welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-11-29: Why Must You Judge Me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Do you REALLY need or want another argument over this? History shows that the "But the menfolks tooo!!!" crowd doesn't come out of it well.

Yes, it usually does, because they are usually wrong. That doesn't mean that everything said in opposition to them is right. One can make a bad argument in support of something that is true and people can call you out on it.

I suppose if you're into scoring minor points on semantics defending a shitty position on things that's a draw.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estranged wrote:
Too depressed. Too desperate. Too confused. Too weak.
Too shy. Too insecure. Too boring. Too unfun.

This is female judgement.
This is the judgement that has sent teenage boys to volunteer and die in World War I to avoid the "feathers of shame" given to them by pretty girls.

Oh, wait, I forgot. In Sinfest radfem universe female judgement does not exist. I should go back to feeling guilty now.

Are you, like, a bad parody of mens rights types or were you just raised by people who were neurotic about women, or what. what is this.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's vintage Estranged is what it is
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the same dudebro that said he wasn't going to stop blaming women for everything because it's hard and he's weak willed and lazy?
Tank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Bart wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Do you REALLY need or want another argument over this? History shows that the "But the menfolks tooo!!!" crowd doesn't come out of it well.

Yes, it usually does, because they are usually wrong. That doesn't mean that everything said in opposition to them is right. One can make a bad argument in support of something that is true and people can call you out on it.

I suppose if you're into scoring minor points on semantics defending a shitty position on things that's a draw.

I'm sorry, I wasn't really looking to defend any position, I was just trying to help someone see there own blind spot. That may have been a bit presumptuous of me, but whatever, I said what I wanted to say. I'm more than willing to drop it.
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Bart wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Pointing out that an argument in support of a position is wrong does not mean you're defending the opposite viewpoint.

Tank, no reason to apologize to Monkey. Someone made a bad argument and you pointed that out to him. With some luck he'll take your advice to heart and you'll have helped him to be able to support his position better in the future.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:

Pointing out that an argument in support of a position is wrong does not mean you're defending the opposite viewpoint.

As a demonstration of this, make up a dozen shitty arguments for the heliocentric model of the solar system and then debunk those arguments!

wheeeee
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank wrote:

I'm sorry, but I think it's a bit unfair for you to say, "I've never seen a woman attach a number to a man's body," and then dismiss someone else who says, "I've seen it more than once". You're only a sample size of one too.

generalities are always bad arguments.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and if we were talking about some scientific study a sample size of one would totally be inappropriate. But as we're discussing the human experience, actual...yknow human experience is relevant to the conversation at hand.

The fact of the matter is, its an inappropriate thing to do, done by men or women.

The other fact of the matter is that it's more prevalent and open amongst dudes. But i'm not going to waste my day doing the legwork for the dudebro crowd just so they can ignore it either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, why do they get to be the 'dudebro' crowd

dudebros sound cool, why not let other people be dudebros and instead call them entitled twits
wobster109

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipes.

Of course people of both genders rate people's looks by numbers. I've personally done it to people of both genders. That doesn't mean it's all fair and equal though, and it certainly doesn't mean there's not a problem.

As far as I can tell, a large part of the problem is that women rate men's looks when they're considering how good of a partner he'd be. In contrast, men rate women's looks ALL THE TIME, even when it's completely irrelevant. People posted on the internet that Elena Kagan was "so ugly" they'd never listen to anything "it" said. They called her fat and said she ought to be in a deli. They said she shouldn't be appointed because we'd have to watch her grow older. Isn't that silly? She's a Supreme Court justice, and male justices aren't judged for their looks, but she is ridiculed for hers.

This isn't to say that all men do it either. But if even one in 50 men did it routinely, it makes the world a pretty hostile place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: