welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It had to come to this (do Martian Kyo a favor thread)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: It had to come to this (do Martian Kyo a favor thread) Reply with quote

So my friend and I worked on website and now it's live.

tsosm (read it out loud to get what it means)

What I ask of you? Your opinion (I suppose I want an honest one Smile)
What should be better?
What you think is good about it?
Would you use this site?

The back story
It's sort of a news aggregator, a single-user* reddit. Its 'selling' point is fun interface, we wanted avoid the boring text searches and links.
You search by selecting up to 5 categories and clicking find, and you get your customized feed. You can also combine tags to get interesting results.

Right now there isn't a lot of content but it should be enough to give you the idea.

Thanks! And I hope you enjoy it!

*at this point of time we are saying no to comments and such things[/url]

Last edited by Martian Kyo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool! But why does the top bar disappear when scrolling?
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't. What browser are you using. I am guessing you're viewing it on Safari. Cause we haven't tested it much on that browser.

I'll make a note of that.

And thanks for visiting, come again! Smile
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess again Smile

Firefox 17.0.1 on Fedora 17 (64 bit)
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS strange.
Firefox behaved normally, and is pretty well tested. I just checked on Firefox 17.0.1 on window 7 64 bit.

Although haven't tried on a Linux box.....damn do I a have to test all the system and browser combinations, not only browser.

Can I be angry at you for using that configuration instead? Smile

I'll try to replicate it.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm

I get the same result on chrome. And on my android phone (again in firefox, where there's also a weird flashing white stripe at the top of the screen when I scroll).

And on firefox on windows XP. On IE8 there's no top bar at all.

So fix that css Smile

Oh and it's only accessible via www. not via http://tsosm.com

As for hosting, have you considered using a virtual server from rackspace or something instead of godaddy? It's a little more expensive but you get to play around with cool server stuff Very Happy
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's already alarming. I'll have to check on more computers.
I know on android phones it has the bug.

As for hosting it's on Amazon, only the domain is registered at godaddy
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole time I thought you meant that the left-hand navigation with icons disappears, and you were talking about the title bar with site name and login, logout links, right?

If you were talking about that, it was actually intended for it to disappear when you scroll. Smile

So it's not a bug it's a feature, but I might reconsider it.

Thanks for noticing the www subdomain redirection, my friend is working on that.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's that feature alright Smile
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it a content aggregation thingy?

ooh, good luck. those can suck a lot of time really, really fast.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: It had to come to this Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
So my friend and I worked on website and now it's live.

tsosm (read it out loud to get what it means)

What I ask of you? Your opinion (I suppose I want an honest one Smile)
What should be better?
What you think is good about it?
Would you use this site?

The back story
It's sort of a news aggregator, a single-user* reddit. Its 'selling' point is fun interface, we wanted avoid the boring text searches and links.
You search by selecting up to 5 categories and clicking find, and you get your customized feed. You can also combine tags to get interesting results.

Right now there isn't a lot of content but it should be enough to give you the idea.

Thanks! And I hope you enjoy it!

*at this point of time we are saying no to comments and such things[/url]

I like it. The categories thing is interesting and quite intuitive. I dunno about the feed being to the right, it feels slightly weird.

Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. There's a lot of empty space to the left of the selections. Seems like the news part could be given more. I didn't intuitively know how to add things to the five slots. I tried drag-and-drop first (too many iphone games), then clicked.

I'm also not sure why, when mousing over an article, it has the letters A-F. I'm guessing based on the color scheme and the error I get when I click on them that it tells the aggregator what sorts of things you like. The internet standard seems to be stars (1 to 5), so it may be counterintuitive.

I'd also like to see the bottom bar that rolls up when you mouse over an article disappear entirely. Move the voting thing to the top bar and make the whole cell a clickable link to the article (removing the need for the "open" link). If you also made those cells larger (see first point) the top bar wouldn't get cramped.

Everything is social these days. Can you shoehorn Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ into this somehow? I don't know... make it automatically post to your FB feed every time you look at the "beauties" feed saying, "I'm being naughty, but if you ask I'm just appreciating the artistic composition - the lighting on her tits is perfect!"

How come there are no male beauties? Are you reddit already?
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do like it. I've been reading articles on it all morning (among other very important tasks, naturally). Found out about sub-Kelvin particles that may explain the effects of dark matter, even.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I like it. There's a lot of empty space to the left of the selections. Seems like the news part could be given more. I didn't intuitively know how to add things to the five slots. I tried drag-and-drop first (too many iphone games), then clicked.

Yes on a wide screen it is a bit empty, on iPad it fits perfectly (unintentional). But yes we need to fill the space with something, might have some little features, but don't want it to be too busy.

A LOT of people say that about dragging and dropping. We might add that option at some point. Even though clicking is a faster way to add, dragin is sometimes better, and cooler.

Quote:

I'm also not sure why, when mousing over an article, it has the letters A-F. I'm guessing based on the color scheme and the error I get when I click on them that it tells the aggregator what sorts of things you like. The internet standard seems to be stars (1 to 5), so it may be counterintuitive.

The scale seems unnatural to a lot of people. However this grading scale is just a place holder we plan to introduce various grading scales for different type of content. It is very possible it will have reaction scales, describing how the article effected you more than a simple good-bad scale.

Quote:

I'd also like to see the bottom bar that rolls up when you mouse over an article disappear entirely. Move the voting thing to the top bar and make the whole cell a clickable link to the article (removing the need for the "open" link). If you also made those cells larger (see first point) the top bar wouldn't get cramped.

I like suggestion A LOT, I will definitaly try it.

Quote:

Everything is social these days. Can you shoehorn Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ into this somehow? I don't know... make it automatically post to your FB feed every time you look at the "beauties" feed saying, "I'm being naughty, but if you ask I'm just appreciating the artistic composition - the lighting on her tits is perfect!"

For now we are avoiding the social aspect, we don't want to do comments and stuff. But a share button would be good.

Quote:

How come there are no male beauties? Are you reddit already?

This was discussed often, and there's very selfish reason for not adding this, neither me nor my friend don't have interest in male beauties and neither of us wanted to fill content for that category so we left it out.

Thanks a bunch Dogen, you've put a lot of though into these.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I really do like it. I've been reading articles on it all morning (among other very important tasks, naturally). Found out about sub-Kelvin particles that may explain the effects of dark matter, even.

This is like the best thing I read in a while. I am glad you got something interesting from the site. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: