welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-01-10: Repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my edit.
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
No, I push the envelope with friends all the time... the catch being that with friends I know them well enough to understand the subtext of their protestations. A total stranger would be a different story, and require contextual information, because yeah... generally I'd ask once and then leave them alone. Under certain circumstances (potential danger, for instance) I'd ask twice because the risk of appearing rude is outweighed by some other risk (in this case, danger).

That I can understand a bit more, I was kinda raised to always offer to help a second time, just in case they were trying to not be a bother. Though maybe that's what Milton was trying to do... they kinda shared the same bond, both had things that (I'm thinking) they built themselves and were destroyed. I guess if Milton knew someone to help him rebuild the eye bots he'd have asked for help. Maybe he was extending the same courtesy.

Last edited by Rothide on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
See my edit.
That was to Shadowcell, Dogen. You seem to be a little less intense about this stuff that him/her.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really wanted help, you'd say so. if you tell me you don't want my help, who am i to overrule you? the only way i can be sure of what it is you want is if you tell me, and if you tell me you don't want my help, well, that's the best understanding of your desires that i'm going to get. because i can't read your mind.

apparently i also need to make clear that this doesn't really apply to stuff like dangerous situations. on the other hand, that's also not what we're talking about.
lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobster109 wrote:

No means no in the context of sex. It doesn't mean no across the board, indiscriminately.

In a similar attitude, I asked a friend if he needed a ride home. His car had broken down. It was raining, and he was stuck at a church, and he'd promised to visit his girlfriend. "No, I'm fine", he said. Do you think he really meant that?

It turned out what he meant was "I don't want to inconvenience you with my problems." It's what people often mean, and (I think) a reasonable interpretation of "no thanks".

I don't think Glossie is terrible for saying "no thanks". But I won't condemn Milton for offering a second time.

Well, no. "No" still means "no." You described situations where the person lied. It does not change the meaning of "no." (Rothide, this applies to what you said too.)

As for the last bit, cool. You don't have to condemn Milton. I'm saying that we shouldn't condemn Glossy either, like many are doing.

Seriously, I often ask twice myself. It doesn't change the fact that the person saying "no" has the right to get annoyed. You essentially just ignored that person, whether you meant well or not.
wobster109

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. I'm not happy about how Glossie acted there, but it wasn't because she refused help. She has the right to accept or refuse help as she wishes. I'm sad that she'd be scornful towards someone who was trying to be friendly. She's the aggressor in this one, taking the first jab, giving the personal insult. I'm relieved that Milton didn't hear the subtext in her words: no, I don't want help from you you immoral scum.
Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that Glossy had 3 eyebot stencils on her bumper for 3 kills. I can't find the exact strip but I'm sure I remember that. Maybe she didn't want to hurt Milton's feelings even more?
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it there's another reason for her to be less than trustful of Milton. His drones came after her and one of them gave her an involuntary haircut.
lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobster109 wrote:
Aha. I'm not happy about how Glossie acted there, but it wasn't because she refused help. She has the right to accept or refuse help as she wishes. I'm sad that she'd be scornful towards someone who was trying to be friendly. She's the aggressor in this one, taking the first jab, giving the personal insult. I'm relieved that Milton didn't hear the subtext in her words: no, I don't want help from you you immoral scum.

Yeah, her response could be seen as a little rude. We have to remember that she doesn't know him well though. To her it just looks likes "sexbot maker patriarchy supporter guy" just ignored my refusal.

To the reader it looks like "adorable, dorky Milton just being his ol' adorable, dorky self."

tricksterson wrote:
Now that you mention it there's another reason for her to be less than trustful of Milton. His drones came after her and one of them gave her an involuntary haircut.

True.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: