welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE RUINED FOREVER
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE RUINED FOREVER Reply with quote

YEAHHH BROOOOOOOO

The supreme court ruling today:

Quote:
"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered."

The only way this can be better is if Scalia is writing the dissent, and I get to laugh at that mendicant, troglodytic fossil gettin' his jimmy-jams in a caterwauly jump-a-skitter bout all sort-a these gay things, i reckon
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33290341
Quote:
"We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat," said Mike Huckabee, Republican presidential candidate and former Arkansas governor.

"The only outcome worse than this flawed, failed decision would be for the president and congress, two co-equal branches of government, to surrender in the face of this out-of-control act of unconstitutional, judicial tyranny."
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND NOW WE ALL HAVE THE GAY

THANKS OBAMA
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turns out all four of the nay votes hammered out a bitter mash of impotent objection. i get a scalia dissent and a thomas dissent. my cup runneth over
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Scalia at his best:

Quote:
He also bemoans the tone.

"The opinion is couched in a style that is as pretentious as its content is egotistic," he writes. "If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: 'The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,' I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/26/antonin-scalia-dissent_n_7671110.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is now clear that the challenged laws burden the liberty of same-sex couples, and it must be further acknowledged that they abridge central precepts of equality . . . Especially against a long history of disapproval of their relationships, this denial to same-sex couples of the right to marry works a grave and continuing harm. The imposition of this disability on gays and lesbians serves to disrespect and subordinate them. And the Equal Protection Clause, like the Due Process Clause, prohibits this unjustified infringement of the fundamental right to marry."
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a friend on fb:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE RUINED FOREVER Reply with quote

All four dissenting justices are writing their own dissent.

Scalia is crazilarious as usual, except more than usual:

Quote:
"I join THE CHIEF JUSTICE’s opinion in full. I write separately to call attention to this Court’s threat to American democracy," he begins.

"The substance of today’s decree is not of immense personal importance to me," he offers. "It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today’s decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court. Until the courts put a stop to it, public debate over same-sex marriage displayed American democracy at its best."
'The nature of marriage is that, through its enduring bond, two persons together can find other freedoms, such as expression, intimacy, and spirituality,'" he quoted from the majority opinion before adding, "Really? Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms? And if intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie."

How do you even begin to unpack how wrong that is?

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Justice Thomas's dissent:

Quote:
Perhaps recognizing that these cases do not actually involve liberty as it has been understood, the majority goes to great lengths to assert that its decision will advance the “dignity” of same-sex couples. Ante, at 3, 13, 26, 28. 8 The flaw in that reasoning, of course, is that the Constitution contains no “dignity” Clause, and even if it did, the government would be incapable of bestowing dignity.
Human dignity has long been understood in this country to be innate. When the Framers proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence that “all men are created equal” and “endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,” they referred to a vision of mankind in which all humans are created in the image of God and therefore of inherent worth. That vision is the foundation upon which this Nation was built.
The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.
The majority’s musings are thus deeply misguided, but at least those musings can have no effect on the dignity of the persons the majority demeans. Its mischaracterization of the arguments presented by the States and their amici can have no effect on the dignity of those litigants. Its rejection of laws preserving the traditional definition of marriage can have no effect on the dignity of the people who voted for them. Its invalidation of those laws can have no effect on the dignity of the people who continue to adhere to the traditional definition of marriage. And its disdain for the understandings of liberty and dignity upon which this Nation was founded can have no effect on the dignity of Americans who continue to believe in them.

I would point out that even in his formulation of the argument, Thomas is mischaracterizing the decision. It goes on about recognizing existing dignity that had been denied by the force of law, not handing out new dignities where there were none before.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the actual fuck
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like really what the actual fuck

what

what
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an awesome argument because it would mean there was actually nothing wrong with slavery, because hey man it's not like it took away your dignity and humanity so y'know whatever man *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't even.
KillAllMen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to Glenn Beck have his meltdown on the way in to work was a thing of beauty.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schadenfreude is delicious right now.
I'm just worried the "TYRANNY" rhetoric will incite some foamy-lipped nutjob to actually get off his couch and go put some bullets into something or somebody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: