welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is everyone so grumpy at each other?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Why is everyone so grumpy at each other? Reply with quote

ITT we talk about why we all can't just get along.

ITT we talk about why we all can't just get along.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need minimum 10 years of forum history to understand that question.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one person on this board I truly dislike. They know who they are.

Even if I frequently disagree with somebody I usually still take a liking to their moxie. This forum has a lot of good moxie.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forum is essentially unmoderated. this is something that works ok if there is the absence of a few potential situations, but those potentials come around eventually and can cause a community to grind down and shed a lot of their more productive and positive aspects, and what's left behind is progressively more and more shitheaded and mean and resilient, aka 'grouchy.'

even just one ultra corrosive individual can undo years of slow, potentially progressive growth. one forum user eventually unloaded his resentment at the community by flooding it with relentless hostility and actually slutshamed some women off the forum, including msfrisby, and overall i think the end tally of people he caused to move off the forum got up to about nine long-time users who were very positive contributions.

and he was far from the only one. over time, it's a staccato beat that wears out a forum, especially if the forum starts moving to a period of lean growth or decline (i.e., more users washing out than registering/coming in)

when any one individual is potentially empowered through a lack of moderation to have that kind of significant power over a forum community, the community engages in a pattern of self-selection for voluntary withdrawal. A lot of otherwise kind and conflict averse people leave, and over time and given a repeat pattern of corrosion in this particular manner, the ones who tend to stay behind are those who are either conflict prone or can otherwise tune out the conflict when they choose and are not significantly harmed by, you know, awful people doing awful things.

as a particular example i'm familiar with so can kind of use as a case study, msfrisby was one such example of this. she was one of the best things this forum ever had going for it! she got chased off in one wildly misogynistic shame-spree by a dude who kept calling her a fat slut and other things. as long as this is the environment that pervades in a forum that is expected to 'self regulate' or just 'not feed the trolls,' you lose your chill peeps over time and the baseline tone and attitude of the posters just becomes more shrill, vituperous, sardonic, and hard-edged.

contrary to most people's assumptions about being a bunch of big boy people in their big boy pants not being so sensitive and regulating themselves, this doesn't really improve a community; real life example tends to disprove it in some marrow-draining tragedy of the commons esque commentary on lowest common denominators in social scenarios. it tends to drag a community down into a shitfest that has little of the camraderie it might have had x number of years ago. the volume of posting in today's sinfest is kind of a product of that, and most of us who are still here after some time are a product of that self-selection. sometimes the shitfestery isn't so much of an issue as is the the overall narrowing of topics the community discusses or how stubborn and obstinate we all start to get.

as another example i am unsurprisingly familiar with and can use as a case study, i am probably still here because I am definitely not conflict averse and I do too easily attract myself to opportunities to really either engage in or observe contentious debates. There's a lot of shit I like to argue about or otherwise just even fracas for the fuck of it.

i have noticed both here and abroad in other communities that i tend to heavily 'code switch' — my mannerisms and demeanor often seem completely disparate and tailored specific to the community I am in. I am not like I am here in any other community. There are some common threads (two off-the-top-of-my-head examples: i am heavily eidactic and i have grudge 'patterning' — essentially, i shitlist people even in communities where you're expected to sort of reset your tone and attitude towards someone inbetween issues and topics. this is not always welcomed, but i feel little need to break myself of the habit) but I still can be remarkably different, to the extent you wouldn't recognize me from my posting here.

so the way i still interface and codeswitch 'into' sinfest does really give me some insight into both what i still manage to find or appreciate sinfest's remaining community for, as well as the general contempt i hold over what things led to whatever changes in sinfest's direction. it's hard to not have some degree of resentment over some otherwise ridiculous idea of what 'could have been' -- because that's a bunch of starry eyed bullshit thinking. but when you've been a part of a place for most of your adult life, even if it's some corny shitheaded bunch of misanthropes congregating in the forum of some weird webcomic fossil leftover from the earliest dredges of paleo-webcomicery, you get sentimental in weird ways. sometimes, i'm fucking mad and i'm a fucking asshole because i still in some way am ticked off when people are still jabbing this lumbering hulk in a way which is pretty poisonous to potential growth. i mean, come on, look at general discussion these days. one dude who should have been banned fucking years ago (and in any forum without a brain-dead moderator, would have been banned fucking years ago) is at-will interjecting himself in an utterly contemptuous and lunatic fashion wherever he pleases and driving a lot of commentary into the ground. it is somewhat hard to ignore! i don't want this shit around anymore. knowing eiden has some bearing on that — eiden keeps occasionally mentioning how she wants to un-lurk but certain specific elements make her wary of doing so because if there's people around like thy brilliance who weirdly stow away any hint of personal information about her and later use it like ammunition in his demented, bipolar assaults on people's character, she will always have a huge shields-up wall preventing any sort of genuine personally invested interaction with the community and has to remain a near total cypher so that creepy weirdos don't harass her with personal life details. something which would get you punted the fuck out in nearly any other shithole community on the internet.

unfortunately there seems to be no way to petition for change in this affair so we just carry on as-is. i don't make a big deal about it usually and wouldn't really make much of it if i finally drop out as well. there wouldn't be any big grandstanding 'well i'm out, sincerely, a formerly super important forum king or whatever' — i'd just vanish, and accept that i'm not really letting go of a community so much as just accepting that whatever the community still is anymore it's not what it was when i was interested in being a part of it or whatever. it would be absorbing and recognizing old, slow losses.

and, again, that shouldn't be a big deal, right? nah, not when someplace has been your online home for what, going on fifteen years? i was on this forum in my freshman year of high school for fuck's sake.

some other people have been here for a similarly long time and feel the same pangs of "stop fucking with this shit you motherfuck prickbags, this place has sentimental value, fuck you, stop ruining it and making it stink with your smeared shit oh my god" and get territorial and stir some shit as well. especially when tat's relatively recent hard spin into second-wave radical feminist political tracting pulls so many fucking imbecile neanderthal misogynist dickballs into the forum for this month's latest As A Man assblastery. You get programmed subtly and overtly to really side eye the Outsider and the Other when any one taintsucking cashewdick might be That One who if you let him get too attached to the community is going to get habituated and realize he's free to spray his fungal redpill-nosed musk out at you all and be as firmly and implacably un-oustable as our resident lifetime disappointment award-grade barrelchewers and unmedicated ocd borderline cases.

so there's your story about why this forum's so 'grumpy' at each other.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit, that really spells it all out
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
forum is essentially unmoderated. this is something that works ok if there is the absence of a few potential situations, but those potentials come around eventually and can cause a community to grind down and shed a lot of their more productive and positive aspects, and what's left behind is progressively more and more shitheaded and mean and resilient, aka 'grouchy.'

even just one ultra corrosive individual can undo years of slow, potentially progressive growth. one forum user eventually unloaded his resentment at the community by flooding it with relentless hostility and actually slutshamed some women off the forum, including msfrisby, and overall i think the end tally of people he caused to move off the forum got up to about nine long-time users who were very positive contributions.

and he was far from the only one. over time, it's a staccato beat that wears out a forum, especially if the forum starts moving to a period of lean growth or decline (i.e., more users washing out than registering/coming in)

when any one individual is potentially empowered through a lack of moderation to have that kind of significant power over a forum community, the community engages in a pattern of self-selection for voluntary withdrawal. A lot of otherwise kind and conflict averse people leave, and over time and given a repeat pattern of corrosion in this particular manner, the ones who tend to stay behind are those who are either conflict prone or can otherwise tune out the conflict when they choose and are not significantly harmed by, you know, awful people doing awful things.

as a particular example i'm familiar with so can kind of use as a case study, msfrisby was one such example of this. she was one of the best things this forum ever had going for it! she got chased off in one wildly misogynistic shame-spree by a dude who kept calling her a fat slut and other things. as long as this is the environment that pervades in a forum that is expected to 'self regulate' or just 'not feed the trolls,' you lose your chill peeps over time and the baseline tone and attitude of the posters just becomes more shrill, vituperous, sardonic, and hard-edged.

contrary to most people's assumptions about being a bunch of big boy people in their big boy pants not being so sensitive and regulating themselves, this doesn't really improve a community; real life example tends to disprove it in some marrow-draining tragedy of the commons esque commentary on lowest common denominators in social scenarios. it tends to drag a community down into a shitfest that has little of the camraderie it might have had x number of years ago. the volume of posting in today's sinfest is kind of a product of that, and most of us who are still here after some time are a product of that self-selection. sometimes the shitfestery isn't so much of an issue as is the the overall narrowing of topics the community discusses or how stubborn and obstinate we all start to get.

as another example i am unsurprisingly familiar with and can use as a case study, i am probably still here because I am definitely not conflict averse and I do too easily attract myself to opportunities to really either engage in or observe contentious debates. There's a lot of shit I like to argue about or otherwise just even fracas for the fuck of it.

i have noticed both here and abroad in other communities that i tend to heavily 'code switch' — my mannerisms and demeanor often seem completely disparate and tailored specific to the community I am in. I am not like I am here in any other community. There are some common threads (two off-the-top-of-my-head examples: i am heavily eidactic and i have grudge 'patterning' — essentially, i shitlist people even in communities where you're expected to sort of reset your tone and attitude towards someone inbetween issues and topics. this is not always welcomed, but i feel little need to break myself of the habit) but I still can be remarkably different, to the extent you wouldn't recognize me from my posting here.

so the way i still interface and codeswitch 'into' sinfest does really give me some insight into both what i still manage to find or appreciate sinfest's remaining community for, as well as the general contempt i hold over what things led to whatever changes in sinfest's direction. it's hard to not have some degree of resentment over some otherwise ridiculous idea of what 'could have been' -- because that's a bunch of starry eyed bullshit thinking. but when you've been a part of a place for most of your adult life, even if it's some corny shitheaded bunch of misanthropes congregating in the forum of some weird webcomic fossil leftover from the earliest dredges of paleo-webcomicery, you get sentimental in weird ways. sometimes, i'm fucking mad and i'm a fucking asshole because i still in some way am ticked off when people are still jabbing this lumbering hulk in a way which is pretty poisonous to potential growth. i mean, come on, look at general discussion these days. one dude who should have been banned fucking years ago (and in any forum without a brain-dead moderator, would have been banned fucking years ago) is at-will interjecting himself in an utterly contemptuous and lunatic fashion wherever he pleases and driving a lot of commentary into the ground. it is somewhat hard to ignore! i don't want this shit around anymore. knowing eiden has some bearing on that — eiden keeps occasionally mentioning how she wants to un-lurk but certain specific elements make her wary of doing so because if there's people around like thy brilliance who weirdly stow away any hint of personal information about her and later use it like ammunition in his demented, bipolar assaults on people's character, she will always have a huge shields-up wall preventing any sort of genuine personally invested interaction with the community and has to remain a near total cypher so that creepy weirdos don't harass her with personal life details. something which would get you punted the fuck out in nearly any other shithole community on the internet.

unfortunately there seems to be no way to petition for change in this affair so we just carry on as-is. i don't make a big deal about it usually and wouldn't really make much of it if i finally drop out as well. there wouldn't be any big grandstanding 'well i'm out, sincerely, a formerly super important forum king or whatever' — i'd just vanish, and accept that i'm not really letting go of a community so much as just accepting that whatever the community still is anymore it's not what it was when i was interested in being a part of it or whatever. it would be absorbing and recognizing old, slow losses.

and, again, that shouldn't be a big deal, right? nah, not when someplace has been your online home for what, going on fifteen years? i was on this forum in my freshman year of high school for fuck's sake.

some other people have been here for a similarly long time and feel the same pangs of "stop fucking with this shit you motherfuck prickbags, this place has sentimental value, fuck you, stop ruining it and making it stink with your smeared shit oh my god" and get territorial and stir some shit as well. especially when tat's relatively recent hard spin into second-wave radical feminist political tracting pulls so many fucking imbecile neanderthal misogynist dickballs into the forum for this month's latest As A Man assblastery. You get programmed subtly and overtly to really side eye the Outsider and the Other when any one taintsucking cashewdick might be That One who if you let him get too attached to the community is going to get habituated and realize he's free to spray his fungal redpill-nosed musk out at you all and be as firmly and implacably un-oustable as our resident lifetime disappointment award-grade barrelchewers and unmedicated ocd borderline cases.

so there's your story about why this forum's so 'grumpy' at each other.

So the mighty sam finally broke down after only about a year of ignoring him and destroying his narrative.

Thought he would have lasted longer than that.

Here's all the proof you'll ever need that sam is just a snake in the grass who pretends to be someone he is not, steals content from others and passes it off as his own, and calls his internet friends to support him in communities that they were never part of, and many other juicy tidbits.

He knew very well that I could see him for what he was, and now he has revealed this to you.

Much better than any apology he could have ever given me.

Gonna laugh at this for a while.

Did you think that the community was ever going to improve if your utopia involved insulting the called "trash" off the forum like a genocidal maniac?

No, a dictator like you must now realize that you have to accept people for who they are.

No matter what they say, no matter what they do, you must accept them.

You gotta be polite sam.

I know right now you are having a temper tantrum because things aren't going your way, but now you finally have a reason to grow up.

You can still have that utopian community you've always wanted sam, you just gotta be willing to teach people to accept your ideals.

Is that so hard?

Remember sam, I never broke a single forum rule in any of my posts.

But you are in fact guilty of cyber bullying many people off the forum as well as many other concerning transgressions of which I will not name.

Frankly, if I presented my case to tat, there's a good chance I could get you banned.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're too weak minded and fucking crazy to hold out with the whole thing where you said you'd keep me blocked unless I 'apologized to you in PM'

Keep externalizing.

Go. Go to Tat and try to get me banned. Don't welsh out. Go try right now. Get going. Go on.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Go. Go to Tat and try to get me banned. Don't welsh out. Go try right now. Get going. Go on.

Tatsuya: please read this thread. I will be PM'ing you to read this thread. If there is literally any substance to what this delusional dickhole is saying, say it right now. Say it yourself.

Otherwise, most everyone else on the entire forum is IMPLORING you to PLEASE get rid of this guy. He's insane. He's literally insane. He has legitimate 100% obvious mental breakdowns on this forum and he harasses other users with personal information that he squirrels away and affronts people with at any opportunity. He thinks he is doing so with either your blessing or your tacit approval of some sort. He keeps namedropping you like you've got his back with your inaction or something.

Him posting here is not good for either the community or for him. He has gone to some really scary and delusional places. Ten minutes of reading through his post history is sufficient to investigate this.

There are plenty of us amply desiring for him to stop posting and do something else with his life. I sincerely affirm that he is somewhat toxic to the community and he has individually pledged to pretty much keep up with his act at his own leisure unless you step in.

Please step in. Please do something.

Sincerely, Sam.

as for you, Thy: I have little concern nor regard for your psychotic blather towards me because you are literally mentally ill to a disturbing degree and you have become neurotic about me and I trigger you into neurotic, delusional confrontation. I am not in the least concerned about how you describe me because it's obviously false and nobody believes you, so it's totally toothless. Grow up. Leave the forum. Don't talk to me. Thanks.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
I see you're too weak minded and fucking crazy to hold out with the whole thing where you said you'd keep me blocked unless I 'apologized to you in PM'

Keep externalizing.

You know people tip me off to what you say?

I'm not stupid sam.

Blocking you was a favor.

I gave you a chance to redeem yourself.

And what did you do instead?

You took every potshot you could take at me.

You could have just forgotten about me, and moved on with your life.

But insulting me was more important.

It revealed your true character.

Blocking you served it's purpose, as you will soon realize.

I feel no hatred in my heart anymore, only pity.

If it is possible, I would like to be your friend.

Can you find it in yours to consider that position?

Or will you reject another reconciliation?
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy:

1. Your definition of 'redemption' is mostly psychotic and mostly about your own insecurities. You dress up these things as my 'wasting' my opportunities to be 'redeemed' by you when it is painfully obvious that you need some way to reconcile people calling you out for who you are. It's why you become progressively demented about people who call you on your shit and cause you dissonance with your whole bipolar shpiels and assaults on other people, and the end result is that you just convince yourself of a host of sincerely delusional falsehoods about other people and assail them with these falsehoods constantly. You are a liar and a dissembler. The least credit I can give you is that I don't really blame you for these things because this is obviously a personal struggle with mental illness that makes this ultimately not totally your fault or malevolent in the typical manner. We shouldn't be party to it. We don't want to be party to it. But you express such vile bullshit to so many people here that you make it our business and we have to tell you to fuck off. So, fuck off. Go get a therapist (or a better therapist). Let your insane little quest go. Drop your end of the pseudofeud. Goodbye.

2. I have little concern nor regard for your psychotic blather towards me because you are literally mentally ill to a disturbing degree and you have become neurotic about me and I trigger you into neurotic, delusional confrontation. I am not in the least concerned about how you describe me because it's obviously false and nobody believes you, so it's totally toothless. Grow up. Leave the forum. Don't talk to me. Thanks.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Sam wrote:

Tatsuya: please read this thread. I will be PM'ing you to read this thread. If there is literally any substance to what this delusional dickhole is saying, say it right now. Say it yourself.

Otherwise, most everyone else on the entire forum is IMPLORING you to PLEASE get rid of this guy. He's insane. He's literally insane. He has legitimate 100% obvious mental breakdowns on this forum and he harasses other users with personal information that he squirrels away and affronts people with at any opportunity. He thinks he is doing so with either your blessing or your tacit approval of some sort. He keeps namedropping you like you've got his back with your inaction or something.

Him posting here is not good for either the community or for him. He has gone to some really scary and delusional places. Ten minutes of reading through his post history is sufficient to investigate this.

There are plenty of us amply desiring for him to stop posting and do something else with his life. I sincerely affirm that he is somewhat toxic to the community and he has individually pledged to pretty much keep up with his act at his own leisure unless you step in.

Please step in. Please do something.

Sincerely, Sam.

as for you, Thy: I have little concern nor regard for your psychotic blather towards me because you are literally mentally ill to a disturbing degree and you have become neurotic about me and I trigger you into neurotic, delusional confrontation. I am not in the least concerned about how you describe me because it's obviously false and nobody believes you, so it's totally toothless. Grow up. Leave the forum. Don't talk to me. Thanks.

Yet you are the one so emotional about this.

Look at your tone.

Look at your first post man.

I'm not the one being unhinged here.

Can you breathe and calm down.

Please sam, you are on tilt.

take a break, just 5 minutes

You know I am perfectly sane, and right now you are having a temper tantrum.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not in any position to understand my mental state, you wouldn't believe me if I told you what it really was and it contradicted your internal narrative about me, and I have no requirement to justify my "emotionality" to you, and it has no bearing on the substance of what I'm stating about you. Presently, I'm pretty calm and collected on the subject of Thy. I'm actually mostly just laughing and saying "jesus christ get a load of this guy" — you don't enrage me, I mainly just find you comically, catastrophically tragic. I am legitimately sorry that you have to try to drag the forum into your warped bullshit. By now you have come up with so many bullshit narratives about my state of mind (once you said I was intimidated by you and that's why I act the way I do, haha, really?) that by now none of them have any meaning.

so, to recap: I have little concern nor regard for your psychotic blather towards me because you are literally mentally ill to a disturbing degree and you have become neurotic about me and I trigger you into neurotic, delusional confrontation. I am not in the least concerned about how you describe me because it's obviously false and nobody believes you, so it's totally toothless. Grow up. Leave the forum. Don't talk to me. Thanks.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
shit, that really spells it all out

It really does. I mean, I haven't even been here for the many years a lot of the regulars have and I've seen the same pattern repeat several times over the past one and a half years. We seem to be in one of those rough periods at the moment, I can only hope it settles down relatively soon.

Quote:

Cosigned. I mean, even the people who come in to complain about feminism and argue with everyone think Thy's insane. Honestly, is there a single person who thinks he isn't? He's either delusional or pretending to be, and either way to keep it up for so long he has to be some kind of disturbed.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Thy:

1. Your definition of 'redemption' is mostly psychotic and mostly about your own insecurities. You dress up these things as my 'wasting' my opportunities to be 'redeemed' by you when it is painfully obvious that you need some way to reconcile people calling you out for who you are. It's why you become progressively demented about people who call you on your shit and cause you dissonance with your whole bipolar shpiels and assaults on other people, and the end result is that you just convince yourself of a host of sincerely delusional falsehoods about other people and assail them with these falsehoods constantly. You are a liar and a dissembler. The least credit I can give you is that I don't really blame you for these things because this is obviously a personal struggle with mental illness that makes this ultimately not totally your fault or malevolent in the typical manner. We shouldn't be party to it. We don't want to be party to it. But you express such vile bullshit to so many people here that you make it our business and we have to tell you to fuck off. So, fuck off. Go get a therapist (or a better therapist). Let your insane little quest go. Drop your end of the pseudofeud. Goodbye.

2. I have little concern nor regard for your psychotic blather towards me because you are literally mentally ill to a disturbing degree and you have become neurotic about me and I trigger you into neurotic, delusional confrontation. I am not in the least concerned about how you describe me because it's obviously false and nobody believes you, so it's totally toothless. Grow up. Leave the forum. Don't talk to me. Thanks.

Tell me sam, is that how you handle undesirables?

I'm giving you plenty of chances.

And all you are doing right now is shooting yourself in the foot.

You're just repeating things I said back at me.

This is how far down the rabbit hole you are.

You're not even thinking before you type.

This is raw sam fear looking at me.

And it's sad to look at.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
You are not in any position to understand my mental state, you wouldn't believe me if I told you what it really was and it contradicted your internal narrative about me, and I have no requirement to justify my "emotionality" to you, and it has no bearing on the substance of what I'm stating about you. Presently, I'm pretty calm and collected on the subject of Thy. I'm actually mostly just laughing and saying "jesus christ get a load of this guy" — you don't enrage me, I mainly just find you comically, catastrophically tragic. I am legitimately sorry that you have to try to drag the forum into your warped bullshit. By now you have come up with so many bullshit narratives about my state of mind (once you said I was intimidated by you and that's why I act the way I do, haha, really?) that by now none of them have any meaning.

so, to recap: I have little concern nor regard for your psychotic blather towards me because you are literally mentally ill to a disturbing degree and you have become neurotic about me and I trigger you into neurotic, delusional confrontation. I am not in the least concerned about how you describe me because it's obviously false and nobody believes you, so it's totally toothless. Grow up. Leave the forum. Don't talk to me. Thanks.

Fine, I'll entertain your neurosis.

Let's say I leave.

Then what sam.

You gonna be happy then?

Is my presence really causing you that much harm?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: