the GOP

and i'm hoping it is on raising taxes to reduce the deficit, since that would mean that at least a few republicans are coming to their senses. i hope that includes nikki haley, and that she will choose someone half-way rational (if there is anyone left like that in south carolina - hey, maybe she could appoint stephen colbert! he and al franken could start a comedian caucus!)

it does seem really odd that it comes out of the blue like this, though. they must have made him an offer earlier, and clearly he waited until after the election - i imagine if the republicans had gained control of the senate, he would have stayed.

but is this guy really a thinker? as in someone who can really think, rather than someone like paul ryan, who just spouts off nonsense that make him seem like he thinks.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beck said. "And done right. And done without conspiracy.

beck forswearing conspiracy? i don't know quite how to take this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 7 of 30

Jump to: