Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12/20 just one more sinfest, guys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricksterson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Mayans thought the new cycle (not the end of the world) would be heralded by flooding so I will laugh my ass off if the Antarctic ice shelf pcks tomorrw to collapse and slide into the sea.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil deGrasse Tyson said he'd warn me if the end of the world was coming, and he's never lied to me yet. So I'm not worried.

I'm getting tired of the ends of the world. Y2K. That crazy Christian guy. The other 40-odd apocalypses I've survived. I just can't bring myself to give a damn.

Solstices are neat, though. Also, the work sock exchange happens tomorrow, which will be cool. That way if the world ends at least I'll have warm socks.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing that most impressed me at the first christmas party i went to in portland was how genuinely excited people were to get socks.

you pacific northwestern people are weird.

if the world ends tomorrow, i hope it happens in the morning, because i am staying home tomorrow to clean house for my brother's visit. and if i spend all day cleaning house and then the damn world ends, i am going to be seriously annoyed.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's already an hour into the supposed end of the world and nothings happened yet.......
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radio had a caller that was saying how "eerie" it was that the Mayans, Nostradamus, and the Hopi Native American tribe all foretold the end of the world on midnight of the 21st of December, 2012.

This is how you can tell a prophecy is bullshit, folks.

Nostradamus didn't predict anything, at any time, on any date. The Mayans didn't predict a specific time, or even say the world was going to end. I don't know shit about the Hopi indians, but if they predicted something would happen at midnight then I hope they had a firm grasp of time zones so we can tell whether that's midnight eastern, central, mountain, or pacific time. Because, naturally, the world will end at midnight American Time. So says Clueless Man on Radio.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. America is the centre of the universe. Didn't you know? Laughing
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we're the center of the universe then you have to spell it our way

c:
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I'm an anarchist. I'm rebelling. Up yours!
Tank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Tank wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
My pet theory is that if tomorrow is truly the end of an age, no one will recognize what exactly the significance of the date is until far into the future. Like some superflu will be born, but it'll be years before it becomes an actual pandemic, and it won't be until then that they trace it back and go "Huh, whadda ya know? Dec 21 Was significant. Or maybe it'll be the day the next Hitler will be born. Maybe the next Ghandi. OR Christ. OR Buddha. Doesn't matter, point is it's significance won't be recognized until long after the actual event has occurred.

I'm pretty sure that if all life on the planet is ever destroyed, by something other than the slow expansion of the sun that is, you could point to nearly any day in history and say, "Yup, that's where it all started going downhill." Except April 11, 1954.

Not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about "the end of the world as we know it", you're talking about "the end of the world". To paraphrase Mark Twain, it's the difference between a lighting bug and lightning.

Also, that's not true at all. AIDS, for instance, has been traced back to a very few people in a very small area. With faster acting diseases with greater morbidity it's very possible to trace it back to the first case.

Do you point to the day that AID first became deadly to non-human primates? The day it first developed the ability to infect humans? They day it actually first infected a human? The day an infected human made it into the larger population? The day it reached an epidemic tipping point? The day GaŽtan Dugas became infected? ll of those things contributed to it's development.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future historians will be the one to make that call, that's what I'm trying to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
It'll be the solstice!

The solstice is special.

The 22nd will be cool, too.
The days will start getting longer again.

The days here in Australia will be getting shorter - Hey! You're stealing our daylight, and summer has barely begun!

Oh well, we'll steal it back in June...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSY did it btw, on the 21st http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2251809/Gangnam-Style-breaks-YouTube-record-1-BILLION-hits.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: