welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

18 Nov 2012 - Conch Shell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
starkruzr



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
starkruzr wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Guest wrote:
So the Friend Zoneô only applies to people of the male persuasion?


No, men just snivel about it like it puts their ittle peeners in a vice more.

There are lots of people who can't see beyond the ends of their noses when it comes to interpersonal relationships, but shitting on them for it doesn't really accomplish anything.

When their self-destructive behavior affects other people, sure, call them out on it, but believe me, otherwise, they're suffering enough.


No, not nearly enough. Not until their suffering is enough to get them to change their behavior is it enough.


Also...no one cares what your take on things is any more guest, you've shit the bed in these kinds of conversations too often.

What? I think you're confusing me for someone else. I barely post in here.

ETA: Wait,

Quote:
If someone's behavior affects no one other than themselves, they should suffer more for it in addition.

How does this make any kind of sense?

Also, did you seriously just pull Internet Rank? What are you, 14?


Last edited by starkruzr on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
starkruzr wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Guest wrote:
So the Friend Zoneô only applies to people of the male persuasion?


No, men just snivel about it like it puts their ittle peeners in a vice more.

There are lots of people who can't see beyond the ends of their noses when it comes to interpersonal relationships, but shitting on them for it doesn't really accomplish anything.

When their self-destructive behavior affects other people, sure, call them out on it, but believe me, otherwise, they're suffering enough.


No, not nearly enough. Not until their suffering is enough to get them to change their behavior is it enough.


Are all that parrot Shakesville ropey fuckers, Monkey, or is it just you?

starkruzr wrote:
What? I think you're confusing me for someone else. I barely post in here.


He meant me. Don't worry about it.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6375

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakesville generally assumes some empathy in its audience. Monkey does not.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6038
Location: California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkruzr wrote:
Also, did you seriously just pull Internet Rank? What are you, 14?


...nnnnnno? Guest has a history on this forum of arguing for whacked-out things, like how reddit shouldn't have to take down child porn because freedom of speech, and he goes off on these tirades and eventually he throws his hands up and stomps off in a huff for a while, and at this point the best way to deal with his outbursts is to treat him like all the other consistently insane and reason-immune posters here and give him a standard form reply of "you are not credible on this issue and we do not care what you think about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1170
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity.
-Howard Roark, The Fountainhead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6038
Location: California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways, starkruzr, you seem to be conflating things here. nobody is begrudging you the right to feel bummed because someone you were interested in did not reciprocate. but, if you think you've been wronged by the other person because they did not reciprocate your interest--and that's what people generally mean when they complain about "being put in the friendzone"--then that's creepy and wrong and you should stop it.

so if you're suffering because somebody didn't live up to this illegitimate obligation they don't actually have but that you think they have, well, you brought that on yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3301

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkruzr wrote:

Quote:
If someone's behavior affects no one other than themselves, they should suffer more for it in addition.

How does this make any kind of sense?

Also, did you seriously just pull Internet Rank? What are you, 14?


If their behavior actually didn't affect people other than themselves we wouldn't even be aware of it would we?


And no, I pulled the "Superior knowledge of the posting history and habits of one sinfest poster by the forum handle of Guest" card. Its the one where the forum does not exist in a vacuum where nothing happens beyond your fairly narrow realm of experience here, and people are aware of others posting history.


Quote:
Are all that parrot Shakesville ropey fuckers, Monkey, or is it just you?


Never heard of the place before you brought it up actually.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10655
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the problem isn't that you feel bad because someone doesn't like you - that sucks. But if you characterize it as something done to you by that person ("they put me in the friend zone") then you're also a bit of a dick. There is no responsibility for the mismatch. It just is.

Also, a person who can't "see beyond the end of their nose" isn't a reason to let it slide if they're foisting responsibility for not getting a date on to someone else. The "friend zone" mentality might even be why you keep getting "put in the friend zone." Who wants to date someone that is already blaming them for shit before you even go on a date?
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
starkruzr wrote:
Also, did you seriously just pull Internet Rank? What are you, 14?


...nnnnnno? Guest has a history on this forum of arguing for whacked-out things, like how reddit shouldn't have to take down child porn because freedom of speech, and he goes off on these tirades and eventually he throws his hands up and stomps off in a huff for a while, and at this point the best way to deal with his outbursts is to treat him like all the other consistently insane and reason-immune posters here and give him a standard form reply of "you are not credible on this issue and we do not care what you think about it.


If you're going to poison the well, Shadowcell, then you better make sure you're not talking shit. Regarding Reddit, I objected to moralising posturing bellends wanting to ban and close down subreddits for what they deemed to be child porn, but wasn't. But did I object to them taking down the actual child porn? No. Funny with all your gripes about comprehension, you continue to repeat that talking point. And as for "[stomping] off in a huff", it's more to do with exasperation of dealing with know-it-alls with a penchant for bending the truth. You think I want to waste my time dealing with morons who've already made up their mind and constantly build up strawmen? That's the thing about strawmen; it's an argument that I didn't make, and now you're beating it with sticks. Meanwhile I'm over on the other side clasping my face with my palm. Case in point: the Reddit misconception.

Also, I don't think you should speak about others' 'whacked-out things'. You have your fair share.

Quote:
If someone's behavior affects no one other than themselves, they should suffer more for it in addition.


starkruzr is right; this makes zero sense.

Also, never heard of Shakesville? Blimey.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:


Love it.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3714
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I objected to moralising posturing bellends wanting to ban and close down subreddits for what they deemed to be child porn, but wasn't.


uhh... then what was it?

also, I've got to say, Guest, your Horatio Cane impersonation and use of bellend is commendable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6038
Location: California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
But did I object to them taking down the actual child porn? No.


yes, you did. you say

Quote:
My objection was to the banning of content which people disagreed with


and then say

Quote:
However, child pornography is clearly a exception to the rule


and yet the content in question was, in fact, child porn, and that is an indisputable fact that is untouched by your attempts to spin child porn into something it's not, and yet you continued to argue that this was a terrible violation of free speech because reddit was "coerced" into taking down content even when it was content that you explicitly said should be taken down.

which meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeans you were defending child porn.

awaiting complaints of "strawman." and since Nate Silver has predicted for me that there is a 93% chance that Guest will say he's being strawmanned again and continue to fail to see the logical break in his own argument, welp, qed.

incidentally, starkruzr, this is why we say that Guest pretty much shits the bed whenever he tries to talk about stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was younger I used to have a really hard time going out with people and assumed it was just because I was shy or didn't look good enough. One time there was a girl that I really, really craved and I devoted so much time to her. She seemed interested, hinted at the possibility of getting together, even told me she had been thinking about it, but then cut it short and friend zoned me.

I'm sorry to say it, but I did not handle it well.

It got to a point where I wondered if something was wrong with me. I grew very bitter toward women (and listening to Tom Lycus [as funny and entertaining as he was] didn't help). Finally, I just decided to honestly see what I was doing wrong. I went, bought a book on body language and psychology and studied it into the ground. Yes, I did buy it for the sole purpose of getting women, but it opened up my mind to how closed it had been. Reading that book is the reason why I am studying to be a psychologist (and potential psychiatrist) today.

One thing I learned is that attraction is really not that hard to incur in other people. I know there have been times where I looked at someone I wasn't attracted to in a different light and I thought to myself "Oh wow, so-and-so looks really beautiful today." The book didn't say this outright, but what I got from it was "relationships are all about timing and being open to receiving them."

Often times, "nice guys" see what they want to see and therefore misinterpret what the woman means. That is why they get so discouraged because they felt like they are being led on and lied to. But that is not the case: they were looking for the wrong signals and got the wrong impression. And quite frankly, people tend to look for things that support their desired opinions. So, this creates a bad effect for them because it reinforces the idea that women are misleading them when it was them who misinterpreted the signals.

I found myself less angry towards women as I studied people's body language, watched how they interacted, and realized that I had passed up on so many opportunities when I was younger because I was too dense to realize things.

Anyway, it was a wonderful book and I loved it. It's called "The Definitive Book of Body Language" by Allan and Barbara Pease (ISBN 0-553-80472-3). Anyway, there are people who have books that have changed their lives and this one was mine.

I got the book wondering what I was doing wrong, but then it taught me so many other things and changed my whole outlook on dealing with people.

Anyway, sorry if I sound like a salesman. It's just when it comes to the "Nice-guy" thing I can understand. It all comes from frustration. But really, if someone is not interested it is not THEIR fault. It is because you were not in the right place and you did not move in the right time. I took a chance on improving myself and it went on to so much more than that narrow focus of life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3301

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
It's just when it comes to the "Nice-guy" thing I can understand. It all comes from frustration.


The fact that someone is frustrated may be a mitigating factor among close associates and family, but among near strangers and strangers? Who fucking cares if they're frustrated? It's simply not a mitigating factor for the kind of piss poor attitudes and behaviors that surround the whole "friend zone" concept and its adherents.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10655
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we not make this thread about Guest? I enjoy being called by my proper name and being asked condescending questions ("you can't be that dense?") as much as the next guy, but we all know where it's going: Guest will never agree with anyone, he will only talk about things that make him angry, he will never change his mind, he will only complain about how close-minded and dumb we are. Since most of us have seen that film already can we skip to the ignoring him forever part?
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 4 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group