welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

18 Nov 2012 - Conch Shell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is usually about the time Guest starts using my real name, like he's my dad or something. Let's see what happens!
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3272

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
This is usually about the time Guest starts using my real name, like he's my dad or something. Let's see what happens!


Are you having as many doubts as to the veracity of his claims of how irrational and insane his mother is as I am now?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does she keep asking me to lock the door when I leave her home alone? Doesn't she know that statistically the chance of a home invasion is remote? I can't stand this irrational fear of being brutalized, I need to go post about it on the Internet!


... Really, it wouldn't surprise me if his mom were crazy and irrational, and the negative effect that's had on him causes him to react harshly to the thoughts and feelings of all women, painting them with the same irrational brush. But that's about as far as I want to get in his psyche.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't fault you for being afraid of bees. They sting. I felt it before. I was attacked by a swarm once. I was riding my bike with a soda in hand from Circle K and I guess they took a liking to my soda. These, in fact, WERE killer bees. I could feel one land on the back of my head, burrowing past my hair, and it started stinging me.

I bailed from my bike and started swinging my backpack around like some whirling demon, realized that I was getting nowhere, and left to regroup. So, being afraid of bees to me is reasonable.

And you are right that it is a bit sick to laugh at someone, and to persecute anyone not like you...but come on.

It's freakin' pickles.

I'm all for being mindful, but at times you just got to appreciate the absurdity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The douchebag is the person who acts out of a sense of condescension, who refers to people's fears as delusions, and who expects people to behave rationally because he wants them to (people act irrationally all the time, and believe irrational things at alarming rates... are you this militant about all of them?). The douchebag is the person who sees a woman saying, "I live in fear," and their first reaction is to belittle her as paranoid.


So I'm a douchebag for thinking that this woman suffers from a delusion, rather than an irrational fear? I suppose those that think vaccines cause autism, and foetuses that gets condemned to hell (a segue to the woman in Ireland who died from an infection due to having a clearly dead foetus in her womb) are fine in their irrational behaviour, but never delusional. I'm "militant" to this woman because she makes the case for women to be frightened that all men interested in them are potential rapists (and/or in her case potential murderers who would leave her in a ditch) and people like you parroting her fears as though they were reasonable. That's what I'm "militant" about since, well, irrational fears are called that because they're, well, irrational.

Quote:
You're not arguing facts. You're just using them as a blind you can hind behind while you mock women (if you've tried this hard to mock a man for a similarly irrational belief, I've missed it).


For someone who argues facts until he's blue in the face (just in case you're being extra thick today: that's an expression), you sure are quick to accept whatever this woman says. But no, I don't "mock women" as you so glibly assert. I mock this woman. Woman. Singular.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But in the moment where you're face to face with someone - anyone - and you make them scared... For fucks sake, apologize and take a step back, you lumbering antisocial fuck.

Where have I said I wouldn't?

I guess I did, since you've never really shown much consideration for how women feel, but seem focused on the irrationality of their fear and how "delusional" they might be. I'd have an easier time ascribing compassion to you if you ever seemed to care about their emotional state rather than focusing on what's wrong with it. Totally subjective, naturally. I'm sure you're a big cuddly teddy bear in person, who nurtures them emotionally as you mock their irrational behavior.


I'm sorry, but are you having a problem with distinguishing between when someone is speaking specifically or generally about something?

So, in your own words, you're making the subjective case that I don't care for women because you think so? Nothing concrete to back it up, just gut feeling. Excellent.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Succubus1982



Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 919
Location: England

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
I wouldn't fault you for being afraid of bees. They sting. I felt it before. I was attacked by a swarm once. I was riding my bike with a soda in hand from Circle K and I guess they took a liking to my soda. These, in fact, WERE killer bees. I could feel one land on the back of my head, burrowing past my hair, and it started stinging me.

I bailed from my bike and started swinging my backpack around like some whirling demon, realized that I was getting nowhere, and left to regroup. So, being afraid of bees to me is reasonable.

And you are right that it is a bit sick to laugh at someone, and to persecute anyone not like you...but come on.

It's freakin' pickles.

I'm all for being mindful, but at times you just got to appreciate the absurdity.


Bumblebees would not sting, if they did they would die. Yet I am afraid of them. Ergo irrational. And how do you know she didn't have a traumatic incident with a pickle as a child? Maybe a jar fell on her head or something or she was locked in a shed and fed only pickles. You haven't experienced her life so you can't judge whether she has a right to her fear or not.

Also it's not just bees at this point, it used to be but now it's progressed to pretty much any flying insect, including moths. I will legitimately scream and run if a moth comes near me. Find a logical reason for that!


Last edited by Succubus1982 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mizike



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 5125
Location: Iowa City

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest, you've already shown that you don't care if girls who aren't old enough to give consent are sexualized.

Edited for context
_________________
Scire aliquid laus est, pudor est non discere velle
"It is laudable to know something, it is disgraceful to not want to learn"
~Seneca


Last edited by Mizike on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Why does she keep asking me to lock the door when I leave her home alone? Doesn't she know that statistically the chance of a home invasion is remote? I can't stand this irrational fear of being brutalized, I need to go post about it on the Internet!


... Really, it wouldn't surprise me if his mom were crazy and irrational, and the negative effect that's had on him causes him to react harshly to the thoughts and feelings of all women, painting them with the same irrational brush. But that's about as far as I want to get in his psyche.


Ironically, while my mum may be one of the most irrational people alive (due to many factors which I won't divulge here or we'll be here all day [yes, the list is that long]), that's one of the irrationalities she does not have. She also doesn't suffer from any irrational fears (spiders, heights, pickles) or the one recounted by ours Phaedra. (In fact, I asked her about it and she told me, point of fact, that she should grow up and grow a spine.) Dysfunctional to the last, eh?
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
You've already shown that you don't care if girls who aren't old enough to give consent are sexualized.


Err. When did I do that?
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6023
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bumblebees would not sting, if they did they would die. Yet I am afraid of them. Ergo irrational.


that bees can cause you pain by stinging you is reason enough to be afraid of them. if you're allergic to bee stings, you have all the more reason to be afraid of them.

also the fact that they are remorseless flying needles of poison who will consider their lives complete if they can inject it into you and cause you suffering is good reason to be afraid of them. and perhaps destroy them with fire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they do sting if they feel their hive is threatened, and it can happen by total accident. You could be walking in the woods, accidentally kick a hive that was blown down during a storm, and then they would attack you. And besides, at first hearing them you don't know if it is a honeybee or a killer bee. Maybe upon seeing them they are moving so fast you can't be sure.

I have thought about that while watching the clip: "What could possibly cause that reaction? What event triggered it?" It could have been a dream, perhaps she almost choked on one, etc. I used to be afraid of heights because I had a bad trampoline accident. But, you can't be afraid of falling forever.

With being afraid of pickles I can (maybe...possibly...just the tiniest bit...) understand and sympathize, but she isn't just afraid, she is allowing it to paralyze her. Whether or not the said event happened when she was younger, she really should have addressed it by now.

Not that I am belittling your point, because we should all strive to be empathetic and understanding...

BUT IT IS FREAKIN' PICKLES.

I really don't think you need to feel your fear about bees is irrational though. I think that is a perfectly normal phobia. I know I was afraid of them when I was younger. Just don't let it paralyze you to the point where you break down in tears and can't control yourself.

Edit: I realized I didn't address the part about moths. Insects are gross. I, through much squeamishness, have taught myself to reach and touch them. As a result, I am the only one in a classroom that will catch a cricket with his bare hands and let it go outside. That amazes some people, so I assume that a fear of insects is in all of us at a certain level.

What you are doing is letting the fear become worse. Try getting past that by gradual steps. Look at close up pictures of insects. If you feel yourself cringing and freaking out that is normal. Just do it enough that you don't feel yourself become freaked out by them. Let that become normal and move on from there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6023
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With being afraid of pickles I can (maybe...possibly...just the tiniest bit...) understand and sympathize, but she isn't just afraid, she is allowing it to paralyze her. Whether or not the said event happened when she was younger, she really should have addressed it by now.

Not that I am belittling your point, because we should all strive to be empathetic and understanding...

BUT IT IS FREAKIN' PICKLES.


sure, being afraid of pickles is weird and funny to everyone else. doesn't change the fact that if you're going out of your way to take advantage of her fear and making her feel afraid for your own amusement, you are a douchebag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help it. Fear of pickles. Even the name of it: picklephobia. Just gives me the giggles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B-ZoS0wvU
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1149
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Ehhhh, that about sums up the last page or so of this thread.

Also, I'd like to see guest, dogen, monkey and shadowcell meet in real life. I think that would be a whole barrel of laughs.
_________________
So I came upon a shanty town
Full of bitter men
Where carved into a crude wood sign
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3272

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:


So I'm a douchebag for thinking that this woman suffers from a delusion, rather than an irrational fear? I suppose those that think vaccines cause autism, and foetuses that gets condemned to hell (a segue to the woman in Ireland who died from an infection due to having a clearly dead foetus in her womb) are fine in their irrational behaviour, but never delusional. I'm "militant" to this woman because she makes the case for women to be frightened that all men interested in them are potential rapists (and/or in her case potential murderers who would leave her in a ditch) and people like you parroting her fears as though they were reasonable. That's what I'm "militant" about since, well, irrational fears are called that because they're, well, irrational.


Nothing like guests inabilty to pick items of the same scale when doing comparisons. Always straight to the most extreme possible comparison without any thought for what lies between.

No concern whatsoever for the fact that one "irrational" fear (which we'll just cede as irrational for now since it's frankly a matter of opinion as to what an acceptable risk of rape actually is) is at best a minor inconvenience for others to accommodate, versus these other irrational beliefs...which can kill innocent people.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 14 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group