welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Female researcher 'accidentaly' discovers superbattery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Blue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Female researcher 'accidentaly' discovers superbattery Reply with quote

This morning, I read today's comic a few times. About the building grounds and the workers who shouted foul things at 'Nique and her girlfriend.

I couldn't really relate. I still cannot. Maybe just because I don't experience it in reallife, and as a girl in IT, I'm pretty used to male rants of that sort. They're just alpha monkeys high on hormones, someone said in today's comic thread.

But that kept me thinking. And tonight I saw this article:
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-battery-can-be-recharged-hundreds-thousands-times

And I sighed. Read it again. Picked out some words that tickled me - in a bad way.

Quote:
A Researcher Just Accidentally Developed (...)

Here, I could interpret that no commercial company, especially not battery companies, would sing joy over this discovery. But that wasn't quite the thing.

Quote:
The researchers, whose findings are published in (...)

“Mya was playing around, and she coated this whole thing with a very thin gel layer and started to cycle it,” said senior author Reginald Penner (...)

I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Did you just say that your respected co-author was 'playing around'? Like a toddler with a toy? Did you really, 'senior' author?

Why does it look like she wasn't interviewed herself? SHE did the discovery. Now some senior talks about it like she was just a kid. No offense, but that's how I read it. If you ask me - if it had been a guy, this story would have been written down so differently.

Any words on this? Or am I just overreacting due to the thing that got me thinking this morning?
Echo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's quoted at the end of the article:

Quote:
“The coated electrode holds its shape much better, making it a more reliable option,” Thai said. “This research proves that a nanowire-based battery electrode can have a long lifetime and that we can make these kinds of batteries a reality.”

The "senior author" quoted is also
Quote:
chair of UCI’s chemistry department

Some of the more academic-oriented types here can probably comment more authoratitively, but this sort of "department chair jumps all over the press release of your discovery" is... probably not gender biased, but probably happens to all juniors who make something good.

I do think the "playing around" language is deeply unhelpful, mind.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, except ask any scientist, and they will admit that what they love about science is the way they get to play around with stuff. and a lot of that is real - you get an off-the-wall idea (i.e., something that is not the logical result of dozens of studies), you give it a try and hey - it works! so she really might just have been "playing around". she may have played around with a whole bunch of other things, but this is the only one that worked.

and yeah, it's pretty usual to interview the head guy - he's the one whose name the university will give the reporters, and he (or she) has some sort of track record for handling publicity. i wouldn't say he "jumped all over" the press release - he did give her full credit.

so sorry, Dark Blue - i understand your concerns, but i think you are overreacting a bit. i think you need to focus more on _not_ getting used to the rants of your male coworkers; focus on giving them a clue. because while they may act like monkeys, they aren't. we should insist that they act like humans.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Humans should act like apes, not monkeys!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Media access: Radio programs/stations may, for a fee, use an on-campus ISDN line to interview UC Irvine faculty and experts, subject to availability and university approval."

Pretty much the same for most universities: if you're not faculty (and sometimes even if you are faculty, but not high enough up the totem pole), the university is going to steer the media towards the unit/dept head. This a) makes the university look more involved in the research and b) guards against someone saying something dumb in front of the media.
Pineapple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah like if I were to discover something big while I'm still working at my current university, assuming I didn't keep it separate from the university and present it as my own thing since the things they actually have me doing are too dumb to mean anything so I could probably manage that, just make sure nothing important is on school equipment....

anyway, if I were to discover something while working with this particular university and was contacted by the media about it, my comments would very likely include a rant against my university. I would intentionally give them bad publicity.

I have no reason to hold back. I'm not truly faculty. I'm classified as faculty whenever that's the worst thing for me and as a student whenever_that's_ the worst thing for me. And I'm leaving soon.

ergo they should have someone else talk about what I did
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineapple wrote:

It should be the Shamwow guy from TV, I've seen him on the TV talking about Shamwow - he's fucking great.
Vixine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Pineapple wrote:

It should be the Shamwow guy from TV, I've seen him on the TV talking about Shamwow - he's fucking great.

Vince whatever his name is? I thought he got arrested for punching a woman. Not someone I'd prefer to give work to.
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vixine wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:
Pineapple wrote:

Vince whatever his name is? I thought he got arrested for punching a woman. Not someone I'd prefer to give work to.

But ... but ... Slap!Chop!

Actually it's only now that I'm looking that I realise he was an American 'internet comedian', and also a terrible human. I thought he was just a terrible human.

Off-topic, but people are giving 'comedy' a really bad name over the last ten years when they state that they're 'internet comedians' or 'internet comedy writers'. Adding the word 'internet' to your unrequested comedic stylings just apparently means you get to feel sore about your racist / sexist / anybody-but-me-ist 'pranks' being called out as pure cuntism.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I was thinking of Billy Mays anyways.
Dark Blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so sorry, Dark Blue - i understand your concerns, but i think you are overreacting a bit.

Glad if I am. I wouldn't want to see the world this way every day.

mouse wrote:
i think you need to focus more on _not_ getting used to the rants of your male coworkers; focus on giving them a clue. because while they may act like monkeys, they aren't. we should insist that they act like humans.

Personally, no. That's one reason why I operate better in an environment where the majority is male. They just say what they think. No grudges, no hidden agendas.

They do say things about bonus points, or melons (usually meaning boobs), or peaches ..., which apply to me, or to women in general, but why would I feel offended. If they do not say it, they would at least think it, or chat to each other about it. I'm rather taken along in those conversations, than omitted.

In a way, women tend to be more decent in that, but that also creates a lot of things unsaid, which imho builds up gossip and grudges.

I'm just not the type for that truly feminine approach, I think. Smile
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... ugh. Not being dominated by male "banter" doesn't imply "female catty" behaviour or leaving things "unsaid".

Don't go for the "blokey" approach or the "feminine" approach. Just be adults and respect each other.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't get that either. I usually work with men, I'm fine with that. But they learn very quickly not to use sexist language around me. I can't stop them thinking it, no, but I can most certainly teach them what their words really mean. Well. The ones under 40, I can. There's a rather steep watershed around that age.

And I don't know about you, but I do not gossip or hold grudges and I'd thank you not to imply such to be "truly feminine".
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes to all that. and really, no to "you can't change the way people think".

people in general, and (in this case) men in particular, think and say the things they do because they figure it's OK, everyone else does it, it doesn't mean anything, fill in the blank. and they do it because they don't ever stop to think what impact what they say has on other people. so hey, no biggies if you are commenting right in front of a woman about her physical attributes.

but ask yourself - would they say similar things, in a similar situation, if the person they were talking about were an amputee or had a disfiguring scar? or if they were of another race? probably not, because a) they understand that such things are not socially acceptable and b) they might even have some empathy for that person. yes, they may still _think_ things - but they know it's bad to say, and they may even feel bad for thinking what they do think. and that's the start of change.

so it behooves us to point out that, when they make sexist remarks, it is _not_ ok. it's not acceptable. and maybe, maybe, it will arouse in them just a little empathy...and once they have that, they may even stop thinking like that.

as long as you just shrug it off, they will keep doing it, and they will keep supporting other guys who do it, and they are going to do it to woman who _do_ find it hurtful.

and i work in a place that is almost entirely female - have never seen anyone holding grudges, or leaving necessary things unsaid, or any of these things you think are "feminine".* the fact that you would sign on to this stereotype (which is the sort of thing men say about women) reinforces the notion that you really need to be thinking more about what you are accepting from those guys you work with.

*gossiping is _human_. seriously, some of the worst gossips i have known have been men.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine how off-putting that would be if other women tried to work there & discovered how unprofessional the place was because of crude, sexist comments.
http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=505578#505578

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: