welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Religion, Atheism, What-Have-You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
this whole discussion is basically just academic at this point since everyone knows that if you're not a supralapsarian hyper-calvinist you're going to burn in hell.

I'll bring the marshmallows!
Finnegan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
But some circumstancies have forged me strong in the atheist hardline (no gods, no ghosts, no supernatural beings of any kind, no things like magic or faeries or similar).

that would be pretty amusing to find the existence of god so irrational that even the possibility is beyond belief and yet totally believe that ghosts and faeries and magic are real. Very Happy

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Arkhron wrote:
But some circumstancies have forged me strong in the atheist hardline (no gods, no ghosts, no supernatural beings of any kind, no things like magic or faeries or similar).

that would be pretty amusing to find the existence of god so irrational that even the possibility is beyond belief and yet totally believe that ghosts and faeries and magic are real. Very Happy

There are people who do actually believe in magical entities and supernatural happenings while not believing in a montheistic god. Lots in the neo-pagan communities.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like to live in a world made of mass and energy held up by four interactions. My daily dose of shock and awe comes by learning new things, usually natural sciences, but lately I am being introduced in social ones.

By you, mainly. Get proud! xDDDD

And I am not a beligerant atheist. I dont like to engage in shouting matches with religious people. Damn, I don't like even to talk about their faith/my no-faith. This covers serious* religions: christianity, islam, hebraic, hinduist... yeah, even wiccan, in its aspect of religion miscellanea of pagan beliefs. I dont think buddhism is a religion at all, and it encores my favorite personal tennets Very Happy

Mmm... I must confess my atheism (science-ism?) ignites with some topics. Homeopathy, astrology, numberology, magic, iridiology, acupuncture, alien visitation... It is my personal shame, but I call all of this (and maybe more things I cant remember now) as BIG bullshit and go full volcano against it. In essence, if it can't stand the sincere examination of the scientific community I have a sharp pitchfork for it.

I have a personal dislike for vegans. No rational "why", but I have never meet one vegan that seemed sane. For example, I had a vegan flatmate that, if she had to choose to save only one between a unknow child or a unknow dog in inminent danger... She would save the dog. No joke here.

*Scientology, fundamentalist one-book-religions and that kind of extremist are out of this clause. I really enjoy their reaction about my atheism and I confess I troll a bit around them. Not cool. I know u.u

Be compassionate
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Thank you for knowing my thoughts better than myself and making them so clear, Sojobo.

You're welcome. Always happy to be of service.

bitflipper wrote:
So tell me what I want for lunch, now.

Well, taking into account the fact that you are an engineer, meaning you are slow to change your mind once it has been made up, and the fact that you are an engineer, so you refuse to admit that there aren't alternate options beyond the obviously moral one, and also the fact that you are an engineer, so you think it's just natural for risky actions to have negative consequences:

I'd say that what you want for lunch is for men to have their "right" to turning their seed into children to be acknowledged with the legal ability to punish the women they slept with by forcing them to carry fetuses to term because, dammit, they knew what they were getting into.
Arkhron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo, you are the worst kind of troll that exists, the boring one. Go big or go home. If you ask with education maybe Dennis or McDermott would teach you how to zing people.

You monster.

Be compassionate
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Sojobo, you are the worst kind of troll that exists, the boring one. Go big or go home. If you ask with education maybe Dennis or McDermott would teach you how to zing people.

You monster.

It is interesting that you mention Dennis and McDermott, as I am quite confident that both of them will find my post entertaining.

I do not think that either of them will find your post entertaining.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most engineers actually have to be pretty flexible in order to stay relevant unless they end up on legacy systems/maintaining old-as-shit crap/designing toasters/being terrible teachers

brb designing a toaster

you monster

Arkhron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
It is interesting that you mention Dennis and McDermott, as I am quite confident that both of them will find my post entertaining.

And here you are, again telling us how other persons feel/think/act. At least now you say "quite confident" instead of saying what are passing through their heads.

Why do you feel empowered to act that way? Do you see yourself like, dunno, a puppet master or psychologist expert able to read minds and intentions?

At this point I don't know if I am painting a bullseye in my back but I think that behavior yours is annoying and boring. And maybe offensive to the persons you "mindread"

You toaster.

Be compassionate
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having flashbacks to the conversation about fucking a sentient toaster.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
And here you are, again telling us how other persons feel/think/act. At least now you say "quite confident" instead of saying what are passing through their heads.

You twice quote me explicitly stating I was predicting their response. This isn't just slightly different from telling you how they feel - the acknowledgement that I am not reading their minds is exactly the opposite of your complaint. You could not be more wrong.

I was actually mean to bitflipper. Surely you could find a better way to complain about that than by watering it down by likening it my thinking Dennis and Monkey will like my post. You're almost making it sound like I wasn't mean at all!

Arkhron wrote:
Why do you feel empowered to act that way? Do you see yourself like, dunno, a puppet master or psychologist expert able to read minds and intentions?

I feel empowered to claim Dennis and Monkey will like my post more than yours because I have known them both on this forum for like six or seven years. I have experience with the posts they make. I really can't comprehend how you think I'd have to consider myself an expert psychologist or mind reader to make such a prediction.

Arkhron wrote:
At this point I don't know if I am painting a bullseye in my back but I think that behavior yours is annoying and boring. And maybe offensive to the persons you "mindread"

I understand why you want to defend bitflipper. His comments were slightly thoughtless, not evil, and deserved only a small part of the mockery I've aimed his way. I'm not planning to insult you for trying to be nice.

But I do not understand how you could possibly pretend I'm being mean to Dennis and Monkey. You've wandered off in a direction I didn't even know existed and are making no sense to me at all. I was going to continue mocking you for the irony of being even more boring than me while calling me boring, but now I'm starting to worry that we're actually not going to be able to communicate at all.
Arkhron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
I understand why you want to defend bitflipper. His comments were slightly thoughtless, not evil, and deserved only a small part of the mockery I've aimed his way. I'm not planning to insult you for trying to be nice.

That was unexpected and kind, thanks ^^

Sojobo wrote:
But I do not understand how you could possibly pretend I'm being mean to Dennis and Monkey.

And there I am lost too. At nowhere I intended to say that you were being mean to them, only that you were telling how should they feel/think/whatever. In any case I take your point of knowing them for years and retire that. As I've said other times, english is not my native and it's kinda hard to express myself properly.

And don't mock my italics. I like them:D

Be compassionate
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
And there I am lost too. At nowhere I intended to say that you were being mean to them, only that you were telling how should they feel/think/whatever.

You complained that I was trolling bitflipper. Then you complained that I was telling you how bitflipper and Dennis and Monkey feel/think/act. You questioned why I felt empowered to do so.

If you consider the behaviour to be trolling bitflipper, I can't help but conclude that you think I was also trolling Dennis and Monkey.

I find it bewildering, because I acted completely different toward bitflipper than toward Dennis and Monkey, and I can't understand how you could lump the behaviours together in the way you did.
Arkhron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I see why, thanks. Well, it's right. I didn't see forward the implications of that but now that you neon sign-ed them...

I concurr. Somehow I would be offended too if someone tells another person how I will react to something. I would feel like that person thinks that has "figured" me and can toy me for his/her amusement.

To express myself better: Only the dullest simpletons can be predicted. If you predict them, you are impliciting that they are. With the addendum of your mutual relationship of years maybe not, and that is why I retire the charge (again) Razz

Be compassionate
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Arkhron; I appreciate your understanding.

But Sojo's "predictions" aren't worth arguing over; he undermined himself the minute he claimed to know thoughts outside of his own head, making any point he may have had meaningless. Add to that his apparent inability to stick to the topic at hand, ranging instead to fellatio, abortions, and his braggadocio regarding his poor manners, and we can begin to get an impression of what sad and disorganized state his thoughts may be in. Perhaps medication could help, but the evidence of this thread strongly suggests that argument will merely encourage or provoke further random gibberish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 13 of 45

Jump to: